TDI motor AVF, auto crank, need manual

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta, 04 Passat Wagon
Hello, I purchased a AVF 1.9 TDI motor from the UK without knowing that the crank for an automatic transmission will not mate to a manual transmission. I’m planning to do a auto to 6speed manual conversion and need a crank from a manual car. What versions of motors if any have interchangeable parts. Will a crank from an 1.9 AWX work in my AVF

Last edited:

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
Well, that was a dead end! In case anyone was at all interested, the 1.9 AVF and 1.9 AWX are exactly the same. The only difference I could find was the AWX was used with 5 speed manuals and the 228 clutch. The mapping was tuned down to have less torque. That was because of the smaller clutch. The AVF was used with the 6 speeds and the 240 clutch, mapped for more torque as the trans and clutch could handle it.

Last edited:

MILESB

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi, thanks for the reply, awesome. After much more reading, I’m starting to lean towards the 5 speed. After weeks of searching UK, DE for a reasonably priced 6 speeds trans (DQS, FRF), no one wants to ship to Canada. I know Frans would send the conversion kit for 2700us but way outside my budget. Do you know of possible donor car models here in Canada for the parts needed, such as axles, shifter, etc for the 6 speed?
I’ve got a set of petals from a 1.8 wagon plus the 5 speed shifter, so I’m further ahead towards the 5 sp conversion but not totally committed yet.

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Drove a 6 speed on the auto crank for 5 years and no issues. Like QuickTD mentions, don't drive it in too far and you'll be fine.