Stories when filling up at "gasoline station"

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
Quote:
Originally Posted by niteman9
Ya I am looking to buy a Jetta TDI and let the wife drive it some to keep the miles off here lease. She changed jobs and now drives farther than we planned. I told here it was costing me $110 dollars to fill up my truck and the Jetta would be like $60. She said she didn't want to drive that she can't afford $60 at one time. She has a Ford edge which she claims has never taken more than 11 gal to fill. Yet the manual states it has a 20 gal tank.

Old Navy said:
I go through the same thing from a friend with a Avalon, he says I have a much larger tank then he does and that's why I can go 700+ miles on a tank. He is right my tank is bigger, two gallons bigger. :eek:
__. 700 miles???? Why you'all talking about 700 miles? Honey, I love you but I'm not cuttin 2 inches off for anybody!

owr084

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat GLS, 2005, Stonehenge Gray
You're a better man than I am. I would have just stood back and watched. Hybrids are fine for some people, but Virginia insists on letting single occupant hybrids into the HOV lanes where they cause more pollution, burn more fuel, pollute more and cause more road damage than a single vehicle with 3 or 4 occupants. :mad:

midntdi said:
This happened to me while returning from my house in Wisconsin...
As I was pulling off the turnpike I was cut off by a prius (I dont usually care about this sort of thing im never in a real big hurry) and I get to the pumps and they are busy (except for the diesel ones) as I pull up to mine and start pumping I see the prius pull up across the way and as they are getting ready to pump, I go you know thats a diesel pump right? They go yeah, so what its open now the others arent. I go well diesel isnt made for you care, then the lady rolls her eyes and say "its a hybrid it can burn all fuels" well I just turned around and laughed inwardly but I did not have the heart to let her damage her car, so I turned around once mor and went well if you fill up with diesel you'll be paying 70 cents more per gallon, well she just stopped right there and put the nozzle away and got into a long line of cars for a gas pump.

DaMidget

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Q7 Premium Plus
Went to fillup today at my local Chevron - price on the sign was $4.25.... When I got to the pump, it was $4.099 :eek: I quickly slid my card to lock in the price. As I was filling up and entering everything into my smart phone's mobile Excel, I noticed that was the price from last week and I had driven by this Chevron a couple times and noticed the price was about $4.15 last week.

I was using the same pump, so I'm assuming they either have forgotten about that pump - or someone just doesn't care about the diesel price :cool:

midntdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE 6SP
I was really tempted to let her do it but I guess I'm just too nice, next time a prius cuts me off though I dont think I will say anything to them, i might even egg them on... he he

niteman9

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
This one was a while ago as D2 was around 2.60 a gallon. I pull up and start filling my truck. While I am standing there I look at the pump and think "Why are the gallons going up faster than the dollars?" I look at the price and it is 0.259. They had a price increase and someone programed the pump for 0.259 it should have been 2.599. I paid with a debit card and thought the may they would try to correct the charge when they relized what happened but they never did. 26 gallons for 7 bucks.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Why are you so proud to post how you knowingly cheated the station? If you knew it was incorrect you had a moral obligation to bring it to their attention. If it had been the other way around wouldn't you want to know? Try to do the right thing the next time.

Thunderstruck

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GTI SE 6M
If it wasn't for the fact they were trying to charge the higher price for fuel that's already been paid for I can see getting upset with the guy. While two wrongs don't make a right, it seems like fitting justice. They need to raise the price once they've filled the tank with more expensive fuel, not when the station across the street raises their price. Getting a load of more expensive fuel is a justifiable reason to raise prices. The competition raising their price is not.
OldNavy-you're probably right. I'm sure they took it out of his profit sharing/401K or his most excellent health care plan.

niteman9

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta
Lightflyer1 said:
Why are you so proud to post how you knowingly cheated the station? If you knew it was incorrect you had a moral obligation to bring it to their attention. If it had been the other way around wouldn't you want to know? Try to do the right thing the next time.
I didn't cheat them out of anything. They had a price on the pump. Not my fault they screwed up. If they had 10 dollars on the pump and I did not notice and filled up its my own fault.

If I go into a store I don't ask "are you sure this is what you want for this" if it has a price on it thats the price. Thats the law here in Michigan.

Old Navy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
None now, .
I know the owner of the store and he has had the same person do mis-pricing once before on the pumps and has had other problems with the individual.

I asked him why he raises pump price multi times before they even get a fresh load of fuel. He says they do not pay for fuel on delivery, but daily. He says every morning he does his "books" and if I understand it correctly he does electronic cash transfer from his bank on cash sales, and that CC users are done separately at time of sale. In other words the station is operating on what amounts to the futures market style sales with AMOCO oil company and he says it is almost every station is doing it, due to large cash outlays.

When I asked the guy that runs the MFA CC only station where I buy fuel and he said basically the same thing happens at MFA, except it is slower process for a rather convoluted reason I really didn't understand.

This requires me to swallow a lot of things I find strange about the oil & fuel business, but maybe as some on the news & talk channels it is more the fault of speculators. Myself I don't think it is all speculators, I think OPEC is also a big culprit and with those two involved we don't stand a chance. :mad:

Last edited:

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
You said in your own post that the person programmed it wrong. You knew it was incorrect. I doubt their sign had the incorrect price on it. The law also allows for mistakes for either party. Whether the law allows it doesn't make it morally right. "You" knew it was wrong and was just a mistake you took advantage of. People should be able to do the right thing regardless of what the law is. Like I said if it was your store and your employee mistakenly did this, would you like it if everyone in town came and drained your tanks at .259 a gallon? I think not.

dieselgrandad

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 Silver B4 Passat
Not my fault they screwed up. If they had 10 dollars on the pump and I did not notice and filled up its my own fault.
And you're saying that when you caught it you wouldn't have tried to recoup the difference? C'mon.

I thought we already beat this horse, or am I having deja vu all over again?

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
dieselgrandad said:
I thought we already beat this horse, or am I having deja vu all over again?
__. Not to mix metaphors but this is "deja moo" - yupp, we've heard all this bull sh!t before.

90hpisntenough

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
I believe these are "stories when filling up at the 'gasoline station'" not "stories and then let's all whine back and forth about it". I guess it's just all of these politics in the news lately rubbing off on everyone...

Lightflyer1 said:
You said in your own post that the person programmed it wrong. You knew it was incorrect. I doubt their sign had the incorrect price on it. The law also allows for mistakes for either party. Whether the law allows it doesn't make it morally right. "You" knew it was wrong and was just a mistake you took advantage of. People should be able to do the right thing regardless of what the law is. Like I said if it was your store and your employee mistakenly did this, would you like it if everyone in town came and drained your tanks at .259 a gallon? I think not.

Bora-chiara

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH, BHW, CKRA
Filled up my mum's Chevy Venture for a road trip she is taking today, not on my tab for the record. $100.00 for 26 Gal. OUCH. and the trip computer said i'd only get 499 miles. It hurt putting in RUG.

weirdajs

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 New Beetle TDI
I had someone come out tell me sir do you know that is a diesel pump:D yeah i know it is a diesel:p Also someone look at me funny when i pull up to a truck stop.A guy driving a chevy duramax sliverado was like gas pump are over there face:D On a side note THANK YOU for this forum:cool: :)

Ben1000

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Baltic Green 5spd
Yay I finially have a pump story I must be a full-fledged member now.

Last night after pulling up to a combo gas/diesel pump an F-something pulled up behind me and honked.

I got out and started pumping, then a short while later he got out of the truck and said something like "hey boy that's D-cell yer puttin in yer honda."

I responded that I was aware it's diesel and that it is actually a diesel car.

This apparently went right over his head because his next statement was "use one of dem other pumps next time so D-cell don't hef to wait."

He walked away after saying that so I missed any opportunity for any further debate. Probably a good thing though, I believe if "diesel" + "car" had registered with him he would have been confused which leads to anger in these sorts of individuals.

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I had another miles per tankful discussion with someone who thought the $4.22 I was spending per gallon must be making me resonsider my diesel choice, it being so expensive. When I commented on how many MILES PER TANK FULL I was getting (650 this time), the fact settled in. Even at $4.22 per gallon I was blowing his 350 tank miles at $3.65 out the wazoo.

$4.22, and STILL cheaper. :D *AND THAT'S BIODIESEL* ;)

~BeetleGo

ncinpa

TDI
Jetta TDI (2006.5)
This past Saturday (5/10/08) I happened to be in South Carolina, where the price of diesel is lower than it is in my home (NC). I saw a Kangaroo Station up ahead that advertised diesel for 4.09. After taking a tour of the pumps in front and not seeing any diesel, I drove around back to the truck fueling area and there was only one "auto diesel" nozzle. And a big RV with no one in sight and not being refueled was parked in front of it. I pulled in behind and waited. After about five minutes, an old gentleman came out, got into the RV, exited and started walking back into the store. I got out, called to him and asked if he was going to be much longer. He replied that this was diesel island and I should go to the gas pumps in front. I replied that my car was a diesel and that he was parked in front of the only nozzle that would fit my car. He said OK and that he would only be a couple of minutes more. But then he stopped turned around and looked at the pump and saw that he was blocking the only "auto diesel" pump. He started laughing, smacked himself in the head, got in his RV and pulled up so I could refuel. I thanked him when he walked past to go into the store.

n1das

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2014 BMW 535xd ///M-Sport, 2012 BMW X5 Xdrive35d, former 3x TDI owner
BeetleGo said:
I had another miles per tankful discussion with someone who thought the $4.22 I was spending per gallon must be making me resonsider my diesel choice, it being so expensive. When I commented on how many MILES PER TANK FULL I was getting (650 this time), the fact settled in. Even at $4.22 per gallon I was blowing his 350 tank miles at $3.65 out the wazoo.

$4.22, and STILL cheaper. :D *AND THAT'S BIODIESEL* ;)

~BeetleGo
Ben1000, great story! A HONDA DIESEL? :confused: I know they're coming to the USA but it sounds like you have the first one! LOL. :cool: The F-something driver probably doesn't know the difference between a Honda and a VW. All he sees is "car" instead of "truck". Maybe it was a good thing he didn't stick around to continue any conversation.

BeetleGo, I've had a few of those conversations at the pump although nothing recently. I'm waiting for it to happen as gas and diesel prices continue to climb. The TDI's tank range really hits home and helps put things into perspective. This is why I ALWAYS mention the tank range in ANY conversation at the pumps. :cool:

TDIs are fun!

Last edited:

90hpisntenough

Veteran Member
TDI
1999.5 Jetta TDI
Ben1000 said:
He walked away after saying that so I missed any opportunity for any further debate. Probably a good thing though, I believe if "diesel" + "car" had registered with him he would have been confused which leads to anger in these sorts of individuals.
Haha, great story. You're right though dumb people get angry when they get confused..."Only them there ford trucks run on diesel, ain't no dern cars be runnin on it, I know's it too I grew up on these here thingamabobbers, why back in my day...."

Anyways my story is the story of NOT pumping diesel due to the $4.50 charge, I decided to re-finance my home so I could stop by and top her off.

lovemybug

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Red Beetle
I think the next trend you'll start seeing is the combination gas station/convenience store/pawn shop. How else are we going to be able to afford to fill up?:mad:

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
lovemybug said:
I think the next trend you'll start seeing is the combination gas station/convenience store/pawn shop. How else are we going to be able to afford to fill up?:mad:
Then, combination fuel station/bank:D

Hwguy

TDI
None, looking at the 09
Bob_Fout said:
Then, combination fuel station/bank:D
Actually Bob_Fout we already have a Bank/Fuel station combo. They have been in operation for probably about 6 years or so. I can see them adding another loan officer in the future if prices keep on rising :)

Sure have some inventive folk here in SW Ohio :D

Tbirdtree

Veteran Member
TDI
none at the moment
Had a good time a the station today. I'm up here in Oregon for a show, for those that don't know, you can't pump your own gas in Oregon, but you can pump diesel. Anyway, I pull up to the pump and get ready to start pumping, here comes the attendent to stop me, before he could get a word out I said," I'm pumping diesel." To my suprise, he said," Oh. Go on ahead." All the while I here him explaining to other customers that I was alowed to pump my own diesel. The best was when I was topping up, I heard a gal say," But it's a car?!"
Tom

Bob_Fout

Oil Wanker
TDI
2003 Jetta - Alaska Green (sold) / 2015 GTI 2.0T
McBrew said:
People do that every day... they call 'em credit cards!
Not if you pay the balance in full though. I only use the CC because of the cashback, and I don't normally carry more than $20 on me.

*sigh* $20 used to fill the tank