WTB MK4 Jetta Wagon (Body Only)

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 VW Passat TDI, 2003 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
Does anyone have a mk4 Jetta Wagon body only? My current wagon got hit very bad and insurance totaled it. I kept the car since it only had 109k miles on it and a lot of new parts. Would like to find another wagon so that I can transfer all the stuff from totaled one. Needs to be rust free if possible and color does not matter. I am in Georgia so looking for something close by. This would be my first time doing something like this so I am not sure if the 04-05 models would work since mine is 03 with ALH engine. I would like to get 02-03 models so that the swap is as easy as possible. Let me know what you have, feel free to send PM's.

Thank you
SAM

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Look for a 2.slow automatic wagon. They're pretty cheap, and there are far more of those out there than TDIs. You've got everything in your car to do the swap.

If you want something fancier look for a VR6 GLX Wagon, which will have better interior and climatronic.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Thnx IBW. Would it be a big issue with DMV going from gasoline to diesel? GA does not require emissions on diesel vehicles.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I don't think so. When you complete the new registration paperwork just change the fuel to diesel. But I don't think anyone would even notice. They can't tell the car's fuel type by VIN.

mrurbina

Vendor
TDI
MK4 jetta tdi , alh wagon
I have a buddy with an awesome blue body ...2.0 in NW NC . I'll see if he still has it. What's the price range you're looking for?

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
I have a buddy with an awesome blue body ...2.0 in NW NC . I'll see if he still has it. What's the price range you're looking for?
I was actually hoping to score blue body like indigo blue. I was looking for only body so maybe within a $1000.00. Let me know.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
I have time since I have another wagon that I am driving at the moment so not in a rush at all. You got something for me?

We picked up a TT, so my blue wagon will need to be moved along at some point. So, this could work out for both of us.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I don't think so. When you complete the new registration paperwork just change the fuel to diesel. But I don't think anyone would even notice. They can't tell the car's fuel type by VIN.
They can, actually. Most all DMVs use commonly available VIN decoders as well as existing database access. When we plug a VIN into our systems here (Alldata, RO Writer, Systec, etc. ) the car's info is all auto-populated. Heck, we can even do it by the license plate if it is an existing registration (Demand Force and others). But to that end, it really depends on your local gov't as to how they go about this, if they even care.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
We picked up a TT, so my blue wagon will need to be moved along at some point. So, this could work out for both of us.
Thats awesome, I would like to see some pictures of the blue wagon. I'll PM you my phone number and you can send me some pics. Thank you.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
They can, actually. Most all DMVs use commonly available VIN decoders as well as existing database access. When we plug a VIN into our systems here (Alldata, RO Writer, Systec, etc. ) the car's info is all auto-populated. Heck, we can even do it by the license plate if it is an existing registration (Demand Force and others). But to that end, it really depends on your local gov't as to how they go about this, if they even care.
If I am not mistaken it says on the title type of the fuel. I'll check it out tonight. As far as GA goes diesels dont require emission testings so from that aspect I am fine however if the title says gasoline and I switch and put diesel engine in it I dont know how DMV would made the transfer on the title. I guess I could call DMV and ask few questions and find out what I need to do if I go that route.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
In Missouri, we have to have the Highway Patrol sign off on the conversion, and even then, it has to be an engine that was originally available in that car. The Dept of Natural Resources administers the OBD testing mandates, but the MOHP oversees it. So we cannot put a TDI in a 2001 Passat for instance, without jumping through some hoops. But since they *did* sell a diesel in a 2004-5 Passat, and it is *mostly* the same car, they may let it go. The DMV will change the fuel type on the title, and when we (here at our shop, decentralized testing) put the info into our (the state's) system, we have to manually change the fuel type, so that the system looks for diesel OBD stuff instead of gasser stuff. I have not done a changed car inspection in a while, though, so it may have changed.

Thing is, if you live in an area that gasoline cars get OBD testing, but diesels do NOT, then bunches of people would be pulling the diesel card just to get out of the testing... so they HAVE to have some way of knowing.

The county in MO that I live in, Franklin, did not have any emissions testing on anything at all until around 2000, and they started with just the old BAR90, just for gas cars. Diesels were exempt. I actually had a heck of a time convincing the broads at the DMV that first go around that my 1991 Jetta, my 1998 Jetta, and the 1982 Rabbit pickup I had at the time, we in fact not only diesels, but they left the factory as such. I guess I must've had the only VAG diesels in the county. :rolleyes: So I ended up bringing in the titles, as well as pictures of the fuel filler doors of all the cars, and telling them that the next step was having them come out and lick the tailpipes. I was pretty pissed. The DUMB thing is, ANY diesel will pass a BAR90 test with flying colors... it may even have a hard time getting enough exhaust to test (sample dilution failure), so I was just about to drive them to the test stations the idiot state morons set up for a brief time (you wanna talk about a clusterfudge of EPIC proportions... :mad: ).

Eventually we got it settled. Then after a couple years, the BAR90 went away, the IM240 nonsense in STL Co and others went away, and we went back to the decentralized system and just a simple OBD test and just on 1996+ gassers/1997+ diesels and only with GVWR below 8500. We've thankfully been that way for a while now, and it may go away altogether.

So I would ask whomever your governing body in your state is, and see what they say.

RexNICO

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Tiguan, 2011 Q7
Thats awesome, I would like to see some pictures of the blue wagon. I'll PM you my phone number and you can send me some pics. Thank you.

Here's one I had in the photos section here.

It's an 03 2.0 AT that was converted to a 1.8 5-speed before I got it.

Body has 205k, it's not rust free, but I haven't found any meaningful rust.

I'll work on getting some more pics by this weekend. Of course you're welcome to come look at it ... I think you picked up some 17" VW wheels from me last Summer.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
In Missouri, we have to have the Highway Patrol sign off on the conversion, and even then, it has to be an engine that was originally available in that car. The Dept of Natural Resources administers the OBD testing mandates, but the MOHP oversees it. So we cannot put a TDI in a 2001 Passat for instance, without jumping through some hoops. But since they *did* sell a diesel in a 2004-5 Passat, and it is *mostly* the same car, they may let it go. The DMV will change the fuel type on the title, and when we (here at our shop, decentralized testing) put the info into our (the state's) system, we have to manually change the fuel type, so that the system looks for diesel OBD stuff instead of gasser stuff. I have not done a changed car inspection in a while, though, so it may have changed.

Thing is, if you live in an area that gasoline cars get OBD testing, but diesels do NOT, then bunches of people would be pulling the diesel card just to get out of the testing... so they HAVE to have some way of knowing.

The county in MO that I live in, Franklin, did not have any emissions testing on anything at all until around 2000, and they started with just the old BAR90, just for gas cars. Diesels were exempt. I actually had a heck of a time convincing the broads at the DMV that first go around that my 1991 Jetta, my 1998 Jetta, and the 1982 Rabbit pickup I had at the time, we in fact not only diesels, but they left the factory as such. I guess I must've had the only VAG diesels in the county. :rolleyes: So I ended up bringing in the titles, as well as pictures of the fuel filler doors of all the cars, and telling them that the next step was having them come out and lick the tailpipes. I was pretty pissed. The DUMB thing is, ANY diesel will pass a BAR90 test with flying colors... it may even have a hard time getting enough exhaust to test (sample dilution failure), so I was just about to drive them to the test stations the idiot state morons set up for a brief time (you wanna talk about a clusterfudge of EPIC proportions... :mad: ).

Eventually we got it settled. Then after a couple years, the BAR90 went away, the IM240 nonsense in STL Co and others went away, and we went back to the decentralized system and just a simple OBD test and just on 1996+ gassers/1997+ diesels and only with GVWR below 8500. We've thankfully been that way for a while now, and it may go away altogether.

So I would ask whomever your governing body in your state is, and see what they say.

Got some information from state office today. I called and basically they told me that it would not be an issue if I switch gasser to diesel. I have to fill out couple of forms and just take it to county tag office. One form is MV-1 which is basically correction of the title and thats where I would make the "fuel type" change. Other form is MV-18 which is Affidavit to support a request for correction of a Georgia certificate of title. No inspection need to come out to look at the car or anything. It sure does sound very simple and easy but I will double check into it just to make sure.

ssaric1.9TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Here's one I had in the photos section here.

It's an 03 2.0 AT that was converted to a 1.8 5-speed before I got it.

Body has 205k, it's not rust free, but I haven't found any meaningful rust.

I'll work on getting some more pics by this weekend. Of course you're welcome to come look at it ... I think you picked up some 17" VW wheels from me last Summer.
That a nice looking wagon. Yes I remember I did pick up some santa monicas from you last summer wow thats awesome. I did PM you my cell number so if you can just send some more pictures of the car. Also I posted on the post above that it looks like switching from gasser to diesel should be straight forward and easy. Couple forms and thats it.

Thank you
SAM