Mechanic put in wrong oil

Cazador

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
What should I do? I took my 2012 Jetta TDI Sportswagen into independent shop and had the oil changed. When I checked the invoice I saw he put Total Quartz 5w-40 full synthetic in my car. I looked it up and it doesn't comply with 507.00 specs. Should I drain it and change the oil again or am I ok?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
If it isn't the correct oil take it back and have it redone with the correct oil. Sooner better than later. Find a new mechanic if they don't know which oil to put in your car. Checked the trusted mechanics list for one near you.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
To avoid further confusion, buy your own oil, which they should pay for.
Probably no damage if you get it done sone.

FowVay

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta returned to der Führer
This product isn't even a mid-SAPS fluid. I personally would drain it and replace it with the correct product. Some 5W-40 oils that meet the MB 229.51 and BMW LL-04 specifications can be substituted without much fear of damage but this particular oil (likely their 9000 series) isn't one of those oils.

Cazador

TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Then would this oil be good up to the 10,000 miles or should I change it at 5,000?

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You should change it for the correct oil as soon as possible. I would get it done today but a few days or so won't hurt either. If you are waiting for 1000's of miles you are making a mistake.

TDI Kovács

Veteran Member
TDI
Two Preban TDI's; One "FIXED" TDI.
You have a TDI so you also have a DPF. If the oil isn't low ash, all it will do is clog the DPF sooner among other things.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
I thought dealers were the only ones who made mistakes like this. I guess anyone can make a mistake.
A mistake would be them putting in an oil they thought met the 507 spec (picked up the wrong bottle or the like).
This incident sounds more like a case of incompetence/indifference to me.

Last edited:

roostre

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf TDI DSG
I thought dealers were the only ones who made mistakes like this. I guess anyone can make a mistake.
Good one "DogParkGuy". I enjoyed your comment.

I know from personal experience it is easier to make a mistake occasionally than to be perfect all the time.
Fortunately "Cazador" noticed the shop's mistake and had it corrected before it became a problem.

LarBear

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI DSG
In my experience the only people who never make mistakes are those who never do anything. OTOH, if you don't know what oil to use look it up and if you don't have the correct oil get it. At least they're fixing their mistake.