Mk4 1999.5 02A shifter swap to 2000+ 02J shifter

kray

TDI
Golf TDI
Because I never actually found any definitive confirmation of this in my months of research...

A 2000+ 02J shifter assembly will direct swap into a 1999.5 Mk4 car with the 02A shifter. I confirmed this today during my swap. Everything bolted right up.

I actually swapped my 1999.5 02J DQY transmission (with the 02A shift tower) for a EGR 2000+ 02J transmission with the correct shift tower, so everything was very "easy" for me.

Shifter on left is the 02A mk4 shifter - Shifter on right is the 02J mk4 shifter.

Last edited:

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
Is that the changeover from the "ball and socket" style joints on the shift cables at the transmission to the "stud and clip" style joints?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
'93 Passat - AHU mTDI with GTB1756VK
Yes, gasser stuff is fine.

No, the 99.5 uses a Mk3 style shifter, I guess VW was clearing out old stock. It is much different design than the "regular" 02J stuff. 02J comes in either a pin or ball style but it's just the cable ends and shift tower that change, the cables themselves are the same for both styles.

Sent from my XT1097 using Tapatalk

Sharkey

TDI
2005 Golf TDI, 2001 Jetta TDI
Here's a kind of off topic, but related question as it sounds like you guys may know the answer.
Long story short, there's currently an FBV 2.0 gasser box in my 01 TDI (original was a DQY according to the sticker in the trunk) and it's killing me. I'm hoping to get the funds soon to swap out the FBV but am wondering if I need a DQY tranny or if I can use an EGR/EBJ. I've been told there's differences between the towers but (A) I don't know what the differences are - and (B) There's an FBV in there now, will the kit that's in there fit any of the TDI boxes?

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
The tower comes off with 2 bolts and is easily swapped.

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
What is the better of the 2, pin or ball style?
If you're looking to swap later style shifter parts, I'd go with the pin/clip style.

The ball/socket cable ends were only used briefly (I think) the first half of 2000? As far as I know, the ball/socket cable ends are NLA. I recently swapped mine out on the 2000 Beetle for the later 2001+ A4 pin/clip style.

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI/5spd swap
If/when I change over my old style shift mechanism with the later 2001+ A4 pin/clip style, would I need the bottom receiver that has the VW logo cast into it?
I think my 02J code EBJ 5spd was from a 2000 jetta TDI.
Also, does the later 2001+ A4 pin/clip style shift tower bottom receiver (see right item in photo) come with the clip?

Last edited:

vanbcguy

Veteran Member
TDI
From what I've read the different sized lower cap was only found on early 02A cars, like Corrados and probably B3 Passats. The lower cap is the same size on all the late 02As and 02Js.

crawdaddy

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon TDI/5spd swap
If you're looking to swap later style shifter parts, I'd go with the pin/clip style.
The ball/socket cable ends were only used briefly (I think) the first half of 2000? As far as I know, the ball/socket cable ends are NLA. I recently swapped mine out on the 2000 Beetle for the later 2001+ A4 pin/clip style.
Are the 2 ends interchangeable?
If I were only able to get ball/socket ends and at a later date I was to find pin/clip ends, would that be all I would need is the the ends?

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Are the 2 ends interchangeable?
If I were only able to get ball/socket ends and at a later date I was to find pin/clip ends, would that be all I would need is the the ends?
Well, you would also need what the cable ends attach to. In this case, the side to side relay lever, and the main shift lever. I got one from a 2004 TDI and installed it on my 2000...at least the guy told me it was from a 2004. It was the newer 2001+ style.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
I had the pivot from side to side pin break on a 99.5 jetta shifter today.......

The main upper pin where the shifter bracket pivots broke in the weld. That is that is when I discovered that the car has more to do with an a3 body jetta than an a4, to my surprise I discovered thAt you have to replace Cables & all to install the updated setup from a newer car.,...:rolleyes::confused::mad:..

With few options at this point other than a full swap to a later model design I decided to just fix what I have.....

I took a drill to make the broken weld hole larger, I then tapped the larger hole......

I then installed a bolt with a smooth shank that was the same diameter as the shaft that was there which the weld broke while I was shifting from 2rd to 3rd today....

After I had installed the bolt I then added a lock nut for support..,....

Hoping this will fix it for the rest of the cars running life.....Has anyone else made a similar repair...?.…....

...?...If so, how well did it hold up over time?.....

....Does anyone know where there might be one of these A4s in a Colorado salvage yard?.....

.....I could use a few miscellaneous parts for my A4 body jetta..,....