Power Window Trouble

spliteye

TDI
2012 Golf
Hello everyone, I'm new to the forum and fairly new to VW ownership. Hopefully this is an appropriate place to post this.

I have a 2012 Golf TDI (65k mi) with the tech package and I'm having trouble with the front passenger side power window. The window will roll down, however it won't roll back up but about a half inch. The first time this happened, I was able to disconnect the battery for a couple hours and roll it up after everything reset, however it wasn't easy.

The second time that I stupidly rolled it down, I remembered about half way through the process and tried to roll it back up, however all the switch would do is stop it mid track, and it would continue to auto roll down once the switch was released. This time I had to pull the door panel and remove the motor to pull the window back up. The motor was hot when I removed it.

When the window gets stuck in the down position, I can hear the motor click once as I attempt to roll it up, however I only get about a half inch of progress and that's it.

I have tried the relearn procedure for the auto feature. I have tried the passenger side window switch and it's the same story, so I don't believe it's an issue with the switch itself. I also have a vag-com cable and I will see if there are any codes this weekend.

Would this most likely be an issue with the window motor or the regulator? I'm leaning toward the regulator. I am capable of either repair, but I'd like to not replace both if unnecessary.

Thanks for all your help,
Dan