Bad News for Mpls-St.Paul TDIers

63Ragtop

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 NB GLS, Auto, Red, Black Leather
Tracy 1 Stop, THE source for Premium Gold 50 cetane diesel in the Twin Cities, has been sold to Holiday Stationstores. In 2 weeks, Tracy will close and be converted to a Holiday.

I spoke with owner John Tracy and he expects the Holiday to have one diesel grade which I believe is OTR Premium. This is not a super premium 50 cetane fuel.

So stop in to Tracys in the next 2 weeks, get one last tank of the 'good stuff', and thank John for his quality operation over the years.

msptdi

TDI
2003 Jetta, Black
That is sad. We finally found a wonderful local business with a great product, and now they will be turned into another "Walmart" for fuel. Any suggestions on Koch Gold (or Artic in a few months) near south Minneapolis?

prsa01

Veteran Member
TDI
14 jsw 6m, 96 B4v, miss my a4 :(
Bauer's Texaco at the intersection of excelsior blvd and Baker rd in Minnetonka (1/2 mile west of Hopkins on Excelsior) has Koch gold in the summer and Koch Arctic in the winter.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
Does anybody where to get 50 cetane fuel around eastern part of the metro. I just went to Fleet farm which a Koch gold (45 centane)I was wandering if this is the best fuel in my area?

DeafBug

Gone but Never Forgotten: Requiescat In Pace
TDI
2001 NB
Probably, the best in your area.

Koch about a year and half ago changed the meaning of Koch Gold50. It use to mean 50 cetane rating for sure. Now they say it is at least 42 cetane rating. They dropped the Gold50. They have two Golds now. Koch Gold or Koch Gold Plus. Of course there is always Koch Artic which will soon be available in many stations for the winter. So what you are to do now is start using PowerService additive in every tank to increase the cetane rating and other stuff. White bottle during winter months (or year round) and gray bottle during summer months (never year round)

I still go to Mikes in Minnetonka. I filled up last Saturday and to my surprise, I met the guy working there that I did his timing belt a month ago. He only works Saturdays. When I normally run to Mike's after work. But nice to know.

63Ragtop

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 NB GLS, Auto, Red, Black Leather
Gold Plus (Tracy's) is 47 to 50 cetane. Gold (Fleet Farm etc.) is 42-46 cetane. I think Bauer's sells the lower cetane Gold, not the Gold Plus. A quality fuel but not the same. I haven't been there lately, but my bumper showed soot on Bauer's fuel. My bumper has stayed clean since switching to Tracy's.

tango_28

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 JSW(sold 2011) , 2009 JSW RIP 1-5-2013, 2011 JSW
My 4th tank on the Jetta was at a local hoilday station and got 3mpg less than with Tracy diesel. I did talk to Fleet Farm gas station manager, That their diesel does not go below 43 centane. My car really loves Tracy diesel fuels.