dual mass flywheel failure/single mass conversion

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf 2 Door TDI (sold back for Dieselgate), 91 Golf 4 Door with 1Z swap
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5659045-Mk6-tdi-motor-mount-options/page2

See post 46^

All of the backstory is there. I have a feeling my DMF may be acting up and I had a few questions. First of all, is the symptom described in the above post a sign of DMF failure?

I would like to convert to a single mass if/when the DMF goes bad, or if it holds up, when the clutch goes bad.

What options are out there for the 6 speed mt that the CJAA is bolted up to?

I have heard of valeo, but have not seen reviews on the kit that idparts offers. Anyone out there get the valeo kit?

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
85 views and no responses. That's why I have a love/hate relationship with forums...

Sent from my DROID3 using Tapatalk 2

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
Do you just have the shaking that DankNugs talked about in post 46, or do you have the clunking/drivetrain movement that was talked about earlier in the thread, that is believed to be DMF related?

Also, other then DankNugs guess at the shaking being DMF related, what makes you think your problem is your DMF going bad?

Unfortunately, SMF kits for our 6 speed trannys are pretty limited. I only know of 2 kits, the Valeo and SBC unit. Both are expensive (Like $800 and $1200), and there isn't much info out there on either of them. Not many people have swapped over to them yet.

http://www.idparts.com/catalog/index.php?cPath=76_102

Personally, I would be worried at the Idle Clatter I have heard about with SMFs. I would hate to spend that kind of money to put one in, just to find out I couldn't live with the additional noise. It would also suck to swap in a SMF and find you still have the issue! I would also worry about the possible additional stress the SMF is putting on the drivetrain, since it doesn't dampen as well as the DMF.

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
I am danknugz. Sorry for the username change lol

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
I wasn't able to find anything on the sbc kit, and im curious if the valeo kit will hold up when I do a dpf delete and malone stage2 tune (***off road use only***).

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
if your thinking of adding that kinda of power, mind as well take the weak link out of the drive train. Next after the DMF/SMF conversion would be swapping out axles, they are known not to hold up to much abuse.

whiplash willy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 4-Door Golf TDI 6MT w/NAV & Sunroof
I am danknugz. Sorry for the username change lol

Haha...Oops!

I do remember reading about a 2 people who had early issues with their Valeo kits (like less then 30k miles), but that info is buried somewhere deep in my thread searching...

I would think that since our 6 speed trans have been out for several years now, that more people would have done SMF swaps and talked about them, maybe it is the $$ that is the reason for so few reviews. I haven't heard much about the SBC kit though. I don't understand why the SMF Conversions for the 5 speed trannys are like $400, and the ones for our 6 speeds are 2-3 times more!

I do know that this guy got a SBC SMF on his 2010 TDI Cup, but got a unsprung clutch, which should be run with a DMF. He also went through a few syncros shortly after. However it is not clear whether the SMF was part of the problem or not.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showpost.php?p=3937311&postcount=4

Also, after reading my last post, I hope I didn't come across as saying that you didn't know what you were talking about, I just meant to say it as "You haven't confirmed yet that the DMF is the problem"

ALso, IndigoBlueWagon is the owner of IDParts, and he may have some feedback on both of those SMF kits since he is one of the few people who sell them.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/member.php?u=24216

Last edited:

bassman5066

Veteran Member
TDI
DankNugs,

Does this sound like your issue:?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=360775

This guy also had a high speed vibe that he thought was his DMF, but it ended up having a clogged/damaged fuel filter...Solution on 2nd page.
I just read the whole thing. It sounds exactly what I am experiencing. It does not occur all the time, and it seems torque related, especially uphill and other high load situations. It will shake in 6th a bit, but its slight enough to be normal, but 4th and 5th are a different story. It seems like if I happen to hit a certain load at a certain speed and rpm it will shake the hell out of the wheel, like an out of round tire. It only occurs at 50-55+ and even then it doesn't always do it.

Just like the OP, I won't believe it is the fuel filter until I try it. I happen to have one on the shelf in my garage already, so its worth trying that before I spend 90 bucks at the dealer for a diag. I may do it tonight, but if not tomorrow, and I will update.

Type_TDi

TDI
2010 Golf
I just read the whole thing. It sounds exactly what I am experiencing. It does not occur all the time, and it seems torque related, especially uphill and other high load situations. It will shake in 6th a bit, but its slight enough to be normal, but 4th and 5th are a different story. It seems like if I happen to hit a certain load at a certain speed and rpm it will shake the hell out of the wheel, like an out of round tire. It only occurs at 50-55+ and even then it doesn't always do it.

Just like the OP, I won't believe it is the fuel filter until I try it. I happen to have one on the shelf in my garage already, so its worth trying that before I spend 90 bucks at the dealer for a diag. I may do it tonight, but if not tomorrow, and I will update.

Any update? I've been having similar issues with my 2010...