ABS front right ABS sensor

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
ABS light in my 99 jetta 1.9 has been intermittently coming on and off. Finally had it scanned with VAG-com and the tech told me right front wheel speed sensor is throwing the code. Problem is I just got down replacing the hub assembly and wheel speed sensor with parts from fixmyvw.com

Told the tech that and he said it was most likely a cheap wheel speed sensor I put in and nothing compares to the OE kind.

Is this true, about ready to order a new ATE wheel speed sensor from IDparts for $70 but wanted to put the feelers out for ideas before I place the order. Do the connectors go bad?

Note - I did put dielectric grease on the connector at the hub and ABS unit. I have not really inspected the wiring yet but will do so.

compu_85

Gadget Guy
TDI
... None :S
$70 for the sensor isn't terrible.

To see if the sensor is a problem get an oscilloscope and compare the output of the OE and aftermarket sensor.

You can check the sensor to see if it's open circuit with a simple meter.

-J

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
So tech told me the right front wheel speed sensor is going into open circuit which is why he believed it to be the sensor and not the transducer ring.

I guess I will order this one up then, fixmyvw has the sensors for $15.00 which is probably cheap over seas kind. hence why it dont last. almost temped to order the left hand side too before that one gives me trouble down the road.

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
lol, as I hit the order button on IDparts for $72.00 I had the idea of simply putting the original wheel speed sensor back on.

Oh well, I guess I will do that tonight and see if that solves the problem while I wait for the new ATE sensor to arrive.

doh!

Rembrant

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Same code showed up on my Golf just last week. It returns instantly after being cleared.

1 Fault Found:

00285 - ABS Wheel Speed Sensor; Front Right (G45)
012 - Electrical Fault in Circuit

I haven't looked into it any further yet. The car is parked for a while, so it's low priority.

turbovan+tdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI 2.0L ALH, auto, silver wagon, lowered, Colt stage 2 cam, ported head,205 injectors, 1756 turbo, Malone 2.0, 3" exhaust, 18" BBS RC GLI rims. 2004 blue GSW TDI, 5 speed, lowered, GLI BBS wheels painted black, Malone stage 2, Aerotur
Bet the wires broken. Also, unless you used longer than stock lug nuts, it won't be the reluctor wheel unless it got damaged if you or someone changed the wheel bearing.

fruitcakesa

Top Post Dawg
TDI
04 jetta 5 spd wagon
I have spliced, soldered and shrink wrapped broken wheel sensor wires that have held for years.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Good point, you need good metal to metal on all these little connectors. Dielectric Silicon is an insulator. It does keep stuff from getting into the connection, also keeps signal from escaping or accidental ground. First bought the stuff 40+ years ago, it was for spark plug connectors. Never really was intended for small, low volt connections, but it seems to help in some cases.

brian_e

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Silver Jetta
Agreed on all counts. I use the cheap sensors as well. Any issues I had were always related to damaged wires and connectors. I always used VCDS to look at the wheel speed readings to identify where the issue was.

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
It was the wheel speed sensor.

IDparts $70 sensor fixed the problem.

Lesson learned, do not buy $15 wheel speed sensors.

richmondvatdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat Wagon 5-speed,2003 Jetta GL Wagon, 2003 Jetta GLS Wagon, 2013 CC 2.0T
I had the exact same (electrical fault) code on my left front. Cleared codes. Swapped L and R. Code came back immediately showing left front again, indicating sensor was fine but wiring was not. Replaced harness and put the sensors back where they belonged. No codes.

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
No the fixmy was the cheap $15 sensor that would intermittenly short out and throw the ABS code.

I bought a $70 one from IDparts and that has fixed the problem.

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
My abs light came on a couple of months ago, really getting tired of this!!!!

So I finally bought the VCDS from IDparts and hooked in today.

Front left wheel speed error code. I cleared the code and the ABS light went off.

Then I graphed all four wheel speed sensors and the front left was not tracking the other 3.

Interesting that this front left wheel speed sensor is the only cheap ($15) sensor left on the car.

All other sensors are the OEM $70 ones from ID parts.

I will be ordering a new $70 OE for the front left from ID parts and hopefully put this issue to bed.

The red line is the front right, notice how it is not tracking the other sensor and how it actually blips out for a second.

scha0786

Veteran Member
TDI
99 TDI A4
FYI the new wheel speed sensor fixed my ABS issue and no more codes after 1500 miles of driving.

woo hoo!