*Heads Up* 2011 Jetta Recalled for wiring issue.

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
A VW with wiring issues, shocking!!! (see what I did there)

autoblog said:
VW is recalling 71,043 of its 2011 model year Jetta sedans for a wiring problem with the horn and anti-theft alarm system. The automaker has long been chastised for problems with wiring and electronics in its vehicles, and though we're told that VW is working to improve quality in this area, some gremlins continue to crop up. No accidents or injuries have occurred as a result of this defect.

Customers will be notified via mail about this issue. Volkswagen will include information about corrective measures and anticipated repair time – something that the automaker has not yet released. Affected cars were built between March 2010 and March 2011.

VWoA said:

VOLKSWAGEN ANNOUNCES VOLUNTARY SAFETY RECALL OF 71,000 2011 MODEL YEAR JETTA VEHICLES

March 28, 2011 – Herndon, VA – Volkswagen of America, Inc. today announced a voluntary safety recall of 71,043 2011 model year Jettas in order to reconfigure a wiring layout associated with the anti-theft alarm system and horn. No injuries or accidents have been reported as a result of this condition.

The recall affects sixth generation Jetta sedan vehicles built between March of 2010 and March of 2011.

Affected owners will be notified via first class mail regarding the corrective measures and anticipated repair timeline.

Customers with questions or concerns should contact Volkswagen Customer Care at 1-800-822-8987.

~jb :rolleyes:

siriusxmfan

TDI
2011 Black JSW- "BOND"
Now I notice they said "Sedan" Just a play on words, or...Is the Sportwagen included??

11'jettaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG w/ Nav
I just got a call from my dealership, My car is at the Port (Houston) and ready to go but it can't move until its fixed. My dealer has the new wiring harness for the car and can replace it but VWoA won't it ship to be fixed, its got to be done before it moves...I completely understand. So after waiting 2 1/2 months for my TDI DSG with Nav, I'll have to wait just a bit longer.

11'jettaTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG w/ Nav

Yeah but it's a pretty important subject, if the same person made 4 threads then that's different. I'm glad there are multiple threads the 1st one may be at the bottom of the list and be over looked.

~Jb

Veteran Member
TDI
the blinding one
or better yet, if the mods of this section would sticky important information like recalls, ect.

That would also eliminate the chance of multiple threads.

marc77777

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Golf GTI black/black
Mine is at the dealer as we speak getting this and a list of other things fixed. When I heard about the recall I tried the horn the next time I was in the car...the horn doesn't even work?!?! It chirps when I lock the door but nothing when I push the horn from the steering wheel, the defrost doesn't work either...wonder if it's related. For a brand new car, I can't say i'm impressed. Does anyone else have these issues or am I the only one that got a lemon?

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
Mine is at the dealer as we speak getting this and a list of other things fixed. When I heard about the recall I tried the horn the next time I was in the car...the horn doesn't even work?!?! It chirps when I lock the door but nothing when I push the horn from the steering wheel, the defrost doesn't work either...wonder if it's related. For a brand new car, I can't say i'm impressed. Does anyone else have these issues or am I the only one that got a lemon?
no lemon's in canada, only limes that can't be returned ;)

mine was working fine. Can you please let me know what exactly they have done to your car for the recall once you get it back.

marc77777

Veteran Member
TDI
no lemon's in canada, only limes that can't be returned ;)

mine was working fine. Can you please let me know what exactly they have done to your car for the recall once you get it back.
I'll post when I find out what or how they fixed it. I'm scheduled to pick it up at 10pm tonight. Should have guessed the car would have a lot of problems, any dealership that has a service dept open until 2am must expect a lot of break downs. :rolleyes:

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I'll post when I find out what or how they fixed it. I'm scheduled to pick it up at 10pm tonight. Should have guessed the car would have a lot of problems, any dealership that has a service dept open until 2am must expect a lot of break downs. :rolleyes:
I understand that this new car hasn't been perfect for you from day one. However, I think it would be good to take a step back and let the issues get sorted. There is always a legal way if it has to go down that road. Also, your service department being open until 2am I think is a positive rather than a negative. I wish the service department I go to was as accommodating as yours.

I think it is very possible the horn not working and rear defrost not working could very well be related and that's why we have the recall. Instead of stalling the vehicle it shorted something else.

Please keep in mind with any new product there will always be bugs the public finds that can't be found during their testing. I too would like to know what they replaced during the recall on your vehicle and I hope that it will work like it is supposed too.

marc77777

Veteran Member
TDI
I understand that this new car hasn't been perfect for you from day one. However, I think it would be good to take a step back and let the issues get sorted. There is always a legal way if it has to go down that road. Also, your service department being open until 2am I think is a positive rather than a negative. I wish the service department I go to was as accommodating as yours.

I think it is very possible the horn not working and rear defrost not working could very well be related and that's why we have the recall. Instead of stalling the vehicle it shorted something else.

Please keep in mind with any new product there will always be bugs the public finds that can't be found during their testing. I too would like to know what they replaced during the recall on your vehicle and I hope that it will work like it is supposed too.
What is this legal way you speak of? Here is what has been done so far, one email to customer care, resonse received; one call to customer care, they will contact delaership to find out what is going on with my car and get back to me within 48 hours; one call left for sales manager at my dealership, awaiting response.
I do agree that some cars have flaws but this is beyond rediculous, here's what has been done so far.

Recall: appointment made, parts on order
Horn: verified, deffective, part on order
Door panel vibration: not properly assembled from factory, hole retapped and new screw installed
Defrost: Technician unable to determine cause, placed call with vw engineers
Wind noise: vw canada unaware of issue yet dealership has a bulletin which states to make window adjustment (in my opinion it is not the window but the mirrors as some on this forum have stated) since my car is still at the dealer I cannot confirm if this is corrected.

I was also told that cars are fully inspected at port and prior to client delivery. I realize testing a rear defrost on a sunny day could be hard to verify but the horn!! :confused: come on!!

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
There must be some sort of Lemon Law equivalent in Canada if you have to go down that road. I just don't know what it is like in Canada. In the state of Washington I think a vehicle has to go in to the dealer 2 or 3 times for the same issue before a consumer can use the lemon law.

At best, I see three issues with your vehicle although they all could be unrelated.

Recall- this could very well take care of the horn and rear defrost. Rear defrost might not be related as I am no electrical engineer and don't know the wiring schematics of these vehicles. If they aren't related it could be 4 or 5 issues as you have listed.

Door panel- definitely a manufacturing flaw, but seems like it was taken care of.

Wind noise- my vehicle too had wind noise and a new door seal has seemed to cure the problem.

I know you want to enjoy and like your car. I also can see your frustration as this car has been less perfect out of the box then others. Hopefully these issues will get sorted and it will be smoother down the road for you.

mo_focus

Veteran Member
TDI
84 944
What is this legal way you speak of? Here is what has been done so far, one email to customer care, resonse received; one call to customer care, they will contact delaership to find out what is going on with my car and get back to me within 48 hours; one call left for sales manager at my dealership, awaiting response.
I do agree that some cars have flaws but this is beyond rediculous, here's what has been done so far.

Recall: appointment made, parts on order
Horn: verified, deffective, part on order
Door panel vibration: not properly assembled from factory, hole retapped and new screw installed
Defrost: Technician unable to determine cause, placed call with vw engineers
Wind noise: vw canada unaware of issue yet dealership has a bulletin which states to make window adjustment (in my opinion it is not the window but the mirrors as some on this forum have stated) since my car is still at the dealer I cannot confirm if this is corrected.

I was also told that cars are fully inspected at port and prior to client delivery. I realize testing a rear defrost on a sunny day could be hard to verify but the horn!! :confused: come on!!
Horn is a major item i think. its even on the certification requirements so they should have tested the horn for sure!

Hopefully your issues will be dealt with soon and you can start enjoying your car.

marc77777

Veteran Member
TDI
There must be some sort of Lemon Law equivalent in Canada if you have to go down that road. I just don't know what it is like in Canada. In the state of Washington I think a vehicle has to go in to the dealer 2 or 3 times for the same issue before a consumer can use the lemon law.

At best, I see three issues with your vehicle although they all could be unrelated.

Recall- this could very well take care of the horn and rear defrost. Rear defrost might not be related as I am no electrical engineer and don't know the wiring schematics of these vehicles. If they aren't related it could be 4 or 5 issues as you have listed.

Door panel- definitely a manufacturing flaw, but seems like it was taken care of.

Wind noise- my vehicle too had wind noise and a new door seal has seemed to cure the problem.

I know you want to enjoy and like your car. I also can see your frustration as this car has been less perfect out of the box then others. Hopefully these issues will get sorted and it will be smoother down the road for you.
I'm not sure what or how the lemon law is applied in Canada but after talking to volks canada and the sales manager it's not looking good for trading the car since the defects were considered minor. Either way, i've calmed down somewhat, some of the issues were fixed but i'll have to return for the others. The wind noise was supposed to be fixed but still isn't or at least to my liking, i'm not sure what could be considered normal.
I really do like the car, I just feel I didn't get a good one...maybe mine was built on a Friday??
The one good thing is now I get the valet service when my car needs to go back for repairs. They drop a car off at my house and pickup mine and bring it to the dealer.

Enough ranting for me, hopefully my next posts will be more positive. :cool:

TDI_Timmy

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 JSW, DSG, Pano
I really do hope everything gets ironed out. Also, did you get the recall done? Any news on what was replaced?

Edit: Just saw the NHTSA post.

Last edited:

marc77777

Veteran Member
TDI
I really do hope everything gets ironed out. Also, did you get the recall done? Any news on what was replaced?

Edit: Just saw the NHTSA post.
My appointment was to get the recall done but they couldn't do it because the parts won't be in until mid-may. Why they gave me an appointment to fix something for which they don't have the parts is beyond me...I think the person was new.

BarrieCommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Jetta TDI Highline 6MT
i asked for the recall work to be done today but the service rep said that this is not an open recall for my VIN. she indicated it likely will be by the time i go for my first oil change on April 26.

mwayner69

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI DSG
My service advisor said that too, but he called VW and they told him they just hadn't released it yet. They did the recall today. They replaced a wiring harness.

moocat

TDI
Jetta 2011
New car problems

Purchased a 2011 Jetta TDI in January and the car has had some issues. First issue was the winshield wipers would creep up the windshield like in service mode and then would unlock all the doors. The radio faded in and out. They said it was a body control module defect and a short somewhere. Then just this past Thursday, I'm driving home from work (1 hr and 1/2 commute) and I start to smell a fuel smell. Thought it was the big truck in front of me. I get home, park the car in the driveway. My better half and I were going out to diner when we noticed fuel on the ground under the front end of my car (it was raining and you could see the teltale rainbow). I called the dealer and they suggested that I didn't drive the car and should have it towed. The next day they call and tell me it was a failed fuel injector. Again without my car for 4 days until they get the part. Not a good start for a brand new vehicle and it seems that safety is an issue here. Now we have a recall for electrical problems. Really starting to fear that I have an unsafe vehicle. I reported the fuel injector failure to the NHTSA as this could have resulted in a fire etc.
I'm thinking, one more serious issue and the car is gone. Not at all a happy camper.