'14 Jetta TDI rims fit my '14 Passat TDI?

TDI
'98 VW Golf mk4 (euro)
Long story short, I'm trying to figure out if my '14 Jetta TDI rims with tires will fit on my '14 Passat SE TDI and vis-versa? Essentially I wanna swap rims with tires between the passat and jetta. How could I find out of that'll work?

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
They will not fit.
The bolt pattern on the Jetta is 5x100 and the Passat is 5x112

Skimax

Veteran Member
TDI
97 B4 variant(retired at 330K), 2000 B5 1.8T passat retired, 2013 SE (buyback5/17) 2015 SEL, 2015 E-Golf SEL sold March 2019, 2018 Volt LT and a 2007 PRHT MX5 for fun
I doubt they would clear the calipers even if the bolt pattern is the same.

TDI
'98 VW Golf mk4 (euro)
I I've read a couple places that the 5x112 is the bolt pattern for both. I guess now I need to know if there is clearance issues?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Check the weight capacity of the Jetta tires. They might not be strong enough for the (marginally) heavier NMS Passat.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
IIRC, 16"s might have issues clearing the front calipers.
I ditched the 18" rims that came on my '14 Passat and replaced them with 16" Biolines from a Jetta.
16" rims are the stock size on the base gasser Passats. The offset is a little different 50 for the Jetta rims & 43 for the Passat. You might want to use a 7mm wheel spacer to correct the offset when using Jetta rims on a Passat. I thought about it but I didn't. Jetta tires if memory serves me correctly are 205/55/16 and the Passat requires a 215/60/16 tire. So yes the rims are swappable but the tires are not.

Last edited:

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I had a 2005.5 Jetta and the wheels from that car fit my 2014 Passat. They were a smaller size though. I had new snow tires on the wheels, didn't have the Jetta anymore, and needed snows for the Passat. Worked fine except for the size difference.

TDI
'98 VW Golf mk4 (euro)
I ditched the 18" rims that came on my '14 Passat and replaced them with 16" Biolines from a Jetta.
16" rims are the stock size on the base gasser Passats. The offset is a little different 50 for the Jetta rims & 43 for the Passat. You might want to use a 7mm wheel spacer to correct the offset when using Jetta rims on a Passat. I thought about it but I didn't. Jetta tires if memory serves me correctly are 205/55/16 and the Passat requires a 215/60/16 tire. So yes the rims are swappable but the tires are not.

So if I put the passat wheel/tire combo on the jetta, it'll rub a lot and pretty much not drivable?

TDI
'98 VW Golf mk4 (euro)

So if I put the passat wheel/tire combo on the jetta, it'll rub a lot and pretty much not drivable?

The jetta wheels/tires should fit the passat no problem then?

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
I have 2008 16" Jetta rims for winter use, the caliper clears by about 1cm so have the tire shop put the sticky weights on the far inside of the wheel- id post a picture but photobucket went down, here is a video that kind of shows them at the 30 second mark
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPICkoXTOAs

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
The jetta wheels/tires should fit the passat no problem then?
Yes, they will fit. But why do you want to run shorter and narrower tires on your Passat? What is your intention or reasoning for doing so? Most people do not want to reduce the footprint they usually want to increase it. What you are proposing to do makes no sense to me.:confused:

TDI
'98 VW Golf mk4 (euro)
Yes, they will fit. But why do you want to run shorter and narrower tires on your Passat? What is your intention or reasoning for doing so? Most people do not want to reduce the footprint they usually want to increase it. What you are proposing to do makes no sense to me.:confused:
I own both cars and am waiting on the buyback. The Jetta will be the first to go and I'll drive the Passat until probably May 18 before being turned in. The Jetta has brand new tires and the Passat tires won't make it through the winter. I'm trying to avoid shelling out any cash for tires on something I will get rid of in less than a year.

I was hoping to just turn in the Jetta with the Passat wheels/crappy tires and just drive the Passat with the Jetta wheels and new tires until turn in.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
^That should work fine. Skinnier snow tires can actually be advantageous.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
^That should work fine. Skinnier snow tires can actually be advantageous.
He is not talking snow tires. He is talking about putting a new set of Jetta tires on the Passat and driving it for another year. They are not just skinnier they are also much shorter. The car was not designed for that tire size. I don't know what the load rating is but the Passat is a slightly heavier car.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I own both cars and am waiting on the buyback. The Jetta will be the first to go and I'll drive the Passat until probably May 18 before being turned in. The Jetta has brand new tires and the Passat tires won't make it through the winter. I'm trying to avoid shelling out any cash for tires on something I will get rid of in less than a year.
I was hoping to just turn in the Jetta with the Passat wheels/crappy tires and just drive the Passat with the Jetta wheels and new tires until turn in.
I say turn in the Passat first and drive the Jetta with the new proper tires until you turn it in. To each his own. It's your choice. I would not want to drive the Passat for a year with undersize tires. Tires are the only thing between your car and the road. Think safety vs economy. It's your car and your life.

Last edited:

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I say turn in the Passat first and drive the Jetta with the new proper tires until you turn it in. To each his own. It's your choice. I would not want to drive the Passat for a year with undersize tires. Tires are the only thing between your car and the road. Think safety vs economy. It's your car and your life.

That makes sense to me. I think he'd be fine swapping the wheels/tires too. The passat can't be that much heavier. The Speedo would need recalibrating, but that's not a big deal.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
This discussion is moot until we know what the load rating is for the Jetta tires. The WHEELS will fit, but it's quite possible the tires won't be up to it.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
He should be fine with the jetta tires on the passat as long as he avoids hauling over 600 lbs. of passengers and cargo.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
He should be fine with the jetta tires on the passat as long as he avoids hauling over 600 lbs. of passengers and cargo.
4 200lb men exceed your limits. I don't know why you are encouraging him. 3 200lb persons and 2 sacks of dog food exceed your limit! Should I go on? Probably not eh?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
4 200lb men exceed your limits. I don't know why you are encouraging him. 3 200lb persons and 2 sacks of dog food exceed your limit! Should I go on? Probably not eh?
I don't think it's a huge safety issue. I drove Volvos for years (that had nearly the exact same curb weight as the passat) with smaller tires than the jetta, that undoubtedly had less max load rating. I frequently loaded those cars to the hilt and never had a problem. Maybe the op could enlighten us with the max load rating for his jetta's tires. He might be able to safely haul over 1000 lbs in the passat w them.

Last edited:

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
I don't think it's a huge safety issue.
You don't think?.........why did VW spec the size tire for the Passat that they did?
Plus the car will just not feel or perform correctly on the highway. As I said before turn in the Passat first drive the Jetta for the next year. That's a no brainer in my book.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
To each their own. Imo, the passat would not be a rolling death trap with 205/55/R16 tires. But turning in the passat first would be easier, and seems like a logical way to go.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
To each their own. Imo, the passat would not be a rolling death trap with 205/55/R16 tires. But turning in the passat first would be easier, and seems like a logical way to go.
Without running out to the garage and digging my winter tires/wheels out, I'll just go by memory and say I'm running the Jetta wheels with Michelin's 205/55/16s and find no issues. The calipers are very close, but they don't rub. It does irk me that you can't put chains on the Passat due to clearance issues.

MichaelB

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Passat SE DSG
Without running out to the garage and digging my winter tires/wheels out, I'll just go by memory and say I'm running the Jetta wheels with Michelin's 205/55/16s and find no issues. The calipers are very close, but they don't rub. It does irk me that you can't put chains on the Passat due to clearance issues.
I know that I said Nuff said but why does this conversation keep coming back to snow tires? When I owned my JSW I had the proper size snow tire and I seriously thought about running them on my Passat well, better sense said to me get the correct size tire. So I sold off the Jetta size snows. Just because you ran undersize winter tires and did not crash, well take it from there. Imagine how much better you car would drive in snowy weather with the correct size tire.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
So much concern with people running under sized tires for safety, yet others here have had no issues with going a size larger tire for economy or larger size rim for looks.

Compared a 2010 Mk5 jetta DSG diesel 3330# to a 2012 Passat 3360#

WOW THATS HUGE!!! OMG EVERYONE CHECK THEIR LOAD RATING OF THEIR TIRES EVERYEONE DIES IF THEY RUN SMALLED DEATH TIRES ON THE PASSAT!!!!

Yeah sure the Mk6 jetta is lighter, but its only 3210#.

The \Passat is much larger but they stripped so much out of the car to get the size, but not the "density" of older VWs.

I say to the OP, biggest concern is where they place those wheel weights on the rim, I imagine these are Biolines. If not placed correctly they will drag on the caliper and rip the weight off, found out first hand when i tried to make an old jetta bioline a fullsize spare for the wife, didn't make it more than 5 feet before I found the problem.

As for the undersized tire, go for it, you won't kill anyone cause it's rolling a few more times a mile. I ran 205-60-16 on the old Jetta for 40K no issues.

The difference between stock Passat 16" 215-60-16 and 205-55-16 isn't night and day, the speedometer will be high and if you calculate MPG, it'll be a bit high.

Also the weight savings of the "16 rim tire combo and narrower contact patch may actually help your actual mpg over the bloated "18 rims.

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I put the 16" tires and wheels off of my 2005.5 Jetta onto my 2014 Passat for 3 winters with no issues at all. I work 420 miles from home and stay close to work when working. But I drive 7 hrs home and back quite a few times each year, and I drove in snow over mountain passes and across the state with no issues at all. So if this was unsafe, guess I was lucky. As for handling worse than the correct Passat tires, I have driven VW's all my life and with decent snow tires, the 16" tires handled just as well as the 17" passat tires I ran last winter.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I know that I said Nuff said but why does this conversation keep coming back to snow tires? When I owned my JSW I had the proper size snow tire and I seriously thought about running them on my Passat well, better sense said to me get the correct size tire. So I sold off the Jetta size snows. Just because you ran undersize winter tires and did not crash, well take it from there. Imagine how much better you car would drive in snowy weather with the correct size tire.
Who made you the wheel police?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,

Its been proven narrower tires perform way better in the snow than wide planks of the 17"- 18" "bling" rims VW tossed on many Passats.

I'm very confident each year I put "16s on the wifes passat, granted we bought the tire/wheel combo new and they are the correct size. But if I had a set of 16" snows off the jetta, I would have tossed them on her car to save the 400-500 bucks.

Guess everyone is entitled to their opinion and wallets!