No power after turbo rebuild

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta TDI wagon (BEW)
2005 Jetta TDI wagon. BEW PD engine. I am at 292,000 miles, original owner. I had a slight oil leak at the right front of the engine compartment. Was told it needed a rebuilt turbo and a new injection pump. Bad seals meant oil was leaking and going to the intercooler. After the work was done I do not have the power I used to have. Actually, it comes and goes. I was up in Pacific NW and all the sudden power was fine. On the way home, I had to downshift to get up hills on Hwy 93 through Nevada.

The guy who worked on it plugged it in revved it some, checked for loose hoses and wires and said it would be fine. It isn't. I should mention, I saw black smoke, not a lot but some, from behind the engine when he revved it up.

I am thinking it is not getting the amount of air it should be getting from the turbo to the engine. Waste gate, maf, etc. all seem like possibilities to me, but then what do I know?

I would like to have an idea before I take it to another mechanic. Thank you for any help.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
Well for one thing....if this is a PD engine there is no injection pump. So not sure what they sold you. Maybe a tandem fuel pump or an in tank pump?

Have you scanned it for codes yet, I would do that first and find a TDI guru not some generic mechanic.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Vcds. Vagcom cable. Get it. Stop going where ever you did before. If whoever worked on it did not use this tool is clearly incapable of working on TDIs.
Scan for codes.
Lots of bad I fo here. No injection pump on a pd engine. Also its 100% normal for oil to go into the intercooler. Journal bearings is what you have and you need a proper restrictor if a aftermarket turbo was installed.
Your clearly going into limp mode. And the guy is an idiot. You cant check for boost leaks by revving the engine. You need to load it. Reving will not do that. Please see our trusted TDI mechanics post sticky.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
Multiple people told me how wonderful this German guy in Fort Mohave was. Expensive lesson learned. Problem is, my guru in Portland,OR died. I would take to Justin at TNT in Kingman, except I can't stand dealing with Wanda. So, I guess I take it to Phoenix or Las Vegas since both have gurus.

As far as the "injection pump" goes, he pointed to something on the left side of the engine. Like I said, expensive lesson learned. When he didn't have anything to say about the smoke I knew I had a problem.

Thank you for the responses.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
There are a couple more gurus in Portland if you're back there again.
Oldpoopie and FixUmHaus are both good peoples.

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
Fixed

So, last Wednesday I took the car to Wolf's Auto Repair in Las Vegas.

Diagnosis: Turbo charger rebuild not working and not even properly bolted on, EGR cooler leaking, intercooler cracked and plugged, some other little stuff.

Cost, $ 4,747.68, plus the $ 3,200 I paid to German Performance in Fort Mohave, AZ for some of the same work.

German Performance in Fort Mohave, AZ absolutely does NOT deserve guru status.

csstevej

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 golf tdi 4 door auto now a manual, mine, 2000 golf 2 door M/T son's,daughters 98 NB non-TDI 2.0, 2003 TDI NB for next daughter, head repaired and on road,gluten for punishment got another tdi 2001NB,another yellow tdi NB
If you paid the first mechanic with a credit card I would call the CC and file a dispute.
Get a written statement from the current shop on exactly what they found after the first repair and go from there.....try the first shop and see if they will reimburse you....if not than you may want to do small claims court.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
sue them for it. get paperwork. report to BBB ect......
small claims if it comes to it.

DonL

Veteran Member
TDI
I am not a fan of any kind of lawsuit. You go in a hog, you come out sausage. Still, I might go the small claims route. Unfortunately, I did not pay by credit card. I have not yet presented my claim to him, but I will.

Posting on Yelp, Google, etc. also a possibility.

Warning to all, DO NOT trust any car to German Performance in Ft. Mohave, AZ. Trusts a VW dealer before you trust him.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Yea, results will vary. Once you pay a lawyer, you've lost. I might forge a lawyer letterhead on a letter. Even if it got to court, judge might not favor you since the mechanic did do some work.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Law suit / small claims
Same difference.
No lawyer needed. Just file and show evidence from the repairs.
Yea your time is $ but at the $3k+ you lost, its definty worth your time