rear hub and bearing

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
2003 jetta wagon
ok ..seriously??,,, rear hub and bearing for my car at IDparts cost anywhere from 40$ to 200$. I am not wealthy, and would love to do the job with the 40 dollar part..has ANYONE ever used this?... will it last more than 50 miles???
cheers :D

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I have never had a rear wheel bearing replaced
Over the years I've heard many good reviews of the FAG wheel bearing. That's the 75 dollar one. Yes 200 bucks is hard to swallow but the junk yards are full of OEM wheel bearings in gas cars that didn't make it past 150k.

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
thanks !....i will be checking out are local auto scrap place....
would love to hear a review on the Optimal hub/bearing unit. It is not like Idparts to sell anything they thought of as crap I don't believe.

drucifer

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 jetta sw tdi pd
I've done some more investigating and seems once you have installed a wheel bearing it destroys itself on removal. So unless you're swapping the whole rear axle your out of luck.

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I am not sure I understand, but replacing the hub/bearing assembly as a unit is common practice surely..... trying to replace the bearing alone is not really an option. I Plan to replace the entire assembly.

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
I've done some more investigating and seems once you have installed a wheel bearing it destroys itself on removal. So unless you're swapping the whole rear axle your out of luck.
The bearing is part of the hub, when you pull it off the inner race is left on the stub. You need to pull it off with a puller, or nick it and use a punch to split it. Once off the replacement just slides back on, its a hub/bearing unit. Getting the inner race off can be a chore sometimes but just have the right tools.

tobsav

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
research done.... decision made. Thank you all for replies

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
research done.... decision made. Thank you all for replies
I just buy the cheapest one at partsource (here in Canada) and never had a replacement go bad. Not too worried with rears it should last a significant time regardless as long as not damaged with install.