MKIV - A4: Dipstick tube replacement - Easy

mizzn44

TDI
'02 Jetta
This morning I replaced the dipstick tube (the Orange/Yellow one) in my '02 Jetta. First, carefully remove all broken pieces including those inside the lower tube.

First I tried to just push the new tube on, I couldn't get it to fully seat without risking breaking it. It's a bit of a tight fit. Next, I took a small pan of not boiling but very hot water (just heated it on the stove) dunked the flange into the hot water for maybe 30-45 seconds. Then slid the tube on until it stopped, then rapped the top of the tube with the heel of my hand and it easily popped on and seated properly. I then gave it a few minutes to cool before inserting the dipstick. Good as new.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Cool. Sounds like a good plan of attack. Thanks for sharing.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Yup. Heating it up is about the only way to reliably get it fully on without breaking it.
My tool is holding the coupling end about 5-10 seconds in front of a heat gun.

fatmobile

Veteran Member
TDI
an ALH M-TDI in a MK2, a 2000 Jetta, 2003 wagon
Thanks.
I'll try that when I replace the one I broke installing it.
I did it in the winter and thought just warmer weather will work.
Hadn't thought of actually heating it.

jmodge

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 alh Jetta, RC2 w/.205's 5speed daily summer commuter and 2000 alh Jetta 5spd swap, 2" lift, hitch, stage 3 TDtuning w/.216's winter cruiser, 1996 Tacoma ALh
Good idea, except the part where you rap it with your hand. I’ve got Dupuytrens contracture from doing that with wrenches over the years. The facia in the palm tears. The body sends collagen to repair the tear, and it ends up wrapping around the tendons and contracting the fingers. Stretching until surgery is needed, and pretty much guaranteed to return. I will be due for my second surgery in the near future. It tore the second time pulling on a 4’ pipe wrench. Really annoying and inconvenient, invest in a rubber mallet and deadblow hammers for that type of stuff

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Thanks.
I'll try that when I replace the one I broke installing it.
I did it in the winter and thought just warmer weather will work.
Hadn't thought of actually heating it.

Warm it enough (not too much) and you don't need to whack it.:cool:

mizzn44

TDI
'02 Jetta
OK, gently rap with the heel of your hand. Common sense rules.

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
I use a block of wood on top of the tube and tap that with a hammer. I've never tried heating one but always figured that would be the best way to do it. I always have plenty on hand so a broken one doesn't ruin my day.