What are the MPG gains of Deleting the DPF & SCR?

Agtech4020

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
So I’m looking real seriously at purchasing a 2012. My problem is I don’t want to give up the MPG’s my 06 Jetta gets. I get 45 during winter months and 51 during the summer with my bone stock 06 Jetta. From what I’ve read the 2011 and newer won’t get those numbers. Some posts I’ve read say that the 2011 and newer Jetta’s will get 50 or more with the DPF filter deleted and the SCR removed. I’m curious if anyone can verify that it is possible to get that kind of MPG’s?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tdiman

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta 2015 sel grey / black interior
What are the MPG gains of Deleting the DPF & SCR?

My best is 40 on long trips 2015 Jetta with DPF avg 32

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
A stock CJAA should be able to at least meet whatever you are getting with your BRM. I suspect the post fix cars suffered a small amount, but as usual it is quite varied.

The short time I had a 2010, I was able to tag 50 MPG pretty easily and it only had two pedals. It was not fixed, and the new owner did a delete but not sure how much improvement there is, but it will be better.

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
the biggest hindrance to decent fuel economy is a short-trip commute and excessive use of your right foot on both pedals.

Pre-fix, my 2014 Jetta w/DSG averaged 49 MPG over a 5 month period on a 350 mile round-trip "commute" (once-a-week). Just now getting ready to put on post-fix hwy miles for comparison.

w123houston

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 6MT
my jetta is freshly deleted (malone stage 2 Eco + buzzken downpipe). i saw a +4mpg increase in fuel economy on my 1st "offroad" fuel up with spirited driving. I went from 44mpg to 48mpg. I'm certain i can net 50+ mpg if i behave.

mckpat03

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
A 2012 wouldn't have SCR, for what it's worth. My 2010 gained about 4-5mpg on my daily commute after fully deleting it. I bought my 2015 deleted already, but based on other numbers I've seen, I suspect it would be a similar gain on my daily commute over stock. My commute is a very hilly 16 miles one way, with a fair amount of accelerating for various reasons. On that commute, deleted, my 2010 averaged 47summer/43winter, my 2015 is averaging 45 winter/don't know summer yet.

Last edited:

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
Wow, you guys are reporting some really nice numbers. I don't think I've broken 40mpg with my 2015 GSW. Not going to even mention my wife's touareg :O

akjdouglass

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta w/premium (sold to VW); 2014 Jetta Value Edition; 2015 Jetta SEL; 2003 Jetta GL
Wow, you guys are reporting some really nice numbers. I don't think I've broken 40mpg with my 2015 GSW. Not going to even mention my wife's touareg :O
On a forum like this you're gonna hear mpg numbers that are near the top of the chart from the rest of us. No one is going to get online and brag about the 400 to 500 mile tanks we achieve. I've gotten exactly one 700 mile tank, a few 600 mile tanks and many 500 mile or less tanks since we bought our first TDI in 2012 (all Jetta sedans).

Check out my fuelly averages and you'll see that all three of my TDI's overall average is much closer to the 40 mpg you mentioned. And, if you look closer, you'll see that my mileage on my 2014 tanked last fall after averaging 45-49 for 6 months or so. In the same car that returned a best of 49.9 mpg less than a year ago, I'm lucky to get 35 these days. It's all relative to where, when, what and how you drive. I only see the really good numbers when I'm putting in a lot of highway miles in light traffic, warm weather with summer fuel, while driving within +/- 5 mph of the speed limit.;)

mckpat03

Veteran Member
TDI
ALH
+1. I'd agree with the above. I think my numbers are kind of high and I'm honestly still jealous of the numbers other folks are posting on forums and facebook groups. It's all relative and there are many variables. Again, both of my CR TDIs have been deleted.

I'll add some points for transparency. I do my commute every single day and not much else, use additive, drive with a focus on fuel economy, don't drive hard, and speed limits don't exceed 55 unless I leave my community, then it's only up to 65 heading to the city. If I add some stop and go/redlight/city type traffic, drive aggressively on my commute, or do some spirited driving on the weekend, my average drops to 38-40.

I had a 250k mile ALH that averaged about 40-46 on my daily commute depending on seasonal temperature and fuel and again would hang around 38-40 if I added some stoplights/aggressive commute/spirited drives.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I picked up about 2-3 mpg after deleting my '11. It averaged about 42 mpg over it's 175k miles.

Agtech4020

TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I want to thank everyone who replied. I’m not sure I’m ready to give up my 06 yet particularly if there will be a significant mpg loss. My wife has a 2012 Tiguan and I really like that interior. I just wish I could get a Tiguan TDI in the US.

Everyone has made good points and I’m excited to hear I should at least get close to my 06. I’m going to start looking for a newer TDI.

r4ndys1ngh

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta TDI
I have a 2012 TDI with a stage 2 tune with buzzken turbo back straight pipe. On the highway the MFD would read "3.8L/100km" (not sure how accurate it is)

I have gotten 980 kms to a full tank with a mix of highway and city driving.

I have driven from Cambridge Ontario to New York City - Queens with 1/4 to spare to drive around the city before fueling, speeds of around 120km/h 140km/h through Pennsylvania.

Last edited:

Slurry Pumper

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta Sedan
I deleted the dpf and egr along with getting a bigger turbo more consistent with the European versions controlled by a Malone stage III. My mileage when from around 40 to around 44 mpg as an all around number for mu 75 mile commute to work which is half hilly up and down roads combined with half turnpike 80+ cruising. Depending on how I drive it, I can get 36 mpg if I'm hot footin it in either direction like I'm late for a free giveaway, and possible 52 if I tuck the car in behind the tractor trailer and almost coast along the road.

The reason to delete things came to me when the expense of replacement was large enough for me to look for 3 party solutions to get the vehicle in operational order.

w123houston

TDI
2014 Jetta TDI 6MT
my jetta is freshly deleted (malone stage 2 Eco + buzzken downpipe). i saw a +4mpg increase in fuel economy on my 1st "offroad" fuel up with spirited driving. I went from 44mpg to 48mpg. I'm certain i can net 50+ mpg if i behave.
Well, i "behaved" on my last fuel up. 801.8 miles on the trip odo and pumped 13.9 gallons of diesel. 57.7 mpg.