VW Scirocco CR170 - CBBB - performance build

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Great looking car! I really wish we would get the new Scirroco over here in the states.:mad: I'm really liking that blue.:D

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Thank you, Rising blue is one of the best colours for the Scirocco, Viper Green being the second.

Bit of an audio related update over the last few weeks.

Anyway at the weekend, got some Audio work done thanks to one of my best mates Jairm, he did all the Audio work on my old Golf.
(write up of the Golf here: http://www.mk5golfgti.co.uk/forum/index.php/topic,67735.195.html)

Got the following.
Hertz ESKL163.5L (fronts)
Hertz DK 165.3L (rears)
Rockford Fosgate 10 inch Subwoofer (from my Golf).
MTX Terminator Amp (for the Sub)
Hertz 4 Channel Amp (to power the speakers).

A lot easier to do than the Golf, so much more space in the door for the Crossover Units, no need for adaptor rings either, the 16.5cm speakers fitted straight in place.

Crossover units going BEHIND the speakers, so had to cut a small hole to run the wires.

Did some strategic placing of sound deadening as well. Didn't completely cake the doors in it as it wasn't needed, just enough to keep the sound in where we want it - In the car.

It's long work so we only got the fronts done on Saturday.

We're going to grab a couple of days off work over the next month or so, do the rears, and also going to do a rear seat delete and build up a false floor, tirm it all, get it fitting lovely, get the Amps mounted and wired in, and get a sub box all built up with additional sound deadening.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Ummm okay so with a lot of help from my mate Jairm we got around to doing the rear seat/bench delete.
Started by clearing out the boot... someone's obviously had a Christmas tree in the boot .
20150422_200159 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
Got it all in the front and took it home.
20150422_200221 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
All in my car from drag racing.. think of the weight saving
3 sheets of MDF
20150422_215659 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
Stripped all the interior off.
20150423_101233 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
Left us with this.
20150423_103014 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
Jairm started doing the Hi-Low converters (needed 2) and the rest of the wiring, and I got on with sound deadening.
20150423_132940 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
Drilling out the standard speakers.
20150423_141335 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
Replaced with the Hertz DSKs in the back. Plastic welded the tweeters in place.
More progress with the false floor.
20150424_115401 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
An old sub box that Jairm had lying around. He decided to make use of it for this project, just making some adjustments
20150424_120014 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
While this was going on, I wanted a personal touch so I made out a Fat Bear Photography logo.
20150424_172104 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
Although this isn't going on at the moment, need to buy some more appropriate fabric.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Jairm doing some more trimming.
20150424_173529 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
Things starting to look a little more finished now..
20150424_172240 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
Jairm sorted me out with a 12 inch sub as my 10 inch looked a little bit lost, plus fitted the box... result. As it's brand new, needs bedding in still.
20150424_185801 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
And here's a sort of finished picture.
20150424_190136 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
We ran out of time as we were both working on cars over the weekend... so there's a little bit more to do, around the edges, but it's pretty much there.
Got a few little niggles with the wiring and what not, and need to sort out the amp settings but in time that will come. Very happy with the end result :)

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
car lost all it's coolant due to the MAP sensor on the new boost pipework kit rubbing on the hose
something broke on the turbo/ecu causing limp mode and once ignition cycled it would boost at 30psi tops (instead of 38), was slow and smoked a lot.

After getting on the E-mail to Darkside they said to drop it off as soon as possible and they would investigate and sort it out. I dropped it off and left it with them for a week.

The car had some buggered engine mounts (apparently) which caused excess engine movement, the Actuator was not kicking out the correct voltage, causing the low boost, it was replaced, suspect the engine rocked too much and broke the actuator - and they also rectified the rubbing issues of the coolant hose. There was also a snapped stud on the Manifold -> Engine and some niggly other bits too but they're OK now. really nice of the guys to sort me out on short notice during a workshop closure.

Got new engine mounts which I fitted last monday which are new OEM ones filled with polyeurethane which have eliminated the movement without horrible vibrations :congrats:

They also tweaked the map, we're now up to 250bhp with a much better graph and much nicer power delivery on the road, it feels a lot more aggressive below 3000.

Here's the car after the drive back from Barnsley

Here's the car later that night

A deer ran out into my car on an NSL road. I wasn't even going that fast (50-ish) which was the f**ing annoying thing. Braked as quick as my reactions would let me proabbly hit it around 30-40

Stripped the front end down to inspect for damage.

Punctured AC condensor
Bent front support (rad packs all attach to this)
Bent front crash panel (can bend it back and should be fine)
F**ked bonnet
Most of the under bonnet plastics broken
front gloss black grill cracked/split (not really visible unless you look up but nevertheless)
Headlight washer was pushed into the bumper
snapped headlight bracket (can be plastic welded)

I have so far collected the following replacement parts (all new).

AC Condensor
Front panel (the big metal/fiberglass surround that holds all the rads)
New rad grill support thingy
New rad grill (the gloss black one)
New bonnet

Replacement head unit:

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
I got this through while I was away on work so had to wait to get home to fit it...
Taking the old bonnet off was easy enough.. 4 bolts and the windscreen jets.

Transferred the latch over no problems.

New bonnet came well packaged but then had all kinds of issues

All the threads to which they bolt to the car were full of gunk, I'm assuming it's a resin of somesort. Incredibly stiff. 3 managed to be cleared with a lot of gentle to-ing and fro-ing, one needs a proper die ran through it.

The hole for the bonnet stay was made but was too small!! So had to trim the bonnet stay thing so it would fit.

No holes for windscreen washer jets...

But the main thing is that it's on and I think it looks AWWSUMMM.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Ahh thanks buddy, glad you like it! Sounds a bit different now with the new turbo, I'll re-do a video when I can get a chance!

Jeta Life

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta TDI DSG Auto
You got an awesome car xjay ! Sciroccos of course were discontinued here in the States, may get one someday in my parents native Montenegro. Thanks for sharing those pics good luck with everything, take it easy don't blast off into space with that thing !

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
You got an awesome car xjay ! Sciroccos of course were discontinued here in the States, may get one someday in my parents native Montenegro. Thanks for sharing those pics good luck with everything, take it easy don't blast off into space with that thing !

Ahh thank you mate appreciate the kind words :)

Improved on my PB at Santa Pod from 14.22 to 14.08.

however...

20150823_125345 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Pretty sure that something's wrong there haha.
Royce towed me a little bit up the road with a borrowed tow-rope

20150823_125554 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Something seems to have been missing from the end of the shaft.....

20150823_154128 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Completely ruined that lol, spline sheered off and took the hub nut out with it.

20150823_154601 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

My mate Alex at AKS very very kindly came up from his Workshop with a spare driveshaft and hub nut. What a lad.

20150823_155355 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Swapped it over, nice and easy, drove home. Result.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
- harness bar fitted, fia approved plates welded
- new air con condensor
- 5w40 nanodrive service
- project mu h16 pads and new 340mm mtec j hook tts discs
- coolant hose repair (blew out again that's the second time ffs).

we started by stripping the interior out.

20160304_092125 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

20160304_102252 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Also as there was alot of stuff during the day that I couldn't really help with (welding/fabbing etc) I brought along loads of paint and my new 310 calipers. need to get discs and pads but i'll do that at a later date owing to money...

20160304_110321 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Started with the filler primer after giving them a key up. probably was a mistake as it sunk later i should have topped it with a normal primer but hey ho i can touch it up when we go to fit them.

20160304_111444 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

New project Mu pads... rocking horse to get hold of. good enough for british touring car racing, good enough for me.

20160304_112401 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

New Mtec j hook TTS discs with their black coating.

20160304_114124 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

giving the car a check over i inspected a previous repair from where i had a leaky coolant hose because it was rubbing/catching on the map sensor plug as the darkside pipework has the map sensor housing at a weird angle combined with the larger pipework means it can catch.

luckily i hadn't lost any coolant as the hole was just above the clip but was still a lucky escape. just annoyed it was the second time to have happened now. we have fixed it properly by using some silicone and cable ties. but the map sensor should really be rotated round the housing.

20160304_125122 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Alex getting started on my harness bar!

20160304_125158 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Always like Alex's welding, he's very talented..

20160304_134757 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Back to my 310mm rears, i had by now applied the paint and some high temp clearcoat.
Very shiney, considering how crap the paint underneath was originally, i'm quite happy with the result.

20160304_140803 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Harness bar finished, I got to painting it as I didn't want bare metal in the boot, trying to make it look presentable.
20160304_142652 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Outside after a few coats of zinc primer as we were using t45 just incase of any corrosion
should have then put some filler primer then normal primer instead but was in a bit of a rush

20160304_150136 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

More being stripped out.

20160304_150412 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Replacing my duff air con condensor.

20160304_151534 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Finished off the bar, looks presentable enough.

20160304_154128 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Aligning things up to make it as level as possible...
20160304_165241 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Yet more holes being drilled into my car :(

20160304_164857 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

I gave the holes a dusting of paint just to seal up any future rust.
Alex got to grinding back the paint inside so he could weld in some FIA approved mounts for the harnesses.

20160304_171355 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

20160304_171558 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
20160304_180937 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

MIG welded (looks better than some tig!)

20160304_182045 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Some from the other side.

20160304_182056 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Given a dusting of paint and the eyelet threaded in!

20160304_183352 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Sliced the carpets as little as possible and layed the carpet down again so it looks almost oem unless you have a keen eye!
Harness bar bolted in place, harnesses in!

20160304_211257 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Finished product.

20160304_211309 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr
In addition thanks to a mate I have an R bumper to be painted this month hopefully.

20160301_202810 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

and I'm starting to get bits to fab up my own intake solution as no-one has an off-the-shelf kit for this engine

i have a heatshield from Forge and some 80mm hose. Need to get a suitable filter (I'm still researching which one) and will go from there.
20160229_190052 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

The goal is to have an all metal MAF housing made and welded to an intake pipe but you can't separate the MAF from the maf housing on these engines like you can the old PD engines.

YukonLT

Veteran Member - TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
2010 Golf TDI 6MT
Love this car and build, nice work!

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Really diggin' the great work you're doing!!! :D

In for all future updates :cool:

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Love this car and build, nice work!
It does the job! I have a lot of plans still including full racing livery, wide carbon arches (front and rear, from the GT24 car). So happy with the car still after 18 months of ownership.

Really diggin' the great work you're doing!!! :D

In for all future updates :cool:

:eek: Thank you for the kind words, look forward to sharing updates with you soon.. :cool:

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Hello -

So I can now reveal that we have done a new tune from the ground up on the car.
The old Darkside map was good, and I had zero problems with it, but I felt more could be had from the car.

Bobby Singh agreed to take on the challenge. Some of you may have read his 440+ bhp A4 3.0 V6 build on here. So certainly knows his stuff.

The before was 242bhp and 350 ft lb of torque.
Now we are are 250bhp and 385ft lb. The torque has come in a lot more aggressively with a much better spool as well.

20160324_152933 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

A before and after.

And comparative on paper - Top is darkside. Bottom is Bobby's.
Better power and torque aside from under 2000rpm.

2016-03-24_09-51-59 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Very strong spool at 2400rpm.

2016-03-24_09-32-57 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

We are right on the limit of the fuel pump now. We can't get any more and have tried many work arounds.

I am ordering the last part of my intake that I am making up at the end of the month, and hope to have that sorted early into April.
Not sure when we will have the uprated pump, but I'm told it will be soon. We are having to sort out our own pump kit out so it's taking a bit longer.

The car feels a night and day from before, so I'm really chuffed and hugely grateful for the time and effort that Bobby has put into it.

Last edited:

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Thanks bud :)

We tried to get a CP3 from Andrew however he was not willing to sell one to go on my car. (politics).
Never ones to let setbacks get in the way of progress, we are making our own solution. Once its ready I will be able to share more details.

ATR

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT
Thanks bud :)

We tried to get a CP3 from Andrew however he was not willing to sell one to go on my car. (politics).
Never ones to let setbacks get in the way of progress, we are making our own solution. Once its ready I will be able to share more details.
No matter, this is turning into one of my favorite builds I've seen thus far. It helps that it's a Scirocco... Oh, and those seats are drool worthy (close to impossible to get a pair here in the states).

I'm curious to see how you tackle the fuel pump :)

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Aw thanks pal, appreciate the kind words glad you like it :)

I actually sold the seats yesterday! I will be ordering some brand new Recaro Pole Positions on Tuesday (we are on an extended public holiday here in the UK for Easter).
They should take about a month to arrive. So am quite excited.
The RS4 seats were lovely and comfortable but I want something a bit more track oriented :)

Im told we have some of the parts needed and the rest should he fabricated in the coming weeks.

rjt86

TDI
Passat CC CBBB 170
Man this is a awesome build, you got me excited lol

I'm following it closely as i'm keen on chucking the GTB2260 kit on my Passat CC CR170 CBBB in Australia, i just have the issue of not many diesel performance workshops like Darkside locally so hard to drive in and drive out with all the work done.

Have you compared the power your making now to GTI's or Golf R's on the street, surely a stock GTI or R should be a easy win?

Hows traction through the front wheels with this kit

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
That would be cool. The Passat CC are great looking saloons.
Im sure you can find somewhere. Even if you need to fit it all yourself and ship your ECU.
Can you not do.something with a Haltech? So you could self tune..

GTIs are easily dealt with, Rs are just doablr.
Tractiion isnt a problem as long as you dont have lead feet :) good tyres are a must.
Lsd coming soon.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Produced a custom intake solution (part one).

Had to get bits and bobs from various suppliers.

20160503_112909 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Sourced a heat shield from a Mk5 GTI, from UK aftermarket producer "Forge Motorsports".
Some off-the-shelf hoses.
My buddy at AKS Tuning made me up a short link pipe and bead-rolled it.

20160503_155646 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Finished product looks like this.

20160503_161438 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Part 2 of this intake is next visit, when we have some more time - I will get some metal pipework made up from the TIP to the MAF housing hopefully eliminating some crappy angles on the plastic flexi-hose.

I want a full pipe from TIP to filter however the MAF housing is stupid on the CR engines were the MAF does not separate from the MAF housing like the PD engines. I believe the PD170 MAF does seperate but I am not sure if this will be compatible with my ECU. I will check with Bobby (my tuner).

Hope to share some further fuel pump upgrade with you soon.

xjay1337

Veteran Member
TDI
Scirocco CR170.
Wanted to bring an update to the thread.

CP3 on. Also able to retain engine cover.

20160703_134258 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Bobby Singh spent a great deal of time on the car and we have an excellent tune for the time being.

I've done about 2500 miles on the CP3 since installation, on road, strip and track - and not had a single issue with rail pressure (or anything else actual. no CEL, no limp, no stuttering) Further developments being made and we will be able to post more details on power when we are finished.

CARS8154-3 by Fat Bear Photography, on Flickr

Last edited: