www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > Non VW Group Diesels

Non VW Group Diesels This section is for discusion of Non VWGroup Diesels.

Old August 30th, 2019, 12:54   #16
turbobrick240
Veteran Member

In Mazda's defense, the premium interior of the CX-5 has received excellent reviews. But I would agree that outside of a small circle of enthusiasts, the Mazda brand doesn't carry the same cachet as a Mercedes or BMW.

Last edited by turbobrick240; August 30th, 2019 at 16:26.
turbobrick240 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2019, 10:26   #17
tikal
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 37 MPG (~ 45% city)

Quote:
Originally Posted by soot1 View Post
Perhaps Mazda sought counsel of the same PR company that assured certain unnamed candidate in the last presidential elections she would win a landslide victory. But seriously, there is very little logic in what Mazda did. People who want diesels are a thrifty bunch. None of them are going to drop 42k for a small SUV. In fact, none of them are going to drop 42k for any vehicle, period. Conversely, those individuals who can afford to spend 42k on a vehicle and want luxury don't give a damn about small SUVs and fuel economy, much less diesels. So, it will be a double-whammy for Mazda : diesel enthusiasts (those Mazda should have targeted) will not be able to afford it, and people who can afford it wouldn't get caught dead in a vehicle like that.
Concur. Somehow you have a feeling, after the VW TDI debacle in 2015, the other auto companies bringing diesel vehicles to the US do not want them to succeed. Like some kind of conspiracy, which I do not believe at all in by the way.
tikal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 3rd, 2019, 10:52   #18
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

My dad believed that GM had a strategy of taking an automotive design concept and executing it so poorly it discredited the concept. Rear engine? Corvair. 4 cylinder engine? Vega. Front wheel drive? Toronado. If you believe in manufacturer's conspiring to make diesels irrelevant, you could blame Mazda for poor packaging and pricing strategy.

However, I think near luxury and diesel is a great combination. My 335d has the comfort and (some) of the features of a luxury car, but still gets FE in the 30s. And my son's Passat SEL TDI has lots of tech and gets 40+. A lot of people may be willing to pay for that if that's what's important to them.
Old September 3rd, 2019, 11:19   #19
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

My SIL has a Mazda 3 Speed (2007?) and he is looking at getting rid of it with about 100k miles. He says it's fun to drive but looks like a pile of doggy droppings. Pieces fall off and tires are expensive. He keeps popping them on the Indiana potholes.

Last edited by kjclow; September 3rd, 2019 at 12:43.
kjclow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old September 15th, 2019, 08:52   #20
03GolfTDI
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjclow View Post
My SIL has a Mazda 3 Speed (2007?) and he is looking at getting rid of it with about 100k miles. He says it's fun to drive but looks like a pile of doggy droppings. Pieces fall off and tires are expensive. He keeps popping them on the Indiana potholes.
Its a ~13 year old Mazda in a rust belt state and is a short tripper car. Mazda has never been known for their corrosion resistance so 13 years is pretty darn good for a Mazda where salt on the roads is a regular affair. I can assure you the majority of any 2007 make/model that has not succumb to rust anywhere in that region is going to look like rubbish and prob have parts falling off.

I have family in Minnesota and go up there regularly. Trust me it hurts me to see what salt does to cars, if I lived up north I don't know if I could ever justify a new car because they just start rotting away the first winter.
'11 Jetta Sportwagen TDI DSG - 48k
Candy White/Beige
03GolfTDI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 06:34   #21
MPLSTDI
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 06 Jetta DSG
Fuel Economy: Max 54, 44 avg

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GolfTDI View Post
Its a ~13 year old Mazda in a rust belt state and is a short tripper car. Mazda has never been known for their corrosion resistance so 13 years is pretty darn good for a Mazda where salt on the roads is a regular affair. I can assure you the majority of any 2007 make/model that has not succumb to rust anywhere in that region is going to look like rubbish and prob have parts falling off.
I have family in Minnesota and go up there regularly. Trust me it hurts me to see what salt does to cars, if I lived up north I don't know if I could ever justify a new car because they just start rotting away the first winter.
You hit the nail square on the head!

The 12 year unlimited rust warranty on my Jetta seems crazy here in Minnesota.
I had wanted a pickup but looking at all the 7-9 year old 40-50K (when new) trucks that look like crap today seems nuts to buy.
I also have just the other impression when I travel, I look at all these nice older cars/trucks that back home would have parts falling off. Doesn't seem fair.
For me the first thing I consider when buying a new car is how rusted the older versions of the same car are and Mazdas are some of the worst.
Old September 16th, 2019, 07:03   #22
IndigoBlueWagon
TDIClub Enthusiast
Principal IDParts
Vendor
w/Business number

Fuel Economy: 50/45/37

Quote:
Originally Posted by 03GolfTDI View Post
if I lived up north I don't know if I could ever justify a new car because they just start rotting away the first winter.
It's not quite that bad. And some VWs have pretty good rust protection. I invoked the rust warranty on IBW at 11 years 10 months, all it needed was a rocker repair on one side, tailgate, and fenders, which were rusted mostly from mudflaps rubbing on them. Now at 17 years old it is still clean. I keep the car inside, and have it washed (with an underside wash) frequently in winter. Good wax job, clear bra. Here we have the double hit of road salt and ocean air. But if you keep after your VW it'll last.

Subarus, on the other hand...
Old Yesterday, 20:53   #23
soot1
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPLSTDI View Post
The 12 year unlimited rust warranty on my Jetta seems crazy here in Minnesota.
I concur. If there is one thing where VW has no equal, it is the incredible attention they pay to rustproofing of anything they make. Even such pillars of quality as Toyota and Honda could certainly learn a thing or two from VW about how to do it right. However, I have the feeling that the other automakers don't follow VW's lead not because they don't know how to do it, but rather, as a part of the "controlled obsolescence" crap. It really isn't a rocket science to galvanize the sheet metal, do a phosphate dip and then spray some wax in all the nooks and crannies after the painting operation is done.
soot1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 05:31   #24
kjclow
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 55 max / 44 avg on beetle ~37 on JSW

Toyota certainly has some things to learn. I'm worried that my daughter's 05 Corolla will start leaking water through the roof any day. She did reach her goal of 200k miles last week, so I guess a little paint and a lot of rust is worth it. If she'd only find a real job, she can get a new(er) car.