should this tensioner wheel be rattling this bad?

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
I've had my alternator pulley seize up so it was just solid. The bouncing tensioner was much worse than in your video. So yours is probably okay.

It's easy to check that the alternator pulley is working properly. Just take the serpentine belt off, stick a screwdriver or something into the cooling fan blades inside the alternator so you can stop it from turning, and then try to turn the pulley by hand. It should freewheel in one direction and not the other. (Do this with the engine off, obviously!)

When mine failed it went solid in both directions, so with the alternator blocked from spinning, the pulley would not spin in either direction.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Looks pretty smooth, small amount of runout is likely bearing wear, good for a long time.

fouillard13

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta TDI Standard
awesome, good to know! I was super worried about it. dying rotating parts with belts on them scare me.

also good tips/advice on the alternator pulley. I will check that out later today when im tinkering under the hood. got a few hose clamps to change and going to spray brake clean on my leaks.

just to double check. its as simple as loosening the tensioner with a 15mm wrench, popping the belt off/to the side, and spinning the alternator? literally takes under 1 minute?

as seen here: https://youtu.be/4Y7ATT0V9To?t=58

thanks guys!!!

Metal Man

Vendor
TDI
1998 NB TDI, 2006 Jetta TDI, 2014 Tiguan gas, , 2019 E Golf X2
You can gently reach in the alternator with a small screw driver and turn the fan backwards to check the pulley. Edit to say you can do this without removing the belt.

Last edited:

Mike_04GolfTDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Mine: 2019 Golf R DSG, Wife's: 2015 Golf Comfortline TDI
On my car it takes a 16mm wrench to loosen the tensioner. You put the wrench on the tensioner, pull it until the belt is loose and the holes line up for a locking pin, and then stick the pin in to hold it.

There’s quite a bit of force, so the pin has to be something strong like a nail.

This video shows the guy putting the pin in to hold the tensioner in the released position.

https://youtu.be/J3DgkhxZybk