To sell or not to sell, 2000 Jetta GLS 6-Speed

Comiclown

TDI
I have a 2000 Jetta sedan GLS with 6 speed DRW gearbox. Currently it has ~ 233K miles. Silver color, black leather interior, Moonroof. Very good mileage, since auto to manual swap I have been consistently getting 40-42 (City) and 49-51 (Highway). The car handles very well and drives smoothly, stock shocks. So far I have performed most of the maintenance by myself.
  • I personally swapped the transmission from Auto to 6 Speed at ~ 175K (gearbox bought from Ryan Parkin in late 2010), Over $2.5K invested on conversion. Thanks to help from TDI folks on installation!.
  • TB was changed ~175K by Ed Karpinski (Marcellus Street Garage, Syracuse NY).
  • New 4 tires continental purecontact with ecoplus technology (less than 1K miles). Tires bought @ TireRack and mounted and balanced at Firestone.
  • New VNT actuator (this year)
  • Boost gauge for monitoring (this year)
  • New Front wheel bearings.(this year)
  • New Headlight Assembly. (this year)
  • New Battery Duracell (I had to get one when I saw Duracell car battery)
  • New Starter (Bosch)
  • Newer Rack and pinion (within past 2 years)
  • Newer Ball joint, sway bar bushings and end links (within past 2 years)
  • Brakes and rotors (within past 2 years)
  • Newer Serpentine belt tensioner (within past 2 years)
  • Newer Alternator pulley(within past 2 years)
  • Regular oil change (Castrol Full Synthetic), Air filter, Fuel Filter and cabin Filter etc changes performed.
  • Following are few issues but still drives excellent:
  • The car has/had a classic front fender rust problem. I replaced the passenger fender with newer silver fender but the driver side will need to be replaced at some point.
  • Airbag light is on, it has been ON for past 3 years. (Another TDI issues witha air bag coil spring)
  • The cruise control does not work (during the 6 speed swap I never wired the cruise control)
  • Few dents (I'll try to post a picture soon)
So here's my story, I recently moved to Atlanta and I will not be driving much for next few years plus the monthly parking is not cheap. So I am thinking of completely getting rid of my car and rely on walking, biking and Marta. If you are interested to take it for a spin the vehicle is located in mid town Atlanta. Any questions please contact me.
Bonus: I have the VW factory roof rack with locks.
I believe $5,900 is a fair price.

Last edited:

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
I would say keep it. If you want go any were you are stuck there.

Comiclown

TDI
I would say keep it. If you want go any were you are stuck there.
Part of me wants to keep it. I was even planning on upgrading the injectors nozzle, but here I don't have space to work on my car (can't work on the parking garage) plus the amount I am paying for parking may go to in renting Zip cars when I really have to drive a car. I would love to keep it but at the end of the day someone may enjoy owning than me just keeping in the garage and driving less than 2K miles a year.