Big kid with a new toy

Bdcalder

TDI
02 jetta
OK so I bought the car in my signature. Hope everything is there but I probably forgot somethings. It is a blast to drive. So I've never owned a modified vehicle before only dreamed about and read about(lots of reading) . My question is this when I let the motor sing she will not only roll coal but leaves a trail of soot on the road. My normal driving is concertive shifting about 2500 and running 70 ish on my daily drive. Is there reason to be concerned about the soot and can someone just give me some peace that I'm not hurting the motor I want this car to last.

Thanks for reading

Bdcalder

TDI
02 jetta
The scan gauge in the car ( reading off of map sensor) reads about 8 to 10. It doesn't have an actual boost gauge it needs one and pyro and fuel. It on my list.

Also just was looking at the intake and a good bit of oil. Not good took of oil cap lots of blow by. My wife is going to kill me if this car is broke. Researching blow by now.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Seeing as your car has a 3 bar MAP sensor, your boost should be at least 24 PSI, if you only actually have 8 to 10 PSI, something is really wrong. But stay calm we are here to help you if needed.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
Any links to the car PO or work they have done? Usually some type of paper trail to these purchased modified vehicles on forums. (FYI your combo isn't that unique or powerful, so don't fret about the mods just yet)

Bdcalder

TDI
02 jetta
IV got to get guages on it. I talked to the PO/ car builder as I was looking/ buying the car. He bought the car with broke TB in VA took it to his buddy's shop in VA. I think he said his name or shop name but can't remember did say he was a TDI member. Any how I guess the head, injectors and transmission are from a golf race car he had. The PO said he didn't have any paperwork because he work in a shop and picked things up price by piece. I have a lot to learn so thanks for the help

Bdcalder

TDI
02 jetta
I think I got my self calmed down about the blow by. And I think I just need to run it a little harder 2 to 3 k vs 1500 to 2500 and that might cut down on the soot out the tailpipe.

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
97 B4V (mine), 11 x5 35d (hers) 04 V10 (that one you want), 2014 Q7 (mom's) 74 Shasta 1400
I think I got my self calmed down about the blow by. And I think I just need to run it a little harder 2 to 3 k vs 1500 to 2500 and that might cut down on the soot out the tailpipe.
My question is this when I let the motor sing she will not only roll coal but leaves a trail of soot on the road. My normal driving is concertive shifting about 2500 and running 70 ish on my daily drive.
Are you letting it "sing" or driving conservatively? :eek:. Letting it sing is not 2500 Rpms. That's just it spooling, not even SHowing your max boost at 10psi. Changing your shift point will barely make a difference to this issue of soot. You're overfueled and underboosting.

You need to pay attention to the response about your setup only running 8-10psi. There is something wrong. Or your scangauge is shiite and not calibrated correctly.

Get to someone with VCDS and take a log of boost requested vs actual.

Bdcalder

TDI
02 jetta
So who has vag com close to 77 and 70 in Cambridge oh?

I did watch the guages closer and it will spool up to 22 psi at about 4 grand. Running 70 at 2200 boost is between 2 and 10 depending on road. I am thinking. It is over fueling. PO/ builder said that's it had race nozzles it's going to roll coal. Again it only rolls coal when I go wot.

Bdcalder

TDI
02 jetta
Update
Changed the oil and air filter.
Cleaned maf and map sensors.
For my sanity checked the turbo actuator with vacuum tool good numbers and movment. Found a vacuum line wide open capped it.

Boost numbers are a lot better 22 psi comes in under 4 grand. Last week's was 52 mpg we will see what this week does. Gotta wait till next check to get a new fuel filter.

Little things make big difference

kooyajerms

grocery getter
TDI
22psi should be possible by 2000rpms(even less). WOT 1800-4000rpms what's boost at through that pull. That's what a log on vcds would look like . We may not see requested but at least we can guess on actual

Bdcalder

TDI
02 jetta
adjat84th.

The vacuum line I capped was the main feed from the pump to the turbo actuator and another actuator located beside each other in the middle of the engine compartment torwads the top of the firewall. Because there is no erg or shudder valve the only things needing vacuum are the turbo and the brakes so I'm sure I did the right thing. I have seen an increase in boost since I capped it.

Koolajerms

The vcds is definitely on my list to do as soon as I find one. Would a larger intercooler mess with the map readings? I've been thinking about that and I was looking at the map sensor and wondering how far into the intercooler it is supposed to be mine is like 1\4 inch just from looking. I am not seeing 20's under 2 k not from the scan gauge. So until when I can get guages and vcsd done Im going to just drive it and I'll let everyone know what I find

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Mine used to do that when I had the tuning box installed. Lots of power but left a trail on the road. It went away when I got my first tune and took the tuning box out.

What sort of updates were done to the car?

Bdcalder

TDI
02 jetta
Stage 4 Malone
Bosio 520's
Vnt 17
Aftermarket head
Head studs
TB
Larger intercooler
Erg/cat/muffler delete 2.5 straight pipe
South bend Stage 2 clutch with lightened flywheel matted to a LSD 5 speed
Coil over adjustable struts and shocks
GLI lights all around with euro light switch
205/ 17 on Audi rims with 5mm spacers
Diesel geek skid plate

All done within the last 11,000 miles

PB_NB

Veteran Member
TDI
1999 New Beetle
Wow, that's a pretty complete list. How do you like the LSD?

So no tuning box. Sounds like a bit too much fuel going in and not burning. You should be able to straighten that out with VCDS.

Have fun with that Go-Kart!

Bdcalder

TDI
02 jetta
The LSD is great compared to my 04 it doesn't try to over or under steer.

The nozzles I'm told are racing 520 sorry for not adding that.

Also don't forget I bought this car this way. And it's a learning curve.

The general consensus is that it is over fueling.

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Do you live at the same general altitude the previous owner does? If you live at a higher elevation that could be a cause of over fueling.

Bdcalder

TDI
02 jetta
PO was south of Pittsburgh PA I am 100 miles west just west of the 70 77 split maybe a 100 ft difference. Mr. Malone thank you for joining this conversation I am trying to get the car on a vag com and get guages in it so we can look at what is going on.

Bdcalder

TDI
02 jetta
OK got my happy dance on. I think it's fixed. So here is what I found

PO told me engine code was for the shutter valve having been removed. That was wrong the codes were 101, 103, 402. Why I didn't look at them sooner I don't know. So I put a new maf sensor and wow!!!! 22 psi boost around 2 k no smoke no soot trail I'm happy happy.

Thanks you all who helped and to all on TDI forum for contributing there problems and solutions. I enjoy reading.