HPFP Failure in V6 TDI, or only in 2.0 CR?

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 New Beetle, 2011 Touareg TDI
Hey everyone,

I Haven't seen anyone post a failure of their HPFP that drives a Touareg with the v6 tdi. So can we safely assume they arn't affected? Also, I noticed most failures in the USA, are there any failures reported in Canada? Does this point to a difference in fuel quality?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Hey everyone,

I Haven't seen anyone post a failure of their HPFP that drives a Touareg with the v6 tdi. So can we safely assume they arn't affected? Also, I noticed most failures in the USA, are there any failures reported in Canada? Does this point to a difference in fuel quality?
Haven't seen a report on the V6 yet.

Canada has the more stringent lubricity requirement.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
adblue

Does urea solution additive also have lubricity additives?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
I believe urea is injected AFTER combustion, in the exhaust, but I might just be peeing into the wind...

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
I believe urea is injected AFTER combustion, in the exhaust, but I might just be peeing into the wind...
:D b'dump-cheeeee (rim shot sound effect)

Yes- the adblue/urea injection system is completely different than the high pressure fuel pump feeding diesel through the common rail.

Lubricity is a non-issue in urea.

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up

Yes- the adblue/urea injection system is completely different than the high pressure fuel pump feeding diesel through the common rail.

OOooo, duh...Please forgive my mistake

Last edited:

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
Just heard of a guy in sweden that had his HPFP disentigrate on his 2008 V6 TDI touareg leaving metal shards in his fuel system, with the typical replacement of everything fuel related, this is with Euro fuel!

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just heard of a guy in sweden that had his HPFP disentigrate on his 2008 V6 TDI touareg leaving metal shards in his fuel system, with the typical replacement of everything fuel related, this is with Euro fuel!
This will mean nothng to most of us here unless you get us details.

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
This will mean nothng to most of us here unless you get us details.

http://www.clubtouareg.com/forums/f43/coolant-leak-driving-safery-47205.html
the link shows all the details i know..

HE said they replaced his fuel system under warranty, when asked about it he says.

"The reason given for replacing the complete fuel system was traces of metal chips from somewhere ending up in the HPFP. Most likely left in some part from manufacture and not cleaned properly before assembly."

sound familiar?

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Thanks, Trooper, for the link.

Curious that, at 7000k, the HPFP grenades and they blame it on sloppy manufacturing? That doesn't make sense to me.

DPM

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2019 Rav4 AWD Hybrid, Citroen C4 BlueHDI
As I've mentioned in the past, CR- pumps have been disintegrating here in Europe since 2000-ish. Early Peugeot HDIs were notorious for it...

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
Maybe this is really a pump manufacturing issue, i wonder if BOSCH makes all the pumps, including the ones BMW recalled.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Bosch pumps used by BMW diesels have been fine. HPFP recall was on their gassers.

ssamalin

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Mercedes E250 Blutec. Previously: 2006 Jetta TDI
Bosch pumps used by BMW diesels have been fine. HPFP recall was on their gassers.

BMW are 6cyl. Do any 6cyl HPFP explode? Is there any data on 6 vs 4, build date, model, manufacturers, that even slightly clarifies the defect? And yes I am deliberately saying defect.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
BMW also makes 4 cyl diesels that they sell in the rest of the world. Haven't heard about widespread Bosch diesel HPFP failures (4, 6 or 8 cyl) much outside the US, but DPM indicates above that there have been problems in the past.

T

TDI Rooster

Toureg TDI needs topping up/ replacing Ad-blue-Urea into injection system every 2 years, as told when at a dealer before taking on a Jetta TDI which doesn't need it because it's build on a different platform?

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Yes- The 4 cylinder CR does not use urea injection. The V6 CR does.

Harvieux

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
06 A5 Pkg.2 w/navi & ASEP
The local to me VW dealer has had an Audi Q7 3.0 V6 CR TDI require an entire fuel system replaced due to HPFP failure. This was several months ago and the shop foreman, who I know quite well, told me this issue is huge. They also had several VW Jetta/Golf CR HPFP failures as well. Later!

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
The problem seems much greater in the U.S.A. than in canada, if it in fact is a bad design problem. Keepin a keen eye out. I haven't seen very many posts about v6 tdi's only 2 known issues. Crossing my fingers that my touareg doesn't have any issues.

Cool Breeze

Veteran Member
TDI
BMW 335D
People seem to forget that parts which fail early in their life cycles is usually due to a build/design failure rather than the environment inwhich they're asked to perform. Lubricity related issues for a HPFP wouldn't manifest themselves until thousands of miles down the road.

Trooper81

Veteran Member
TDI
People seem to forget that parts which fail early in their life cycles is usually due to a build/design failure rather than the environment inwhich they're asked to perform. Lubricity related issues for a HPFP wouldn't manifest themselves until thousands of miles down the road.

BMW had problems with their gas hpfp, i even heard of a few Equinox and GMC terrains HPFP's blowing up on the new Direct injection engines. Could have been a bad batch, I don't see anyone even mentioning those issues.

ZiggyTheHamster

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 VW Jetta TDI
"Peeing into the wind" is pretty much exactly explaining what urea does... :p They inject it in the exhaust and expel it into the air. Since urea is similar to pee... You get why your comment is so funny :)

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
We have 1 CP3.5 and 2 CP4.0+ pumps, zero issues. No additives, just straight Shell #2 fuel.

I honestly think the failures are due to high moisture and then shipping time from the factory. Moisture will kill a pump quickly.

On a new TDI 2.0, I'd use some Power Service from day one up until around 10K once the pump has some miles on it. Gets rid of any free water and allows some time for the pump to settle in (just like the rings/cylinders on an engine).

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Just out of curiosity, can you get photos of the tags on your Benz CP4 pumps?

It'd be interesting to see what part Mercedes used there, versus what part VW used on the V6 TDIs.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Sure...

Bosch Part#'s

W211 - I6 - BOSCH# 0445010091 - CR/CP3S3/L90/20-89115
W164 - V6 - BOSCH# 0445010135 - CR/CP3S3/L90/20-89115
W164X - V6 - Same engine as the W164

The pumps are all a 3 plunger design with a single outlet and pressure/volume regulator.