Picked up 2012 Sportwagon for the wife

grwoolf

TDI
2012 JSW
Just got it yesterday. Silver DSG, no other options except the rubber mats.

Thanks to all that contribute on this forum, it was very helpful in our decision making process (even all the nightmare HPFP stories). I'm a do-it-yourself kind of guy, so I'm sure I'll be using this site quite a bit in the future (hopefully just the regular maintenance).

Overall, very pleased with the choice. We were also considering a Prius, Focus, Mazda3, and Honda Civic. The Prius was a clear winner in reliability and mixed MPH, but it was just completely un-inspiring, pretty ugly, and my wife didn't like all the blind spots. She wanted something a little sporty coming from her Honda Van and the JSW seemed to fit the bill while still having good utility.

A couple early observations:

Love the diesel. Wife loves having a zippy car again (I know, zippy is relative, but she's been driving mini vans for over 10 years).

I like the DSG more than I expected. I was really debating between the manual and DSG and the wife didn't care. Seems to go from a stop better than the one we test drove. I hope it's reliable.

AC works really, really well. The car we test drove had a sunroof and was never able to cool the car down on a sunny day with the shade closed with max AC. We were concerned about that (live in TX). Without the sunroof, our car cooled down quickly despite being about 110f today and yesterday. I would not get the Pano sunroof on one of these cars without a solid heat shield in a hot/sunny climate.

There is an utter lack of storage space. I'll need to do that dash cubby mod for her at some point.

One other suprise in reading the warranty - the 5/60 drivetrain warranty does not cover the fuel system (which I sort of assumed it would). I have been reading about the dreaded HPFP problems and sure hope this isn't an ongoing issue. It also doesn't look like it covers the e-box on the tranny, but not positive on that.

We're taking a bit of shot on VW after owning 5 Hondas and a couple ford and Chevy trucks with virtually no issues over the last 15-20 years. It seems some VW owners expect there to be issues, but I don't have much patience for things outside scheduled maintenance. I'm optimistic it will be a good reliable car. If not, I'll sell it.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Congrats, and may it be a reliable car for you.

I don't really feel that the JSW is lacking in storage space, but I'm used to cars, not minivans. :) My JSW has pockets in all 4 doors, a good-sized glovebox, a cubby in front of the shifter, and a decent cubby under the armrest. (those who go the MDI don't have much storage under the armrest....the kit deletes most of it) There's a pocket alongside the cargo area for storing my fuel additive, and compartments under the cargo floor.

You might consider these under-seat drawers, too...and they happen to be on sale:

http://oemplus.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=75_108_110&products_id=279

Last edited:

IMAAaron

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW - Third time's a charm
I'm with you on the outside-scheduled-maintenance thing. Some things you just have to see for yourself, I suppose. Good luck.

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
Congrats! I drove all the usual suspects you mentioned above. The were underwhelming choices. My wife couldn't really get behind any of them either. TDI's are more expensive, but the efficiency, utility, longevity (sans HPFP failure), and ride quality are the value proposition for these cars.

I'm struggling (as an engineer) to understand the HPFP issue. VW is tweaking the fuel system to eliminate points of failure. I suspect re-plumbing the fuel filter on the MY2012 will help.

If you get time, pop the hood, lift off the engine shroud (4 ball and socket joints one at each corner). I'm interested to know if the HPFP body return has been separated from the injector and fuel pressure regulator returns. The two purple connections in the upper right connect to the CR fuel pressure regulator and the injector leak off line.

Fordcougar

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW DSG (SOLD)
grwoolf, congrats. Oh and i see you met IMAAaron, he hates VW so much he got a second one, and sits here daily to welcome new owners.

I do think storage is questionable, but then I compare it to my other car, and all I have there is door pockets, so I guess I get plenty with the JSW. I think I just have issue with the 12v power socket up front, it'd be nicer if it weren't vertical. can't close the cubby when in use, and wires always lays there.
Enjoy.

Past_VNE

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta GLS 5-spd, '12 JSW 6M
Welcome to the '12JSW Club. I think there are three of us now. ;-)

The bigger kids play nicely with us pups though.

I didn't think the JSW woul be big enough. So I test drove everything available that met similar criteria. Underwhelmed is The PERFECT term. I'm sooo glad I stopped in a dealer one day and happened to play with a JSW. I'm in love. It's everything I love about my 2001 Jetta sedan...with a million perks above it.

grwoolf

TDI
2012 JSW
If you get time, pop the hood, lift off the engine shroud (4 ball and socket joints one at each corner). I'm interested to know if the HPFP body return has been separated from the injector and fuel pressure regulator returns. The two purple connections in the upper right connect to the CR fuel pressure regulator and the injector leak off line.
I'll try to take a look/pic tonight.

grwoolf

TDI
2012 JSW

I looked and there is still a common return, same as the picture from past vne. I don't see anything different from your picture (assuming I'm looking at the right things).

dmarsingill

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sportwagen Turned in , 2000 Z3 Coupe, 2003 Ford Expedition
We went from doing our travelling in an Expedition, to the JSW. We made it work. We pack more carefully. We kept the Expedition just in case of needing the 3rd row and for towing. I drive it about every 2 weeks to keep it exercized. Living in the 5th hottest state....we haven't had a problem with the a/c(black interior, with sunroof) We hit 100 a few times and it cooled off pretty quick.

Donald

specsalot

Veteran Member
TDI
Currently none
I looked and there is still a common return, same as the picture from past vne. I don't see anything different from your picture (assuming I'm looking at the right things).
Thanks for taking the time to snap and post. I concur with your observations. Your system looks exactly the same as the MY2011. Here is snip from a picture of a fuel filter on a Passat TDI that was on display at the Chicago Auto Show. It's only got three hoses and the Aux Fuel Pump does not appear to be present.

frugality

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none, 2016 GTI
Do you know if the under-seat drawer for the passenger side will interfere with the phone equipment?
I think they do.....I was trying to find a certain picture I'd seen that gave a decent shot of the installed drawer....it was a driver's side shot, but it showed that the drawer was fairly high above the seat tracks....but I can't seem to remember which site had that picture. I was thinking the same thing as I saw that picture..."wonder if it clears the bluetooth module on the passenger side..."

The bluetooth module was standard on all 2010 JSW's, and is probably true for other years. If the vendors sell them for all JSW's without some sort of note that they don't fit with the syrofoam-encased bluetooth module, I think we're good.

Since this is a European item, and they often get the goodies that we don't get, the drawer is probably designed to work with all the goodies like bluetooth module.

Buy one and install it for us to make sure, though. :)

ToeBall

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 VW Jetta Wagon TDI
They do clear the BT module/dynaudio amp, which is why I haven't bought a set. They'd reduce available space under the seats, since I don't have either of these modules in my car.