Subwoofer

jason_

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 s wagon dsg
I saw a YouTube of a guy showing some stuff on a mk7 wagon.

Some large goofy thing over spare... Googled it and it's a sub!

Whats it involved to add one with a vehicle that didn't come with it?

Mine is the S trim, if that helps.

Sent from my 2PS64 using Tapatalk

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
The sub mounted in the spare tire is the factory unit that comes with the Fender sound system upgrade. Not sure if the wiring harness is there and, if it isn't, you're probably looking at a big job.

STOKTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf MK7 TDI
I have a stock fender sub setup I was trying to get rid of if you wanted to make it work. Fender sub and the plastic ring enclosure used to hold sub and keep donut down. If there is no harness though, not sure you want to deal with all that.

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
I have the Helix in both my Sportwagen and GTI. Love them. Of course, I got both of mine when they were selling for under $250. I believe they're pushing $500 now. The proverbial "you should have been here yesterday" among fishermen.

Here was a quick vid I shot of my GTI's Helix after install: https://youtu.be/m2MabaALb-A

Last edited:

Blue_Hen_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
owned: 96 B4V, 06 Golf, 12 NMS, 15 GSW
How much difference is there between the Helix and Fender sound? Looks like the drawback is you loose the spare.
The spare is there in my video if you look again. It’s underneath the Helix. You do need to buy a longer plastic screw post for <$20.

Mrrogers1

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 6MT, 2011 Jetta TDI DSG, 2015 Golf Sportwagen S TDI DSG
The spare is there in my video if you look again. It’s underneath the Helix. You do need to buy a longer plastic screw post for <$20.
I really should have bought a Helix when I got my car but I have to admit, the factory setup in the S is not terrible and could be MUCH worse. So I opted for Golf R reps from Ed instead and many other small goodies. Maybe one day I'll catch someone dumping a Helix on Fb or something and I'll scoop one up. :)

bizzle

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SEL (totaled), 2013 Touareg Executive
I have the Fender setup right now but I had the JL Audio Stealth box for my 2012 JSW. I've been thinking about upgrading the Fender system to my JL Audio, but it's also probably more trouble than it's worth given who all rides in the wagon with me.

I'd be willing to sell either to you if interested. I don't know much about the Fender system and getting it to work in your car, but with my JL Audio setup you just need a line out converter. I still have my LOC that was used with the JL Audio.

Regardless, this is what you need at minimum:
LOC to get output from the stock wires to RCA interconnects.
Amp to drive the sub.
Sub.

You may or may not need more to get the Fender system running, although if you bought a LOC and Amp you'd simply bypass the complete stock wiring setup and just hardwire the Fender sub to the amp you have.