www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI (Diesel) Emissions

TDI (Diesel) Emissions This is a discussion about emissions from TDI's. Pro's cons of Diesels (including biodiesel) effects on the environment and how they compare to Gasoline and other fuel sources for Internal combustion engines.

Old January 14th, 2017, 07:49   #31
Screenial

When I called the number on the website I had the strangest experience. The convo went like this:
VW Rep: (answers call) Yeah?
Me: Um, is this VW?
VW Rep: Yeah
Me: I got an email that says I need my previous registration, I don't have that, and I went to the DMV and they said they wouldn't have a copy of my previous years registration. They can send me a record history of my car. Is that good enough?
VW Rep: (silence)
Me: hello?
VW Rep: yeah, hold on
(wait long period in silence...... then another person comes on the line)
VW Rep: Yes?
Me: (repeats everything I said to the other rep)
VW Rep: You need to send last years 2015 registration
Me: Once again, I don't have that. No one keeps expired registrations.
VW Rep: You need to get it from the place you get your car stickers from.
Me: Yes, that's the DMV, and like I said, I spent an hour there today, and they said they cannot print out expired registrations. Is proof that I paid it enough to satisfy VW?
(silence)
Me: Hello?
VW Rep: You need to send your previous registration from 2015. They need proof you owned the vehicle then.
Me: (wondering if someone is playing a joke on me) Really? I bought the car new in 2008.I still have the bill of sale.
VW Rep: You need to send your previous registration from 2015.
Me:Is a paid receipt for my 2015 registration enough?
VW Rep: (pause)Yes
Me: Can I scan this and email it like the other documents?
VW Rep: Yes
Me : Okay, I guess that's all I have to ask.
VW Rep: Ok, goodbye

I couldn't believe how unprofessional and odd the whole conversation went, I'm not convinced anyone VW hired to answer questions has a clue what they are doing.

Screenial is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 04:25   #32
deming
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 38-44

You do not have to sell the car back to them. Most people are because the dollar amount offered is very good.

Keep the car and let VW figure out their own issues and fines.

VW has to repurchase most of the cars ( a certain percentage ) otherwise they get fined a larger and additional penalty amount by the government.
deming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 11:17   #33
tc1uscg
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screenial View Post
When I called the number on the website I had the strangest experience. The convo went like this:
VW Rep: (answers call) Yeah?
Me: Um, is this VW?
VW Rep: Yeah
Me: I got an email that says I need my previous registration, I don't have that, and I went to the DMV and they said they wouldn't have a copy of my previous years registration. They can send me a record history of my car. Is that good enough?
VW Rep: (silence)
Me: hello?
VW Rep: yeah, hold on
(wait long period in silence...... then another person comes on the line)
VW Rep: Yes?
Me: (repeats everything I said to the other rep)
VW Rep: You need to send last years 2015 registration
Me: Once again, I don't have that. No one keeps expired registrations.
VW Rep: You need to get it from the place you get your car stickers from.
Me: Yes, that's the DMV, and like I said, I spent an hour there today, and they said they cannot print out expired registrations. Is proof that I paid it enough to satisfy VW?
(silence)
Me: Hello?
VW Rep: You need to send your previous registration from 2015. They need proof you owned the vehicle then.
Me: (wondering if someone is playing a joke on me) Really? I bought the car new in 2008.I still have the bill of sale.
VW Rep: You need to send your previous registration from 2015.
Me:Is a paid receipt for my 2015 registration enough?
VW Rep: (pause)Yes
Me: Can I scan this and email it like the other documents?
VW Rep: Yes
Me : Okay, I guess that's all I have to ask.
VW Rep: Ok, goodbye

I couldn't believe how unprofessional and odd the whole conversation went, I'm not convinced anyone VW hired to answer questions has a clue what they are doing.

What about the TITLE. That shows ownership and when you sell the car, the title goes to the buyer, who gets one on the date they make the purchase. Did you take the car in for any services? They should have records of that.

2013 Passat TDI SEL Pre, 2011 Town&Country, 2009 Jeep Liberty, 2002 Jeep Liberty
tc1uscg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 15th, 2017, 21:46   #34
Seikoguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer1 View Post
I was amazed. I received my Chase information as noted above at 8:26 the day after the buyback at the dealer. I found the payment in my non-Chase account the NEXT DAY just 16 hours later. So I am totally through the process and had no issues at all.
Same with me. I had zero issues with the buyback process. Turned my car in on a Tuesday afternoon - spent about 10 minutes at the VW dealership. Got the email from Chase two days later (Thursday), and the funds were in my Chase account the next day (Friday). Super easy. I would imagine that the majority of VW TDI owners will have easy transactions, especially if all their paperwork was in order.
Seikoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2017, 03:50   #35
bruce51d

TDI(s): 2012 jetta

I work in the middle east and my mom has a power of attorney. Shes been taking care of it for me. I just don't like how i'll have to take it 100 miles to the dealership and have someone follow me though. Hell of a lot better than keepin it though.
Old January 19th, 2017, 07:10   #36
CNYTDi

I'm still waiting to hear back from VW as according to the claim portal, "They are reviewing my documents to see if I qualify". Orig faxed items were in mid Nov--2 weeks later get a e-mail from VW "We cannot make out your face on DL". WTH does that have to do w/ things as all other info match reg that was on same fax page? Re-send DL 2x and at above statement from VW--that was early Dec. Meantime, car has bad water leak, but dealer has loaned us a '14 Jetta cuz our TDi is non driveable due to leak.

If someone calls the VW class council number which I assume is a lawyer number, who ends up paying them? What can they do that I'm not to get things moving?
CNYTDi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 09:35   #37
Lightflyer1
Veteran Member

They get their money from the award just like we do. Call them. They can at least bring attention to things that stick out.

Lightflyer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2017, 09:43   #38
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tc1uscg View Post
What about the TITLE. That shows ownership and when you sell the car, the title goes to the buyer, who gets one on the date they make the purchase. Did you take the car in for any services? They should have records of that.
You have to send both title or loan info and registration. I usually have several years worth of registrations in my glove box. Same with insurance cards. It's more of a black hole than usable storage.
Old January 19th, 2017, 10:04   #39
Campbellonh
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/48/42

Quote:
Originally Posted by CNYTDi View Post
I'm still waiting to hear back from VW as according to the claim portal, "They are reviewing my documents to see if I qualify". Orig faxed items were in mid Nov--2 weeks later get a e-mail from VW "We cannot make out your face on DL". WTH does that have to do w/ things as all other info match reg that was on same fax page? Re-send DL 2x and at above statement from VW--that was early Dec. Meantime, car has bad water leak, but dealer has loaned us a '14 Jetta cuz our TDi is non driveable due to leak.

If someone calls the VW class council number which I assume is a lawyer number, who ends up paying them? What can they do that I'm not to get things moving?
I hope you don't have too far to drive to get to your dealer, if you don't want to fix the water leak (assuming it could be driven a short distance if you kept it topped up along the way). When I was getting the final paperwork ready to go in for our turn in date, I noticed there was a stipulation that it had to be driven to the dealer under its own power. We kept it in the garage with space heaters running the night before, to make sure we wouldn't have another intercooler freeze-up non-start.

I believe VW has to pay all the lawyer fees, but I don't know if they can help move things along. Can't hurt to try.
2014 Honda Crosstour (I know, a gasser, pretty nice though)
Campbellonh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 07:07   #40
DanB36
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campbellonh View Post
I noticed there was a stipulation that it had to be driven to the dealer under its own power.
There is no such requirement. It has to be able to drive under its own power, but there is no requirement on how it arrives at the dealer. My dealer took my wrecked JSW delivered on a flatbed tow truck without issue, and others have reported similar results.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG
Pending Dieselgate sale: 2013 Jetta sedan, 2014 Jetta sedan
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 09:40   #41
GoFaster
Moderator at Large

And there's no specification for how long it has to be able to drive under its own power.

Most have reported that they may move it out of a parking spot and then into the spot, or across the parking lot, or something of that sort ... not an endurance test.

If there's a coolant leak and it's an easy fix, fix it.

If the coolant leak is in a non-essential component (e.g. heater core), bypass the leaky part with a suitable hose.

If it's going to be expensive to repair (e.g. water pump), have the car towed to the dealer. It'll run long enough with low coolant for what is needed here.
GoFaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 20th, 2017, 12:15   #42
DanB36
Veteran Member

Mine had a coolant leak due to a hole in the radiator. Low coolant warning was blaring whenever the ignition was on. It was accepted without question. See http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread...ht=wrecked+car for more of my story.

"DanB36 seems to be always on point." - CT_White_SRT
Sold: 2000 Jetta GLS TDI, Atlantic Blue, 270k miles
Sold to Dieselgate: 2 x 2013 JSW DSG
Pending Dieselgate sale: 2013 Jetta sedan, 2014 Jetta sedan
DanB36 is offline   Reply With Quote