MN Chat Thread

haakonpe

TDI
1999 Golf
Early this spring I went to roll my drivers window down and I heard a pop sound and just the motor running. When I rolled it up, it popped back into place. This happened a few times after that - even when it was not freezing. So I ordered a new regulator from IDParts and went to put it in last Saturday.

After I finally got the old one out - darn door handle cable - I opened up the box containing the replacement. At this point I say to myself "Hmmm this looks like a lot of retrofit - why don't I take a real close look at the old one before I go too far" Upon close inspection, there was nothing wrong with the old one. All I needed to do was to clean off and re-clamp the window.

Just thought I'd share in the event something like this happens to anyone else.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Hello all. Apologies to everyone who has tried to contact for the past month. I was in China and apparently tdiclub blocks all IP's from there (at least the 6 or 7 that i tried). I'll shoot back responses as soon as I can. Thanks for understanding.

haakonpe

TDI
1999 Golf
Tip: Actuator clip installation

I finally got to cleaning up my turbo vanes this morning. My biggest fear was loosing the e-clip that connects the actuator to the turbo. It's darn small, and could loose it really easily.

So I got to thinking about it, and this is what I came up with:
Tie about a foot and a half of fishing line to the clip, and tie the other end to a nut or washer. When you install it, you now have a bit of a handle so to speak, and if it springs out for some reason, it won't go too far. After it's installed, just cut the line.

When I replaced the actuator last year, I lost one clip and spend over 45 minutes trying to find the second one. This time, it only took about 3 minutes in total.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
'06 Golf GLS, '01 Dodge/Cummins
Tip: Actuator clip installation

I finally got to cleaning up my turbo vanes this morning. My biggest fear was loosing the e-clip that connects the actuator to the turbo. It's darn small, and could loose it really easily.
That's a good tip. I took a different approach by unbolting the actuator (PITA to get the little bolts back in) My vanes were definitely sticking but I also seem to have a dead N75. :(

tab2

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
Does anyone in the twin cities have a vag com for sale? If not, can I borrow (Rent) it or pay you to drop over to run it?
My son's Golf 2.0 gasser is shuttering terribly - I suspect it is the coil pack but I dont want to drive it to the local shop to even get a code read - the CEL is flashing. Guess I need to step up and buy the vag and share locally also but I need it in the next day or so or I send her in to get looked at (He is heading to the AF Base in Washington next week and we cant let him drive it out like this..)

Thanks
Bob

B.Reilly01

TDI
2000 New Beetle TDI
Does anyone in the twin cities have a vag com for sale? If not, can I borrow (Rent) it or pay you to drop over to run it?
My son's Golf 2.0 gasser is shuttering terribly - I suspect it is the coil pack but I dont want to drive it to the local shop to even get a code read - the CEL is flashing. Guess I need to step up and buy the vag and share locally also but I need it in the next day or so or I send her in to get looked at (He is heading to the AF Base in Washington next week and we cant let him drive it out like this..)

Thanks
Bob
I have a knockoff you can borrow. It gets me enough on my Beetle, but it is a knockoff and I run vcds lite. I live in eden Prairie and commute to Plymouth daily.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using Tapatalk

tab2

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I have a knockoff you can borrow. It gets me enough on my Beetle, but it is a knockoff and I run vcds lite. I live in eden Prairie and commute to Plymouth daily.

Thank you sir. I have never run the Vag software but assume for reading codes it cannot be too bad..
I sent a PM to you..

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH

Thanks
Bob
Unplug one coil pack at a time, when one doesn't change the shudder you've found your dead cylinder.

tab2

TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I thought about that also but was hoping to see the code before doing it.. A little history.
Kid is heading to the Airbase for 3 months - all of a sudden, starting to heat up..
A little diagnostics it looks like a Water pump -- so , we proceed to R&R the pump, Timing belt and thermostat. Replace coolant (50%) and it appears to have a vapor lock (I don't see a bleed for this car? - similar to my TDi but still different)
Start it tonight (After that hard rain) and we make it 1000 yards and it starts to shudder, CEL is flashing.. I freak thinking what did I do to his car - Timing belt off a couple of teeth or worse? After 20 minutes, I go and start it - CEL is solid now?
He tell s me - this has happened three times - once during a hard snow (Girlfriend driving it while in basic training so who knows the details), Another time while under stress (up hill) and tonight.
The odd part is it was smoking (and has not done it in the past)
I would hope it is the coil pack but am being a nervous nelly and as much as I love the good folks at good carma, the kid is flat broke (I will cover it if I have to)...

Last edited:

renegade211

TDI
1996 b4v
Greetings all
Just picked up my first tdi a month ago and wanted to say hi to everyone.
My tdi is a 96 b4v with 338k. Its rusty but hoping to get it roadworthy soon.
I need a bentley in a bad way if anyone has one for sale.
Thanks,
Jeremy

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
The Bentley you need is a Bentley service manual.

The Bentley I need is a Continental GT with a 12-cylinder Lamborghini engine. (I'll settle for the 6-liter V8, though.)

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
For the longest time I thought the "bentley" stuff was a word filter for "service manual" or maybe "chilton" or something.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
I need help diagnosing a vacuum problem. I'm getting no vacuum to my boost actuator but I do get 27" hg at idle measured with a "T" in the reservoir line. Sucking on the actuator line with my Mityvac, the lever starts moving at 6" & reaches full at 18". I know it should start at around 3". I'm getting no boost at all or perhaps 1/2 lb at best on my mechanical boost gauge. Strangely I get 7 tp 12 lb on my Scan guage but that seems unrelated to engine speed or load. It randomly jumps around some but mostly is steady. Any ideas? I've done an oven cleaner job on the vnt & I've replaced the N75.

B.Reilly01

TDI
2000 New Beetle TDI
Hook up the mityvac to the inlet of the n75 and start the car. What vac do you get there? You replaced the n75, are the houses in the right order? Do you have access to a vcds or vcds lite? What is the n75 duty cycle when limp mode is cleared?

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
Hook up the mityvac to the inlet of the n75 and start the car. What vac do you get there? You replaced the n75, are the houses in the right order? Do you have access to a vcds or vcds lite? What is the n75 duty cycle when limp mode is cleared?

It instantly goes to 23" & quickly builds to 27. I do have VSDS. There is no limp mode happening. No codes at all.

B.Reilly01

TDI
2000 New Beetle TDI
What's the N75 duty cycle look like in measuring block 011? I'm assuming you've also measured vac post N75, did you have any? If you get no vac after N75, AND the computer is commanding N75 to move, and you have vacuum before N75, then you have a bad N75 or you have bad wiring to N75. Try swapping the N18 (EGR vac solenoid) and N75 and see if it improves. Maybe you can record the 011 measuring block and post the graph?

EDIT: Just noticed you have an 06, PD? Everything above relates to ALH, and may or may not apply to a PD. You should have actuator position feedback. VCDS info would be really helpful.

Last edited:

B.Reilly01

TDI
2000 New Beetle TDI
New doesn't mean good. Some old timers refer to New as Never Even Worked. Test the electrical and see what the ecu is telling it to do, then double check your hose connections. Getting two hoses crossed would do this too.

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
New doesn't mean good. Some old timers refer to New as Never Even Worked. Test the electrical and see what the ecu is telling it to do, then double check your hose connections. Getting two hoses crossed would do this too.

I ran the VCDS on block 11 & the ECU thinks I have Almost 3 bar of boost at idle. I suspect a faulty MAP sensor. I have a new one but I find getting to it a challenge. I wish I had 1/2 the wrenching skills of greengeeker but I'll get it done. Is removing the bumper really the easiest way to get at it? :confused:

darkhorse

Veteran Member
TDI
Hi Richard, yes bumper removal is the easiest. Even with that it might take you a half hour total to r&r your map sensor.
Nick, you over estimate my wrenching skills. I'll get it but it will take more than 1/2 an hour. I've already spent more time than that removing the washer bottle & re reading my Bentley manual. :eek: I'll pull the bumper tomorrow.

haakonpe

TDI
1999 Golf
I'd been having intermittent starting issues for several months now. Typically all I had to do was wait for 5 or 10 minutes and it would start right up. Well, my car finally failed to start this morning. <sigh>

I tried it again tonight when I came home from work, and it still didn't start. --Umm, this was new.

After a quick search on the ol TDI forum, I figured I'd give the 109 relay a shot.

Called the dealer - $46, Called NAPA - $18.

Took 2 minutes to swap it out, and Bingo! It fired right up.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I'd been having intermittent starting issues for several months now. Typically all I had to do was wait for 5 or 10 minutes and it would start right up. Well, my car finally failed to start this morning. <sigh>

I tried it again tonight when I came home from work, and it still didn't start. --Umm, this was new.

After a quick search on the ol TDI forum, I figured I'd give the 109 relay a shot.

Called the dealer - $46, Called NAPA - $18.

Took 2 minutes to swap it out, and Bingo! It fired right up.
Good to hear!

Stan TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 1997 1Z (RIP), 2002 Jetta GLS, 2002 Jetta GLS, 2006 Jetta Pkg 1
Not necessarily. But as many of us know, there is lots of bad fuel out there. I was specifically looking to see if they sell the Gold Plus retail anywhere. Here is their response. Lucky for me, one of the 5 locations is 3.3 miles from my house. I know I will go there from now on. Everyone else can make their own choices. :)
"We do not sell Gold Plus exclusively at any of our locations. Our fuel in the winter is generally seeing a typical 45-47 cetane number. The Gold Plus is definitely a few numbers higher – a great product. In the summer, we sell #2 diesel with 20% biodiesel, which inherently has higher cetane. This B20 blend will typically result in cetane ratings above 45, sometimes in the 50 range. Again, it is all dependent on the cetane of the base stock of fuel and biodiesel. In the summer, we use ECOCLEAN, which is the top detergent-based diesel additive available, built by Innospec."
Update, Yocum apparently sold their Holiday stores. So likely no difference in fuel at these locations compared to other Holiday's. Back to the QuikTrip truck stop for me.