Vw Touran 1.9 TDi No boost - HELP

Ricardof

TDI
1.9 TDI AVQ
Hi there,

I recently bought a vw touran 1.9 tdi 2004 with a AVQ engine.
I just started experiencing a problem with it. Usually it goes fine under acceleration until 3rd gear, when in 4th, 5th or 6th gear seems like there isn't much boost, and if pressing the pedal a bit more to make it go, the pressure drops even more. During this, usually there is lots of black smoke behind the car.
Any ideas what it might be?

Ricardof

TDI
1.9 TDI AVQ
Loose pipes (the big ones), malfunctioning turbo actuator.
It goes fine until 3rd, as long as I keep the revs high...After that 4th gear dies, and so on...

Been doing some research, and sounds like the turbo vanes got stuck to high end of turbo, hence the car pulling well after 2800/3000rpm.

What do you think?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Similar to what mine did when actuator froze up. Nothing for it but to get down there and have a look (good time to check the big pipes as well). Frozen vanes, frozen actuator are indistinguishable until you troubleshoot.
Keep in mind these are interweb guesses only. Believe the smoke is a clue.

Ricardof

TDI
1.9 TDI AVQ
Similar to what mine did when actuator froze up. Nothing for it but to get down there and have a look (good time to check the big pipes as well). Frozen vanes, frozen actuator are indistinguishable until you troubleshoot.
Keep in mind these are interweb guesses only. Believe the smoke is a clue.
Absolutely, will have to investigate a bit... My EGR was shot, new one just arrived today (probably not related with what I´m experiencing regarding the lack of power). I will try to check if the vanes are stuck, and if so, try to clean it with that Mr. Muscle process...

Is the ECU a self learning system? I´m asking this, because on a small trip when there was no power, lot´s of black smoke was coming out, however, after a few miles, when flooring to make it go, it wouldn´t go as usual, but the huge amount of black smoke stopped.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
.................Is the ECU a self learning system?...................................
Well yes, but keep in mind it's not a comprehensive device. It sees what it sees, makes adjustments, but there are subsystems it's not aware of.
Try to keep the diagnosis process simple, step by step. I would interweb guess your issue is fairly simple, of course isolating the issue can be tedious.