Headlight Auto-on Delete with Standard Euro Switch

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
I have an SE Golf with the lighting package (LP) and headlight auto-on. My primary goal is to replace the NA style headlight switch with a euro style in order to run the fogs with the running (parking) lights only, no low beams. I drive a lot in the woods and the LED DRL's are great at making the car visible to others and illuminating reflective signs. The light up dash is also great so I can easily see the gauges. I'm also trying to minimize using the HID to preserve the bulbs (wow they are pricey). So it will be great to have the DLR's with the fogs when I need a little more light up front, but not enough to fire up the HID's.

With that said, I also would like to eliminate the "auto" selection in the headlight switch. I have never used it and never will because I don't want the HID's to fire up when I'm passing through a darkened section of the wooded road. I also find it annoying to have to rotate the switch past the auto position, stop on the running lights, but not go too far and into the low beam position. It would be great to rotate one click and be in the right spot where I want to be. I sometimes mess up at 5:30 AM.

I think my solution is getting the euro style switch that doesn't have the auto position, VW # 5G0-941-431-BF-WZU. I'm pretty sure this will work, but I'm concerned there will be error codes thrown. Has anyone replaced their factory auto switch with the euro style standard? Headlight auto delete?

Deutsche Autoparts said if it doesn't work, they will not give me a refund.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
lemme know what you find cuz i wanna do the same (i did this on my mkvi)... run fogs and parking lights.

btw, i keep my switch on auto all the time

moonlite

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
lemme know what you find cuz i wanna do the same (i did this on my mkvi)... run fogs and parking lights.

btw, i keep my switch on auto all the time
You use the auto setting all the time, so we differ there. I want to downgrade or delete my auto position on the euro switch (I might be crazy though).

You want to get the euro switch with the auto position. That will allow you to run the fogs with parking lights only (no low beams).

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
I recoded my headlights using VCDS so that the fogs act as DRLs, along with the white LED "U" in the main headlight assembly - works great. If I don't want the fogs, I pull out the headlight switch (like normal people would to turn ON the foglight) - but of course, that only works in one of the "on" modes, including AUTO.

I also replaced the standard halogen bulbs in the fog housing with fanless H11 LED bulbs - was worried that I might get a headlight error from not enough current being drawn, but no issues with that.

AGOODHI

Veteran Member
TDI
MKVII GSW, MKVI Golf
I recoded my headlights using VCDS so that the fogs act as DRLs, along with the white LED "U" in the main headlight assembly - works great. If I don't want the fogs, I pull out the headlight switch (like normal people would to turn ON the foglight) - but of course, that only works in one of the "on" modes, including AUTO
so you didn't need to purchase a euro switch to do this?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Nope - haven't done any hardware mods to the car (apart from hitch receiver install).

VCDS / OBDeleven Instructions (courtesy of DV52, who is the master of these things):
INSTRUCTIONS:
Select Central Electrics (address hex09)
Select Security Access
Enter magic number 31347
Select Adaptations
Search for Leuchte12NL LB45 (this is the Leuchte-set for the left-side fog-light)
Select Lichtfunktion B 12
Only if the existing Setting is not active, change to Tagfahrlicht

Search for Leuchte13NL RB5 (this is the Leuchte-set for the right-side fog-light)
Select Lichtfunktion B 13
Only if the existing Setting is not active, change to Tagfahrlicht

And while there, consider the mod (being mindful of headlight laws in your jurisdiction) to keep the "U" lit up (DRLs on) while the signal blinks.

Last edited: