Q7 EGR Valve Failure

heidaway122

TDI
2009 Q7 3.0l TDI S Line
Newbie to the site but have seen a lot of great stuff on TDIC since I purchased my 2009 Audi Q7 TDI. I received bad news yesterday when I was told by the dealer that I "may" have a bad EGR valve. Estimate came in at $2,600 ($1,300 parts / rest labor) to pull everything apart to investigate. Evidentially, the EGR Valve on my 3.0l is nicely snuggled up on the back of the engine along the firewall. 7+ hrs of labor to remove.
Now to the problem, I will occasionally get the glow plug indicator when accelerating at highway speeds. 40+mph on on-ramps, passing on the highway, towing a trailer, etc.. Every time the light comes on, it sends me into limp mode. I can quickly reset if I shut the engine off & restart. Light goes off & limp mode goes away. I can predict when i'm going to go into limp mode by sluggish performance shortly before then... soon after, the light comes on. If i leave it on too long, the CE light will accompany the glow plug light.
Finally brought it to the dealer where I have a friend in the service dept. He pulled the codes for me and said I had two failure codes. EGR Valve failure & one turbo failure but figured the turbo could have been from the valve not opening or closing.
My overall question is.... has anyone replaced the EGR Valve on a Q7? I am fairly mechanically inclined & thinking of pulling it off myself to see if it's just needs cleaning but the 7 hr estimate has me contemplating...

jcrews

Top Post Dawg
TDI
All gone
It's booked as a 50 minute job for the CAT engine. The valve is right on top under a coolant hose below the beauty cover. There's only about 7 steps.

I'm discussing changing this valve: 059131512Q, the EGR motor V338.

Do you have the trouble code listing/print-out from the dealership?

gerpeters

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI and 2003 Jetta TDI
For anyone else out there having similar problems here is what fixed my Audi to make the Engine codes go away.
NOx with labor installed $1200 (and adblue top up)
EGR value $480
EGR assembly $700
Labor for EGR job $500

If you want to do the job yourself I wish you good luck. The EGR assembly is way hidden and not easy to get to at all. I was looking when the mechanic was working it. 5 hours of labor or so