Instrument Cluster Woes

C_Free

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan, 1996 B4V
I recently took a B4 out of storage and the instrument cluster was dead. Backlights work, and I cleaned all ground points on the vehicle.

I put a cluster in from another B4 to test and that cluster worked great which leads me to believe the cluster is bad, maybe the voltage regulator.

I finally found a shop that would agree to fix the cluster, but after a week they said they couldn't fix it. I checked around and no clusters were found on car-part.

I really just want to get the car up and running, and I need to have the mileage checked by the BMV so I need a working cluster.

Does anyone in the forums work on these anymore? My soldering skills are poor; I'm afraid I'll damage it.

I'm also open to buying a used one if I can find one.

Thanks guys

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Not anymore unfortunate.

Fortunay other than setting the odometer, they can be repaired with just a few tools including a soldering iron.
Get a temp controlled soldering stick and practice. It's not too difficult.
I do have one from my Jetta, not sure if they are I interchangeable.

TDI Jim

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, 1996 Passat Variant (RIP), 2002 Jetta Wagon, 1995 Passat Variant TDI conversion brought back from the dead, 1997 Passat Variant project, and returned 2014 Passat
I get mine repaired with Derek White, Chubb's Auto Repair, Taylorville, IL

Abacus

That helpful B4 guy
TDI
Only the B4V left
The person who bought Derek's cluster repair equipment is not up and running yet, unfortunately. I do not know when that will be, but their intent is to pick up where Derek left off.

C_Free

TDI
1997 B4 Sedan, 1996 B4V
Thanks for the suggestions. This from the cluster tech:

We did look at your unit and found it had correlated issues with a failing microprocessor which means it has data hardware issues we weren't able to repair. Normally this particular type of cluster suffers from blown diodes that cause physical damage to the board that we can address and repair but your cluster had no noticeable physical damage paritc9iulary in that area or anywhere else for that matter. Everything pointed to a bad processor which is why we refunded.
Given my lack of component electronics repair skills, It is better for me to have it repaired/find a replacement.

I will keep looking for a replacement.

It's too bad, this car is pretty cherry and runs great otherwise!