98 Jetta tdi Hard to start hot, now no start

DRVRFWND

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd
I have a 1998 Jetta tdi

The car always started cold temp and hot temp (outside and engine)

A couple of weeks ago, i started having problems starting the car when the engine was warm. I would put the key in, cycle the glow plugs, starter would turn over for 5 sec, no start, repeat again, and then it would start!

Today, i woke up, went to work and then came to my car at my break 3 hours later and the car wouldn't even crank over?

waited 5 minutes there and then tried again, the starter was slow to turn, and then finally turned over and the car started.

took it to the coffee shop, and then turned the car off, and then immediately tried to start it up again, and no start

does anyone know what could be causing this issue? the battery is only 6months old and i have fresh injectors/nozzles in the car, glow plugs and glow plug harness is 6 months old too!

any suggestions or experiences appreciated

thank you
Vic

Yblocker

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Passat
Your first mistake was to stop for coffee.. HA
Start with the basics. Nave the battery checked even though it's new. Check alternator output. Check battery terminals, ground and starter connections. If all connections are good and the battery is charged, then perform a starter draw test to determine stater health. I'll wager connections are the probable cause for the no crank condition. Once the engine can be cranked at a normal speed, I'll bet the hard starts go away too......

Yblocker

Matt-98AHU

Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor
TDI
2001 Golf TDI, 2005 Passat wagon, 2004 Touareg V10.
I would suspect the ignition switch is flaking out on you.

Herm TDI

Vendor
Richmond, Maine...The far side of Witsend
TDI
2002 Golf GLS Malone Stage 3, P+520 nozzles, 11MM Inj pump, Sachs VR6 clutch, Stelth Race Pipe, Immo Deleat, EGR Deleat
IMHO:
You need to check / verifi the charging system.
Check the charge state of your battery (aka Specific gravity of each cell).

You may have a dead cell in your battery or your alternator output may be flakey.

With the engine off check the voltage at the batteery. You should see about 12 VDC.
With the engine running you should see about 13.5 VDC (at the battery).

Last edited:

DRVRFWND

TDI
2011 JSW TDI 6spd
just looked at the car.....

i found it weird that the car wasn't starting or even turning over, fresh batt, and recent starter >3years old.

so turns out that the nut that secures the batt cable to the alternator had magically came off?
i put a new nut there and were back in business!

thanks guys

Vic.

GreenVW

TDI
1998Jetta
i'm havin exact same problem....

Hello all.
New to TDi Forums, bought my first VW just 6months ago, 1998 Jetta TDi, LOVE IT!
Unfortunately i'm no mechanic-worst i know very little about cars, EXCEPT that i love driving them and know a good ride from a hollow piece of tin crap like so many domestics :(
So, to the point, i'll be having a friend of a friend VW mechanic check her out tomorrow and will mention to look for everything mentioned here. Will post again our findings.

sfierz

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Tornado Red Passat
Have you had trouble with the headlights or instruments going dead, too? If so, you could be having problems with the ignition switch.

I have a 1998 Jetta tdi

The car always started cold temp and hot temp (outside and engine)

A couple of weeks ago, i started having problems starting the car when the engine was warm. I would put the key in, cycle the glow plugs, starter would turn over for 5 sec, no start, repeat again, and then it would start!

Today, i woke up, went to work and then came to my car at my break 3 hours later and the car wouldn't even crank over?

waited 5 minutes there and then tried again, the starter was slow to turn, and then finally turned over and the car started.

took it to the coffee shop, and then turned the car off, and then immediately tried to start it up again, and no start

does anyone know what could be causing this issue? the battery is only 6months old and i have fresh injectors/nozzles in the car, glow plugs and glow plug harness is 6 months old too!

any suggestions or experiences appreciated

thank you
Vic