Malone Stage 3.5

2012a3tdi

TDI
Audia3 2012
I've decided to upgrade my Audi A3 TDI 2012 CR140, and would like to take it to a Stage 3.5 by Malone Tuning. Can anyone recommend what hardware will be necessary, CR170 turbo, or EGT sensors? I have a local dealer but, would like to find a deal on the turbo unit, any suggestions?

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
I heard Kerma say something about an emissions intact cr170 setup. I think you would be wise to retain the emissions equipment in California. You would need the turbo, gaskets, the plastic cr170 intake pipe, and whatever fittings to cobble the EGR plumbing together.

Votblindub

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 Jetta Wagon
I thought you "fit" a tune to your hardware that's picked based on power output desired. That seems the other way around to me?

sootchucker

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf
the only way you can run a malone 3.5 is with a CR170. youll need an inlet pipe, EGR delete kit, EGT probe, 4 bar map sensor along with the DPF delete.

for what it's worth, i have had the stage 3.5 setup for 10,000 miles and i am pulling it off my car because i am turning it in. if you are interested, let me know.

turbobrick240

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 vw golf tdi(gone to greener pastures), 2001 ford f250 powerstroke
A DPF delete is not going to serve the op well in california.

john.jackson9213

Top Post Dawg
TDI
1996 B4V
A DPF delete is not going to serve the op well in california.
X 2 on this. Frankly, you are asking for BIG trouble if you do this. You WILL fail the required smog test and will not be able to register your car till you replace all the factory emissions equipment and get it properly inspected.

Do the smart thing and take the VW buyback - Then buy a gasser A3. That way you will avoid making a whole lot of trouble for yourself.

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
Best to leave everything in the emissions system alone if you plan to keep the car reliable and inspected in California. That includes playing with intake flaps and low EGR, any changes in those departments could give you DPF issues. Would be very mindful of what you do tuning wise and inspect everything with VCDS if you want to keep that car legal in California, these exhaust systems are not reliable and are fairly expensive wear items. Would honestly consider a trade in if you're not doing 20K+ miles/yr and need the mileage.

The CR170 makes about 20-25HP/20lb-ft over the stock turbo. That's a hard sell on a car with a functioning turbo and our stage 3/3.5 tunes do not pass any kind of emissions. Haven't personally looked into revos CR tunes but they do everything else pretty well, your best bet at this point would be to hop on a reliable dyno and see how she's performing in case malone or kerma have something better to offer. Log boost and fuel rail pressure with VCDS, should not be sustaining more than 22-23 PSI.

We're working on a big turbo bolt on kit that will be emissions compliant and make far more power than the CR170 and 190 turbos floating around. If that's your cup of tea combined with a DSG race file we'll have you covered, although you're probably going to be limited to around 230HP with the exhaust and stock pump.

Last edited:

Kevinski4

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
the only way you can run a malone 3.5 is with a CR170. youll need an inlet pipe, EGR delete kit, EGT probe, 4 bar map sensor along with the DPF delete.

for what it's worth, i have had the stage 3.5 setup for 10,000 miles and i am pulling it off my car because i am turning it in. if you are interested, let me know.

4bar MAP is not needed for Stage 3 or 3.5 tunes. Not sure why everyone thinks this all of a sudden...

2012a3tdi

TDI
Audia3 2012
Owain thank you for the info! I am wondering when VW plans on beginning the phase 1 recalls, think mine will be one of those, or what that will entail as far as timeline before owners are forced to return, modify emissions?

Owain@malonetuning

Associate Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
PD jetta wagon
4bar MAP is not needed for Stage 3 or 3.5 tunes. Not sure why everyone thinks this all of a sudden...
Helps log overboost since you're close to maxing the sensor, not needed at all though. Looking at 28 PSI on a stage 3.5 and a few people have wanted 30-32 on 4 bars, not that that really does anything other than heatsoak the motor.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
2013 JSW, 2003 Jetta Ute, 2 x 2002 Golf, 2000 Golf
I heard Kerma say something about an emissions intact cr170 setup. I think you would be wise to retain the emissions equipment in California. You would need the turbo, gaskets, the plastic cr170 intake pipe, and whatever fittings to cobble the EGR plumbing together.
I would concur with turbobrick. Good luck registering in CA if you get rid of the emissions system, because even if you pass on opacity, you won't pass if the emissions systems are defeated, because the smog station won't have a readiness indicator for emissions.

With that said, I don't know how restricting your upgrade would be with the stock downpipe and all the crap between the turbo and the tailpipe, or if it would kill off your DPF even quicker.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
We're working on a big turbo bolt on kit that will be emissions compliant and make far more power than the CR170 and 190 turbos floating around. If that's your cup of tea combined with a DSG race file we'll have you covered, although you're probably going to be limited to around 230HP with the exhaust and stock pump.
I wish this were around when I upgrade to my current setup. As it is, I'm happy with my Stage 3.5 setup, but a little more power for a car I'll probably keep would be enticing.

2012a3tdi

TDI
Audia3 2012
I've completing the online steps to 14 or 15, waiting for Audi to get back to me, and then don't know if I will have to submit asap or if I can sleep on it till the end of 2017? If I have to return the car in a short time frame I will buy into gas, electric, or hybrid. If I can return the car at my leisure then will hold off and enjoy the upgrades.

pkhoury

That guy with the goats
TDI
I've completing the online steps to 14 or 15, waiting for Audi to get back to me, and then don't know if I will have to submit asap or if I can sleep on it till the end of 2017? If I have to return the car in a short time frame I will buy into gas, electric, or hybrid. If I can return the car at my leisure then will hold off and enjoy the upgrades.
Sadly, that would be your best bet, living in CA. Now if you were in a county that didn't do biannual smog testing, you might have a chance at modding your TDI, but I don't think there are any counties in So Cal that allow that.