Noise when letting off accelerator

ixanay

TDI
2005 Passat 2.0 Manual
Hi All - just so I can start off my forum history with a truly noob question here it goes...

I bought up a 05 Passat with a manual swap in it. The past few days I've been putting around town teaching myself the ways of the manual shifting. Most obnoxious noises and performance bugs I can tie to user error and understand what's happening.

One thing I cannot is when I let off the accelerator too quickly the car tends to really dislike this. It becomes more prominent when in lower RPMs say in 2nd gear going through a rolling stop or something of the sort. It sounds like a whack or a bang. I feel like it could just be poor gear choice and I'm bogging the engine or something, maybe just not smooth enough.. it just seems aggressive. Thought I'd check here first before checking motor mounts etc thx!

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Check timing marks. Verify timing and you should also check fueling and take some logs with vcds.
Sounds like the exact same issue I have with overfueling

Kravt

TDI
2005 Passat
I’d put my money on a bad/nonexistent snub mount (the motor mount at the front of the engine) I had the same symptoms as you and replacing that did the trick. It’s cheap and easy to get to.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Is it an engine bang? Or like a log hitting the car thump bang? If it's not engine noise, definatly a mount. When I installed my dark forest stage 2 mounts the bolt was wrong and left about a 1" play. But it only thumped when I get the motor going then rapidly let off. Is this more what's going on?
I'll sell you my motor mount set, I parted out the Jetta and have the stage 2 or 1.5 yellow mounts.

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Is it an engine bang? Or like a log hitting the car thump bang? If it's not engine noise, definatly a mount. When I installed my dark forest stage 2 mounts the bolt was wrong and left about a 1" play. But it only thumped when I get the motor going then rapidly let off. Is this more what's going on?
I'll sell you my motor mount set, I parted out the Jetta and have the stage 2 or 1.5 yellow mounts.

Mongler98, .....never mind :rolleyes:

ixanay, this has nothing to do or in common with your car other than both cars are a diesel.

Last edited:

JETaah

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
96 B4V, 2005 BEW Beetle, 2005 Jetta Wagon
Check out your motor and trans rear mounts but also control arm bushings for tears. Not that uncommon on those cars.

Last edited:

ixanay

TDI
2005 Passat 2.0 Manual
Thanks for all the replies, I'll take a looksie when I can get it jacked up. So used to crawling under lifted trucks this will be quite the change. I took it out for a spin today and the easiest way to reproduce was in 2nd around 2300 rpms let off the gas and back on. I could rock it back and forth. I think it's a combo user error and worn mounts but will update the thread when resolved thx

Last edited:

bmwM5power

Veteran Member
TDI
15 GSW TDI S 6MT 02 JETTA TDI GLS 5MT 15 GOLF TDI SE 6MT 15 GOLF TDI SEL DSG
Thanks for all the replies, I'll take a looksie when I can get it jacked up. So used to crawling under lifted trucks this will be quite the change. I took it out for a spin today and the easiest way to reproduce was in 2nd around 2300 rpms let off the gas and back on. I could rock it back and forth. I think it's a combo user error and worn mounts but will update the thread when resolved thx
if theres too much slop in the DMF this will cause the "play" you experience with the gas on/off

ixanay

TDI
2005 Passat 2.0 Manual
if theres too much slop in the DMF this will cause the "play" you experience with the gas on/off
Interesting thought. The manual swap has less than 5k miles on it and the swap was done by a trusted mechanic. Do you know if a new DMF is typically installed during these swaps or if they just bring it along with the donor transmission? Will hopefully be getting extensive records on this vehicle soon

eddieleephd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 jetta Wagon
Interesting thought. The manual swap has less than 5k miles on it and the swap was done by a trusted mechanic. Do you know if a new DMF is typically installed during these swaps or if they just bring it along with the donor transmission? Will hopefully be getting extensive records on this vehicle soon
It depends on what's requested. Mine was a swap and it had DMF I put in SMF.

Sent from my moto g(7) power using Tapatalk