Intermittent Hard Shifting and Strong Exhaust Smell at Startup

Grogger42

TDI
2004 Jetta
Love my 2004 Jetta tdi, but frustrating at times! :) Looking for suggestions.
The car starts like a charm, but when cold, intermittently will have a hard shift- especially between 1-2 and 2-3. There is also a strong exhaust odor at startup. Once warm the problem is gone- exhaust odor gone- still not the smoothest shift from 2-3, but that's a Jetta.
In the last 6 months I have replaced all solenoids, tranny sensor CEL was on so changed that, coolant sensor changed, car was reset at a shop, tranny fluid was checked and is OK.
After reading through this forum, great info by the way, I'm going to take out the battery and clean the grounds underneath. I'm also wondering if it could be a engine temperature sensor? The temp gauge shows the car warms up, perhaps a bit slow, but after a short drive.
Any suggestions as the fumes are quite strong at startup, but can't figure out this issue.

Last edited:

Grogger42

TDI
2004 Jetta
Solved half the issue through my own stupidity. Finally realized after searching the for the exhaust odor that I had not replaced the rubber seal at the top of the engine allowing the exhaust to come through into my airs vents- problem solved.
Other problem still there but narrowed down- if I leave it in drive then occasionally after slowing down to stop the shifting will get violent between 1-2 and 2-3. Stop it and restart and problem gone- if the car is warm problem gone. If I put it in neutral and glide to a stop, I can then put it into gear and no violent shift. Tells me it is something to do with the transmission appearing when I decelerate.
Could it be a ground issue? If not could it be the transmission temperature sensor as the solenoids have been replaced recently. Would love any other suggestions before tackling that job,