www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > Road Trips

Road Trips Discussions about road trips you have made with your TDI.

Old June 18th, 2019, 03:52   #16
meerschm
Veteran Member

The Cabot trail road conditions are not the greatest. worse outside the park. they are working on pavement projects, but not all of it. lots of cracks and bumps, and lots of narrow shoulders with a drop from the pavement.

All the spectacular vistas are on the west side of the route.

We did have some interesting conversations with working lobster boat crews along the east side, but they tell us the season is only two months.

Free advice: it is worth what you pay for it. (sometimes)
meerschm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 6th, 2019, 13:18   #17
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tdijarhead View Post
Knobels, if you have kids along, Gettysburg is amazing, tour the battlefield, go to the Eisenhower farm. Farther north the PA Grand Canyon near Wellsboro.
Wow! I just looked at the PA Grand Canyon. Looks like an old railroad route has been converted to a walking trail.

This would be out of our way, but it will certainly be added to our Buck List for a future adventure!
Old July 7th, 2019, 02:47   #18
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBees View Post
Wow! I just looked at the PA Grand Canyon. Looks like an old railroad route has been converted to a walking trail.

This would be out of our way, but it will certainly be added to our Buck List for a future adventure!

Yes it has, and it is flat and smooth, paved. Popular with walkers, joggers and especially bikers. Our neighbors are often biking on it, Iíve biked and ran it a couple of times Iím not even sure how long it is I think it runs the entire 50 miles or so of the canyon Iíve never had the time to do the entire distance.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2019, 17:49   #19
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Default Departure day, finally

Well, tomorrow is the big day. We'll be heading to New England and on to the Canadian maritime provinces for a two week road trip..

We had planned on heading out on September 4th. Unfortunately, a family member had major brain surgery on that day (all is well). So, we had to stay and take care of things and help out with the grandkids (it was their maternal grandmother who lives in Georgia).

So, one of the blessings of the delayed departure date........... we ain't in Nova Scotia in the aftermath of Dorian the Hurricane! Seems I saw on a ticker bar that 80% of homes and businesses are out of power in Nova Scotia..

Since this is not a VW event in any way, I'll not post any pics until we return.........
Old September 9th, 2019, 03:52   #20
Tdijarhead
Veteran Member

Have a great trip, drive safe, some of the northern areas should have some color started on the trees. Here in northern PA we’re still a couple of weeks away from peak color, it’s just getting started here.
Tdijarhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2019, 17:30   #21
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Day 1 - to Cumberland, Maryland
Day 2 - to Monticello, NY down the road from Woodstock Festival 1969
Day 3 - to Gorham, NH......... Mt Washington tomorrow then on to Bar Harbor, ME. We will be going by Bethel, ME, site of 2013 & 14 TDI Fests
Old September 11th, 2019, 20:41   #22
where2
Veteran Member

Andy, Hope you're enjoying the trip thus far. (even without the VW) I have friends from VA who parked their RV in our "other driveway" at our place in northern Maine today (they texted me a photo at lunch) It certainly made me miss not having time for a vacation this year, and not getting to see northern Maine...

Thanks for the idea for crowd sourcing great sights to see on road trips. My wife and I will have to take in some of these sights suggested by everyone as we make our FL to ME trips. The PA Grand Canyon sounds quite intriguing.
'90 Corrado_G60 Pkg_2 5spd (4 fun) Supercharged and half the fuel economy of a TDI!
where2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2019, 01:35   #23
AndyBees
Veteran Member

Day 4 - Bar Harbor, Maine
Day 5 - Bar Harbor, Maine
Day 6 - Hopewell Rock, New Brunswick
Day 7 - Sydney, Nova Scotia
Day 8 - Sydney to do the Cabot Trail Loop around Cape Breton
Awesome weather so far.....