Any reliable issues?

gh0stdylan

TDI
none yet
So with fixed used 2015 TDI now available I've been searching for a Passat TDI 6mt. I've found d a dealer with several but having trouble convincing the wife. A few years back k I had an 04 Passat Wagon that literally nickle and dimed me where like spent more fixing it than the car was worth. It was such a miserable experience that she is almost refusing me to get a 15 TDI.

With the 11 year /162k warranty is there anything I should really be concerneded with? I'm starting a new job July 31 with a 50 mile round trip and it would be great to use 1 gallon of gas vs 2 daily.

Last edited:

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
With the hiatus in field testing caused by the embargo, there may not be enough population to provide any clear indication of problems inherent to the TDI yr 15. The warranty is beyond fantastic, however. I don't know of any other vehicle in the World that has as good a warranty as the 15 Passat TDIs.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
The good news is that about the only significant change in the 2015 is the engine and exhaust, and that has the huge warranty. The rest is pretty much identical to any other Passat, 2012+ or so, and those have held upquite well.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
The good news is that about the only significant change in the 2015 is the engine and exhaust, and that has the huge warranty. The rest is pretty much identical to any other Passat, 2012+ or so, and those have held up quite well.
...uhh...if you ignore turbo failures, heater core failures, water pump failures, several recalls...

The common rail VWs are fragile. Period. The amazing warranty that VWoA is applying to the newly-released diesel NMS Passats is comforting, except when you consider the potential for breakdowns and the inconvenience of shop time, AND the ever looming issue of VW dealerships continually fighting repairs under warranty.

I loved my 2009 JSW, my 2009 Jetta, my 2012 and 2014 NMS Passat diesels. My enthusiastic participation on this site supports that. But based on my experience, and reading here, I'll take my reliability chances elsewhere. I'm just too old to have to deal with the inconvenience of breakdowns, since I just can't turn a wrench any more.

Sorry to be a "naysayer", but the OP asked.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
With the hiatus in field testing caused by the embargo, there may not be enough population to provide any clear indication of problems inherent to the TDI yr 15. The warranty is beyond fantastic, however. I don't know of any other vehicle in the World that has as good a warranty as the 15 Passat TDIs.
The extended warranty us NOT for the whole car. It's just for the exhaust, DEF and emission system.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
The extended warranty us NOT for the whole car. It's just for the exhaust, DEF and emission system.

The warranty may not be for the whole car, but it is more comprehensive than you are saying. As not only do they cover the complete engine and exhaust system and management system, they stipulate that if the customer feels they have been disallowed an item that should be covered the company will change its position and side with the customer.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
...uhh...if you ignore turbo failures, heater core failures, water pump failures, several recalls...
The common rail VWs are fragile. Period. The amazing warranty that VWoA is applying to the newly-released diesel NMS Passats is comforting, except when you consider the potential for breakdowns and the inconvenience of shop time, AND the ever looming issue of VW dealerships continually fighting repairs under warranty.
I loved my 2009 JSW, my 2009 Jetta, my 2012 and 2014 NMS Passat diesels. My enthusiastic participation on this site supports that. But based on my experience, and reading here, I'll take my reliability chances elsewhere. I'm just too old to have to deal with the inconvenience of breakdowns, since I just can't turn a wrench any more.
The above is a good summation (if the diesel history is left out, which we do not have) of why we'll be turning in our NMS Passat for the buyback next year. We've really enjoyed the car, and had minimal problems, but I am getting to the same place as far as doing my own work. I'm pretty much doing the O&F changes and filters otherwise....but that's it, and who knows how many more years for that. We have to get into as much of a driver's car as possible where the accent is on reliability...and I'm just not sure what there is out there. The closest may be a Volvo.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
I certainly am in the same camp re ability to physically do the things I took for granted a few years ago.
I placed more emphasis on VW's warranty on our new 15 than apparently others have, and I purchased the prepaid 50k maintenance program for peace of mind, or, if the Market vastly improves for the demand for TDI's, and I decide to sell the car, I believe the transferable warranty and maintenance plan will command a premium sale price, as I firmly believe there will be a stronger demand for fuel efficient TDI's in the rural areas for many years going forward. Of course, I also believe that fuel prices will head for new highs in the next five years.
And, VW has totally impressed me with their customer service and their obvious need to win customer loyalty. I believe in VW's efforts to win customers back will continue for a number of years. BTW, I never experienced anything close to VW's customer friendly posturing from BMW, Toyota, Ford or Chrysler.
Whether I'm correct or not only time will tell, but the preceding formed the basis for my decision to buy the 15.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI

Turbo is warranted (and, apparently corrected - havent heard of one in quite some time), heater core was, iirc, due to a bad coolant fill (also warranted, iirc), water pump I can't comment on, and recalls have *zero* to do with reliability.

So what was your point again?

Myself, I'll take electronic controls (no wearout parts in electronics) over stone age wear prone mechanicals . . . yeah, more $$$ to repair, but in most cases, far less likely to need it . . .

There is something to be said for 'too dumb/primitive to break', but there are significant downsides as well . . . Which is why our 2013 will be staying with us, and we have added a 2015 . . . if it's not broken, you don't fix it . . .

Last edited:

gh0stdylan

TDI
none yet
Thanks for all the info. I've wrenched a bit before, and could do my own oil changes if the really are$90 at the dealer. It just seemed that everything that broke was an issue and not easy on my 04 Passat.

Ill share this here if you don't mind, obviously a bit bias from a TDI forum :)

I currently have a 14 Elantra GT with some negative equity. It's been a fine car and dies what I bought it to do. But my family is growing and I have an 8 year old and a new infant with rear facing car seat. The GT has now become a little cramped. I'm also starting a new position with a daily commute of 50 miles vs current 15. I worked at local Hyundai dealer for several years and still have a great relationship with the manager. I initialled wanted to lease but have figured out my monthly driving and I'm flirting with 15k miles a year.

Passat
Pro: great mpg, 6 speed manual transmission, more engaging to drive, VW Diesel gate 11 year / 163k warranty, larger rear seat lergroom.

Con: VW reliability/maintenance stigma, technology is 2.5 years old, no Androd Auto, negative equity might make it hard to finance.

Sonata with Tech package
Pro: near $10k off MSRP, pretty good MPG, tons of new technology and upgraded audio system, cooled seats, Android Auto, great warranty and reliability.

Con: not engaging to drive, price is going to be higher but even with negative equity I am under MSRP with rebates and dealer discounts.

TL: DR: I want the Passat for 6mt and MPG and more fun to drive. I want the Sonata for the updated technology and known reliability.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
My suggestion is to NOT be in a hurry. The automobile industry is facing tough times with massive inventory they created and stuffed their channel with.
They are going to be desperate to sell in the 4th quarter and deals will abound. Just hold off and see what is being offered towards the end of the year

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
"technology is 2.5 years old" translates (to me at least) as "mature and the bugs worked out". Most of the issues that have been mentioned were from when it was new . . . . I'd call it a pro myself . . .

Myself, I will rarely buy year one of anything . . . . that's where the bugs are. And newer does not always mean better . . . often, it's just 'more profitable' . . .

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tadawson: I agree with your "...rarely buy year one of anything..."
Ironically, though, my 2014 had more significant issues than my 2012:
1)Engine harness replaced at under 10k miles
2)Fuel tank replaced, vent valve defective
3)Heater core failed
4)Driver's seat memory failed
5)AdBlue tank/sensor replaced
6)Driver's sunvisor replaced twice
All of the above within the first 40k miles or so.
The OP was asking about reliability of the NMS Passat compared to his previous 04 Wagon. My experience dictates that VWs continue to have reliability problems, esp. the CRTDIs.
...I'm just trying to keep his marriage from unraveling...

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
And I have a 2013 with 60K, and while we did have an RNS510 fail in warranty, but that's pretty much it . . . So, who'se sample set of one defines the true situation? Overall, the problem rates, even on early turbos have been very low overall . . . it's just that those few who have issues scream the loudest . . . They do not, however, define the 'big picture' . . .

gh0stdylan

TDI
none yet
...I'm just trying to keep his marriage from unraveling...
Haha, that's hilarious and I appreciate it!

I understand the fact that upset people are louder. And there are no issue VW and there are full of issues Hyundai. I'm just trying to hedge myself and our marriage. Haha.

I'm not so worried about the Passat having older technology (just a comparison point) but I keep coming back to it's MPG and 6mt and fun to drive factor. I've been bored with my current Hyundai GT

Last edited:

Mark_J

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 TDI Passat SEL Premium, 2017 Fiat Spider, 2017 Ford F350 6.7 Diesel crew cab PU, 2016 Harley Trike, 2016 Tesla Model X P90D (I know went to the dark side)
I guess I have been very lucky because I have owner VW diesels sense the first Rabbit diesel up to my 2013 & 2004 Passat TDI's and have not had any issues except for normal wear and tear items. At the timing belt change I always had the water pump replaced as long as they were in there. The only issue was the heater core was replaced on the 2013 due to the mistake made at the factory, and it was done under warranty. And I put several humdred thousand miles on them before selling them. But I did sell them back to VW because the offer was just too much to pass up. So not have a 2015 Passat TDI, 2017 Passat TSI, ford diesel, and the Harley.

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Haha, that's hilarious and I appreciate it!

I understand the fact that upset people are louder. And there are no issue VW and there are full of issues Hyundai. I'm just trying to hedge myself and our marriage. Haha.

I'm not so worried about the Passat having older technology (just a comparison point) but I keep coming back to it's MPG and 6mt and fun to drive factor. I've been bored with my current Hyundai GT
If you want to see owner angst and anger check Mercedes owners, or even Tesla owners (and they are a cult) and then there are always the perennial winners of dissatisfied owners in Chrysler/Dodge products and Jeeps.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
And I have a 2013 with 60K, and while we did have an RNS510 fail in warranty, but that's pretty much it . . . So, who'se sample set of one defines the true situation? Overall, the problem rates, even on early turbos have been very low overall . . . it's just that those few who have issues scream the loudest . . . They do not, however, define the 'big picture' . . .
Howdy again, neighbor:
OP wanted opinions. We've both offered them. I was giving my experience.

Interesting, though, that he was asking about reliability issues with the 2015, so I guess our input doesn't directly relate directly to his question.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, we have a 2015 as well, but only since April (bought NOS), so not enough miles to know yet . . . but other than engine/exhaust, it's identical, so overall observations should be comparable.

New Mickey

The user formerly known as mickey
TDI
2015 Passat
You'd be hard pressed to find a lemon these days. I think Toyota and Honda are the gold standards for reliability, but it's all relative. I bought another VW, after all, despite being a Honda guy. So I'm obviously not too worried about it.

For every problem you read about there are thousands of identical cars without that problem. And every car model on the road has online Hate Sites dedicated to badmouthing them. Angry people attract each other.

If you want a nice family sedan that is the most likely to be trouble free from Day One and stay that way until long after you're sick of the thing get a Camry or an Accord.

-mickey