16705/P0321 - Engine Speed Sensor (G28): Implausible Signal

cspeter8

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan
Help! Was taking inlaws to the airport, when on the interstate the car stalled out. Would not start again. Glow plug light was flashing. A few hours later it did start, ran for about 60 seconds then stalled again.

Pulled code, saw a 16705/P0321. Did search in this forum topic, and found nothing.

Not sure if this is only coincidence, or an important clue. Friday morning, before the fateful trip when this occurred, I isntalled a new Bosch O2 sensor. Is it possible that a wire or connector tat was marginally functional got knocked somehow to trigger this condition?

Some questions:
1) where is this sensor and related wiring on the BHW engine?
2) Is it likely I need to get a new part and install it, or should other things be considered?
3) what is the VW part number? Recommendations on where to get it?

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
That's the Vehicle Speed Sensor (G22) not the ESS (G28). The ESS is on the driver's side of the engine behind the oil filter housing.

cspeter8

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Sedan
I just got the car back from the garage yesteday. He installed an engine speed sensor, consistant with 1854sailor's post. It was about 2hours labor to diagnose and replace the part.

I'm a little disappointed that I didn't get the old part returned, but mostly glad the car is running again. I received a note from 1stvwparts.com that the sensor for a G28 code would be the impulse sendor, part number 038-907-319E, from ETKA, in case anyone wanted to know.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Glad you got it fixed, but you already had the code, so they didn't really need to "diagnose" anything, and it takes 10 or 15 minutes to replace the ESS... Was this a dealer?

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
G22 on trans just behind oil cooler feeds the speedo

G28 on the engine block just behind the oil filter feeds the ECU

afarfalla

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat sedan and 05 wagen
Yea I echoed your reply wanted to make sure he was awake I was just wondering which one is the problem? would the one feeding the speedo cause a no start?

I'm in the beginning stage of putting together a circuit that would optimize the torsion value for our engine. G40, G28, G22 and injector 1 are involved, I want it to adjust itself for any errors, I'm shooting for usec correction increments. I'm trying to keep dementia at bay

TDI
VW Passat 2000 1.9L TDI 85kW AJM
G28 on the engine block just behind the oil filter feeds the ECU
For more information about this: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=411903

Also note that G28 one of the single-point-of-failure parts in some engines (I don't know about BHW specifically, I have AJM). I'd get a new OEM part to be sure that I don't end up with the engine stalling on the highway like last time this part failed.

Last edited:

johnboy00

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon, 2004 Jetta, 2003 Jetta wagon
For more information about this: http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=411903

Also note that G28 one of the single-point-of-failure parts in some engines (I don't know about BHW specifically, I have AJM). I'd get a new OEM part to be sure that I don't end up with the engine stalling on the highway like last time this part failed.
Thank's for posting this link. I didn't realize that the bolt was 12 sided. I made a couple of feeble attempts to remove it with a 6 point socket, but gave up. Fortunately, I do not think I did enough damage to the bolt to prevent its removal.