New (used) Suby OB-XT Wagon day!

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Passat TDI GLS Wagon, 5 speed manual
Well, since I am working on getting my B5.5 Passat TDI Wagon, my wife needed something newer too. Here is what we came up with! I must say, it was a blast to drive home from across the state! The gasser turbo motor rips, car feels very solid (it was very well maintained by prior owner), suspension is tight and supple, not locked up, Interior looks and feels great, and it is kinda fun to have the japanese bells and whistles such as a sub woofer under the front seat. ;)

Wifey is very happy! I studied over at Outback.org to learn about this models quirks and am working on handling them proactively.

Overall, I believe I will enjoy the european lines, styling and design of the Passat better overall, as well as the increased mileage, but this car is also pretty nice for what it is. :D

tdidieselbobny

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Galactic Blue Jetta TDI, '15 Silk Blue Golf Sportwagen TDI
Nice! My son loves his WRX(2.0 turbo)-what year is your OB? I was kinda looking trying to find an 04/05 Forester XT-which is the same engine as an STI,just the turbo is a little different IIRC. Only thing I didn't like about the turbo models is the Premium unleaded they need:eek:-about same price as diesel,but only 1/2 the mileage:eek:......

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
This is a 2005. And yes, it can be a thirsty car. But surefooted at least. And fun for my wife to drive!

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
CPO 2013 Passat TDI SEL June 2012 build date Purchased 09/14/14
Been there, done that. If it's got 60K on it, check the struts. Oil changes every 3K, wait until you have to have the spark plugs. I used 2 short extensions and a flex socket. It's a great engine and a hoot to drive in mud and snow.

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
I had (and miss) an 05 Legacy GT 5mt, the lowered version of your OB.

There is a filter screen in line with the turbo oil feed - make sure that has been removed. As above, oil (synthetic) changes very often will keep the engine alive.

If you're looking to mod, an up-pipe, down-pipe and accessport stgII make it rip even better.

I was never able to get mine anywhere north of 23mpg, even when driving easy (which makes the car no fun).

It was the reason I moved over to TDIs :D

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
I had (and miss) an 05 Legacy GT 5mt, the lowered version of your OB.

There is a filter screen in line with the turbo oil feed - make sure that has been removed. As above, oil (synthetic) changes very often will keep the engine alive.
Thanks. I am already on that. I jointed www.subaruoutback.org , and like learning about the Passat B5s here, have studied the OBXT quirks. I am figuring out how This car has had Mobile One oil changes, very regularly. When this car nears its next oil change, (I will do it early) I am going to replace or remove the banjo filter (that inline filter you mention) with a new filter or one of the replacement after market things, after I learn more. I also will switch at that time to Shell Rotella T6 and change regularly with that oil. Until then, I am going to see if the car has any oil consumption using Mobil One, as the suby board reports can happen, and then be able to compare that with the T6.

If you're looking to mod, an up-pipe, down-pipe and accessport stgII make it rip even better.

I was never able to get mine anywhere north of 23mpg, even when driving easy (which makes the car no fun).

It was the reason I moved over to TDIs :D
Good to know. Will consider it. Also looking into the rear suspension and some possible issues there as reported on the board. This car seems just fine stock though. Re: mileage, Prior owner did most of his driving cross country for work, long highway miles, and claimed better mileage figures. He kept the rpms down though. I am betting my wife will not notch such numbers, and when I get a turn to drive, I doubt I will either, as I will want to hear the turbo whirr. :) Subaru supposedly has a turbo diesel version in other markets, but not here. That would be cool. We could have gone non-turbo here and saved some mileage. My wife wanted all wheel drive and the outback or something like the forester or Honda CR-V . But she also wanted manual and the leather interior, and when we drove this very well maintained car, that sealed the deal. She loves it, and so I will live with the difference in fuel cost for now.

Last edited:

deming

Veteran Member
TDI
(2) 2005 TDI Passat Wagons
Please let me know exactly how to remove / replace that inline banjo type filter (screen) that clogs .

We have two Outback XT's. We have a 2005 and 2006 and we use the Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic motor oil.

I need to get those inline Turbo feed filters / screens removed.
Advice or assistance on this procedure would be appreciated.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
I also will switch at that time to Shell Rotella T6 and change regularly with that oil. Until then, I am going to see if the car has any oil consumption using Mobil One, as the suby board reports can happen, and then be able to compare that with the T6.
0My Subie used oil from day one but never excessively. I ran Wally World synthetic and Mobil One for years and never saw any difference. T6 should be fine IMHO.

I averaged 18 -- 21 mpg for 100K miles plus.

The only issues I had with mine was with the A/C compressor replaced at 108K miles and the headlights started filling with rain water after 6 years. Took all day to removed the front bumper and headlights then reseal and polish them. Always used NGK plugs, wires, Subie coolant, differential and tranny fluid had zero issues in some pretty extreme conditions.

Replaced struts and other suspension parts every 50-60K, tires too. Worse tires I every bought on it were Yokohama Geolanders "Geothunkers".

My wife still has her '07 Forester with 60K miles on it. She loves it and hates the new ones.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Please let me know exactly how to remove / replace that inline banjo type filter (screen) that clogs .

We have two Outback XT's. We have a 2005 and 2006 and we use the Shell Rotella T6 full synthetic motor oil.

I have some threads I looked at over at subaruoutback.org. I will post them links here when I have time. does not look like a huge deal, just need the right size sockets, and some time to take some stuff off to get down in there to do the job. Seems like some people just check the stock banjo filter, and clean out or replace if necessary. An inexpensive part. Others use a different oil line that either modifies or does away with the whole thing. As I said, I will find the info and link it to you. So you don't panic, it is also said that if you use good oil, as I know you do, and change regularly, as I know you do, you should be ok. So it is not likely a time bomb in your case, but still something to look at.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
0My Subie used oil from day one but never excessively. I ran Wally World synthetic and Mobil One for years and never saw any difference. T6 should be fine IMHO.
I averaged 18 -- 21 mpg for 100K miles plus.
The only issues I had with mine was with the A/C compressor replaced at 108K miles and the headlights started filling with rain water after 6 years. Took all day to removed the front bumper and headlights then reseal and polish them. Always used NGK plugs, wires, Subie coolant, differential and tranny fluid had zero issues in some pretty extreme conditions.
Replaced struts and other suspension parts every 50-60K, tires too. Worse tires I every bought on it were Yokohama Geolanders "Geothunkers".
My wife still has her '07 Forester with 60K miles on it. She loves it and hates the new ones.
Prior owner said he would use up to but not more than a quart during the entire period between changes, using Mobil One, which seems well within expectations for these cars.

White Passat

Veteran Member
TDI
Prior owner said he would use up to but not more than a quart during the entire period between changes, using Mobil One, which seems well within expectations for these cars.
My engine did the same, never more than a quart every 3K miles. IMHO Subaru TC boxer engines are well built, beautiful machines.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI
Head over to legacygt.com:

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthre...val-61689.html?t=61689&highlight=banjo+filter

There's a thread about it on Nasioc as well, but I try to stay out of that place. :D

Nevermind. Windex already linked a good thread.

sunvalleylaw

Veteran Member
TDI

Here is the good thread I found that links some technical bulletins, some how to's, and some photo series to fully explain the issue. Bottom line, it sounds as though that keeping it stock, but cleaning or replacing the filter is just fine. AND, that problems are not likely if you use good oil and change per recommended intervals. But the only way to check is to check. My prior owner did use good oil, did change regularly, and put on a lot of freeway/highway miles, while seeking to maintain good gas mileage. So I am not expecting to find a problem. But I will definitely check it out to be sure..

http://www.subaruoutback.org/forums...401-buying-used-xt-remove-banjo-filter-2.html