Slide hammer for pulling injector

biopete

Veteran Member
TDI
A3 Jetta 1998, A4 Jetta 2001
Does anyone use a slide hammer for pulling injectors or know where to get one? I've an injector that is really stuck.

Thanks.

runonbeer

Maintenance EnthusiastVendor
TDI
'00 Golf 02M, '10 Golf 02E, '02 UTE 02M
I'm in the process of making a bunch out of used alh large rollers like the one I use. If you're in a pinch immediately Metalnerd has a good puller

I'm thinking about a $20 price point.

jlscheele

TDI
1998 Jetta, 99 Beetle Upsolute .205 injectors
Hey runonbeer,
Clever recycling. I will have save my pulley and built one for myself. What size nut did you use?
Thanks,
John

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
runonbeer said:
I'm in the process of making a bunch out of used alh large rollers like the one I use. If you're in a pinch immediately Metalnerd has a good puller

I'm thinking about a $20 price point.
I'd buy one today. :cool:

wandlc

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 NB GLS TDI
The nut is a 9/16 nut. I don't remember whether it is NC or NF. When I made mine I had an injector body with me and picked the nut up at Orchard Supply. It is a perfect fit.

ymz

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI Wagon, 2003 Jetta TDI Wagon
wandlc said:
The nut is a 9/16 nut. I don't remember whether it is NC or NF.
Interesting... I thought one had to stay Metric with these things...

The nut is the same thread as the one you'll find at the top of the front struts (at least on the A4's...) Since one is supposed to use new ones when replacing the shocks, there should be a couple sitting around the garage...

Yuri

PS: I just ran into a situation where only one of these pullers would work... the injectors wouldn't budge with a 15 mm open end wrench... the borrowed puller took no time at all... (Thank you, Wingnut !!!!)

scythefwd

Veteran Member
TDI
99 beetle GLS TDI
I've got an ugly thing I just made. 5/8 shouldered bolt running into an old lugnut and some adapter to get the two to work. I am looking into having a sleeve made that is an adapter from m14x1.5 (female) to 1/2" coarse (female) so you can use any 1/2" coarse threaded rod or bolt and a couple of 5/8 or 11/16 nuts as slides. If it is cheap, I might have a few made and sent out for testing by some of the mechanics on here to get their opinions. I expect it to run about 5-10 dollars for the adapter, so I could produce the tool at about 15 each.

EDIT : The machine shop wants 85 for the adapter... they must not have the dies/taps either. Over all parts (not including dies/taps) should run in the neighborhood of 10 dollars. At a reasonable rate of 50 per hour (coming from a retired master machinest for CAT) that is 1.5 hours to make exactly 2 cuts, drill 2 holes, and thread 2 holes. That guy must be new because I can do that with very little (a semester in high school) machining experience. It takes a band saw or chop saw with a cutting disk, a drill press, and about 20 minutes of my time (including the 5 tool changes if using a pilot hole).

Last edited:

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Here is my original design:

Made with about $15 worth of parts. You do have to get the nut welded on the end though.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
wow... after reading this: "If you want one, just send me an email with your address and I'll send it out. Then you can either paypal me or drop a check in the mail."

I swear VW people are some of the best people out there. no joke. the knowledge, trust, willingness to help, and professionalism on this forum is incredible. you guys amaze me every day. keep up the good work!

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
wow... after reading this: "If you want one, just send me an email with your address and I'll send it out. Then you can either paypal me or drop a check in the mail."

I swear VW people are some of the best people out there. no joke. the knowledge, trust, willingness to help, and professionalism on this forum is incredible. you guys amaze me every day. keep up the good work!
This thread is 7 years old.:eek: