What did you do to your car today?

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Ahhh - that sucks, man. Too bad I didn't know you were tackling this this weekend; I was just in Victoria and could've dropped off my spare oil line so you would've had a backup if needed.
Hate it when a project gets held up by a stupid part not being available.

1.9glstdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 passat waggon BHW PD
^^ someone didn't read the how to. Just giving yea a hard time man. I also mangaled my oil feed line I always order the parts from jegs or summit racing its only 50 bucks.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Ah crap, that would have been awesome, yeah the oil line itsself was frozen stuck on the oil union and even if the "nut" had come off it still would have mangled the line. Should of just bought one instead of trying to save some bucks.

79TA7.6

Veteran Member
Live: Wilbur/Creston; Work: Moses Lake Washington
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta, 2002 TDI Golf, 2005 TDI Golf
Tested out my car jack. Got a flat tire this morning. Large piece of gravel stuck in the tire. I have driven thousands of miles on gravel in various different rigs and never got a flat from a rock. Oh well, guess I see how Costco's hazard policy works.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
Took the summer tires and wheels off the Passat, and put on the new Conti Pure Contacts.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Drove the Golf 240 miles to New Hampshire and back to pick up a transmission for my son's Golf. Speeds varied between 50 and 80, lots of hills, some traffic. My Golf got 52.2 MPG according to the MFI, which is usually within 2 MPG of actual. Not to shabby.

Caddy 16v

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta, 2000 Golf
Finished the 17/22 install in the pouring rain, got some unrelated codes afterwards, probably from jiggling the wires or cranking without the IP plugged in. Cleared them and so far they are gone. Let's see how it drives tomorrow :)

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
Installed my neuspeed discharge pipe today.. What a pain!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It wasn't that bad. Did you take off the inlet pipe for better access?

What's a worse pain is removing the EGR pipe after doing a DPF delete.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MikeS_18

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, '13 Passat SE, '64 Ford Econoline
Just in time snow tire installation. Supposed to start snowing here this morning. Guess I'd better get them on the Passat this am. IBW, you should have dropped by!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Other part of NH. Marlborough. I've seen more of Route 2 in the past few days than I care to.

Snow tires are for the weak. I can't bring myself to put them on before Dec. 1, even though I may drive to Maine tomorrow.

Killabee228

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Sportwagen manual
Well I've never used snow tires before! That means I AM A GOD!! I have been through some crappy winters too.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Picked up my son's car this afternoon. It had a coolant leak, turned out it was the flange on the back of the head and the water pump. Timing belt was wet so it got a new belt kit, water pump, and the flange was resealed. Front crank seal was leaking, so we replaced that, too. And the turbo was leaking a bit around the exhaust gasket, so we tightened that down to see if it helps.

And put a new (used) transmission in the car. We replaced it last summer, but I think a faulty clutch that didn't disengage properly caused the 3rd and 4th gear syncros to fail. It was difficult to shift, and most recently ground gears when shifting into 3rd and 4th. Double clutching helped a bit, but it didn't seem the transmission was long for this world. I found one for pretty short money, so it didn't seem worthwhile to dig into the existing one to fix. I'll add it to my dead transmission collection (now I have four).

And it got the windshield washers fixed and new wiper blades. Snows go on tomorrow, and it gets an alignment Friday.

My wagon may have the cone of unbreakability over it, but the Golf makes up for it.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Rear aero/Euro wiper on the Jetta wagon.
So smoooooth.

Waiting for the rain to subside here a bit to put the snow tires on; I have to venture about 150km inland this weekend, and precipitation predictions are in the 100mm range over the next few days with a big drop in temp (from +8C to -6C) mixed in there somewhere.
I'm brave, but not stupid. :)

zoominMS3

Veteran Member
TDI
MK6 GOLF TDI
It wasn't that bad. Did you take off the inlet pipe for better access?

What's a worse pain is removing the EGR pipe after doing a DPF delete.

Yea I did, just a real tight fit back there.. Plus I didn't have the ideal tools for the job but I made it work.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
Nearly drove it into a pedestrian. Brake booster vacuum hose chose a VERY inopportune moment to fail! Herculean stomping force and unorthodox prayer (which I shall not repeat) just barely got her whoa'ed up.

PeeWee

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon, 97 Passat Sedan
Yesterday my ballasts failed to work no headlights. Today when I moved the car they fired up. Of course I already order replacement ballasts. I did check the fuses and dropped one into the dash so I had to take half the dash apart retrieve the fuse put it back in and reinstalled the dash. Go figure!

Geobmx4life

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Golf Malone tuned VNT 17, FMIC
Digging out after a huge snowfall

After 3 days of heavy snow...thankfully not Buffalo snow...
Easiest way to get the car out to clean the snow off lol

Last edited:

Jbdesigns

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SE 6MT, 2012 Jetta TDI 6mt (sold)
Winter snows put on today for more buffalo snow. The weekend had me fixing the exhaust flapper.

tongsli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI, 2004, Jetta Wagon TDI PD
after pondering how to fix my broken OEM HID adjuster for about a year now, I finally figured something out last night.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=429625

I didn't have the balls to attempt opening them up and was determined to figure out a solution where you didn't have to do such a severe solution to fix things.

I have two sets of lights and Freakwithracket (Jeff) helped me and fixed (1) set. It's a royal PITA and the OEM HID's aren't like the regular stock lights in terms of how they are sealed.

enjoy!

sprinks

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 jetta tdi (gone); now mk7 gti
Past 72 hours:
cosmetic:
installed deAutokey amber leds in clear side markers
installed deAutokey LED trunk strip (holy **** this lights up the trunk. Pictures forthcoming in picture thread)
brushed stainless seat lift wrench covers (looks much better than blank plastic)
mechanical:
Developed what sounded like a boost leak above 2k rpm in the higher gears. Chalked it up to an improper install of turbo discharge pipe. A little research, sure enough i had managed to install an 09 turbo discharge pipe onto my '10 turbo outlet. Rather poorly, i might add.
gutted my old turbo dampener, pulled the now diagnosed as wrong turbo discharge pipe, swapped and reassembled over the course of a long lunch break. drove it around town for warm up and preliminary testing. All good, no more boost leak or power loss above 2k.

Last edited: