Glow Plug wiring help.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
some time in the last year, i remember a post, it may have been by todd, or one of the other veteran members.

it was for personal re-wiring of the GPs. i need to find that info or post.
my GP harness is finished. i was going the 'easy' route. some wire, 4-type of connectors, and some wire caps to finish the job.

anyone remember where that post is? thanks.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
I did that to the Rotbox and it works fine. I think I used 14ga wire and female bullet connectors. Dressed it with some shrink tube and zip ties. Way better connection than the factory harness.

It was probably posted in the “what did you do” thread, along with my fix for the CGP box.

-Todd

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
yea thanks todd for the link. and the info / your work on the subject, area.

its esp the connector info i needed. so they workout/connect with out too much trouble.

i think im going to put the wires together with screw-on wire caps. not as neat as can be, or like yours. and bulky. but they are quick, and easy to get at.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
You’re going to use wire nuts? I’d at least use butt connectors... even better butt connectors with shrink tube. This stuff is available at any auto parts store.

-Todd

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
i got some good butt connectors and other stuff to do this. i was hesitant to use crimp connectors to do this. the wire nuts give a lot of connection, crimp-ons can be iffy.
again thanks.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
With the right tools, there’s nothing wrong with crimp connectors. Don’t use one of those cheesy strip and crimp tools that come in homeowner kits. Don’t crimp once and call it done... I see this way too often. Crimp all the way down the barrel. You want as much of a positive connection, as possible.

Other than a few sonic welds, the car’s entire harness is crimped. VW advises never to solder, always crimp.

-Todd

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
after a few trips to the auto store for these parts.

i used female snap, slide-on type connectors. wire, of course, a couple of large ga butt connectors, (shrinkable), a couple of male, and 2 covered female connectors. took some along with the extra store trips to get together, seems to work!
i happen to like it, and simple to disconnect, for engine work, maintenance.

getting the female (covered)connectors on the GP power wires was a pita. i cut them fairly long, like recommended. i had to remove the intercooler lines to get to them well enough.

took some doing, like i said, and planning to get wires and connectors right, &length. and connectors in right 'angle'/direction.
thanks todd for the link to your work. &good pictures.
beats buying another GP harness thats expensive and will probably end up crumbling. and much more bulky than what i was able to put together.

iluvmydiesels

Veteran Member
TDI
AHU
total amount for this project is ~$23. very reasonable. i didnt buy separate shrink wrap/tube. its more expensive.

i bought a lot of stuff that was a close fit, i went back to the store like 3x, so i have extras of similar stuff. probably wont use too much of that stuff, they are in the $3-$6 price range each, so its not a lot to return.