Imported TDI's and 'dieselgate'

andrewface

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
I got a call from the claims administrator saying they could process my claim as part of the pilot program if I paid off the balance of my loan and faxed them a copy of the lien release. I have done this and am now waiting for them to contact me.

norcorider

TDI
2013 Passat TDI (Buyback completed Dec 21st)
I uploaded my signed and notarized offer letter after coming back from work and got another email from Claims Admin to schedule buyback appointment. That was pretty quick.
However I cant select a Canadian dealer as the portal only allows US zip codes. I will call settlement CSR tomorrow to clarify it.

843tdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Audi A3 Premium Plus, 2015 Passat SE Tdi
Wow this thread is huge. I have a question I hope someone can answer. So long story short I bought a used tdi a while ago the car fax stated the car was original shipped into NY but then basically dissapears on car fax and reappears in the states 25,000 miles later in Wisconsin when I put it in the US VW site it says the car is eligible but I have a feeling the car was registered in Canada at one point and brought back into the states. If the US site is excepting the car as eligible should I be ok filing a claim in the US? From what I saw it sounds like if it wasn't it wouldn't except the car on the US site and I would have to put it in the Canadian site.

gerpeters

TDI
2002 Jetta TDI and 2003 Jetta TDI
Was the car registered in the US on September of 2015? If you have a US title at the moment And you live in the US I don't see any problem for you to return the car in the US

duratitus

Veteran Member
TDI
Several different models. Selling them back to VW
I believe all cars that were originally sold to the US market are eligible for the US settlement.

benficais

TDI
jetta 2009
Please let's not all call or email Luigi. It will just annoy him and it will not speed up anything. They are doing their best and it is just a matter of patience and waiting for a bit longer.
I'm happy to continue engaging with Luigi and will post any updates I hear from him.

Gerpeters, has Luigi from VW Canada contacted you in the last month with an update?

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
Yes I contacted Luigi last week. We should be hearing from them soon. They are diligently working at it but it's taking its time considering that it is completely manual process

Diligent is not the word I would select for this matter! It's almost been 8 months since we had word that our cars were now going to be accepted back to the States with very little information directly from the mother ship. We have only been given snippets of info and hearsay from other member of this forum and a Facebook group I also belong to. Had it not been for these groups I might as well have been in a cave on mars! VWoA and Canada have added no additional information other than "we are working on it and you will be advised by email"

In all honesty I am beyond pissed at this time and will soon be contacting a lawyer as I have purchased a car back in April and would like the cash back that I have lost in insurance, registration and currency exchange.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

PutItInH

TDI
2010 JSW (US Spec) MT
In all honesty I am beyond pissed at this time and will soon be contacting a lawyer as I have purchased a car back in April and would like the cash back that I have lost in insurance, registration and currency exchange.
Hear! Hear!

We've all been stuck with cars we can't sell for 2+ years due to Volkswagen's illegal acts. So many people have been stuck paying loans on two cars because their life circumstances changed, waiting patiently as VW dangled a settlement in front of our noses.

Volkswagen chose to make this a time consuming manual process by intentionally knowingly excluding us from both settlements. Then realizing the Ontario judge wouldn't accept the settlement without a solution for us, got together on a conference call and agreed to something without knowing how they would deliver it. I'll speculate the call went like this:

VW Canada Exec: "This Judge Belobaba customer first bull**** again. Importers are not our customers, which is why we left them out in the first place."
VW USA Exec: "We have their money. They won't be repeat customers. WINNING! USA! USA!"
VW Canada Exec: "But the judge is going to screw us, and Dad (Wolfsburg) will be pissed at us both!"
VW USA Exec: "Fine. It's <1% of the container ship full of Euros head office gave us. Once we're both done with our real customers, we'll figure this out. Deal?"
VW Canada Exec: "Deal."

That's a dramatization, but they fully intended to screw us. Judge Belobaba's skepticism, and the good people who objected to the settlements, wrote letters, attended court proceedings are the reason they're supposedly "working hard on solution" for us.

andrewface

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen
Hope my car still runs by the time they complete their review of 4 standard documents that were uploaded in May.

I think we should all gang up on twitter. I just tweeted them my handle is the same as my username here.

Last edited:

andrewface

TDI
2010 Jetta Sportwagen

These are all very good points

benficais

TDI
jetta 2009
Attempts in the last month:

- Contacted VW Canada yesterday and got nowhere
- Chated online on VWGOA yesterday and all I got was they are aware about the situation and are working on it and there is no ETA and that they would email me if a resolution comes up.
- Tried twitting on twitter twice @VW @VWCARES @VWCANADA @VWCANADATDI but no response
- Tried e-mailing Luigi once but no response. Gerpeters, is in contact with him now
- Went into Budds VW on the weekend to see if I can trade in the Car for another but they won't do nothing

I have to agree with Airbus320 if it were not for this forum I would know nothing...

In the end VW is a public company that only cares about profit and they cheated, got caught and took care of the majority of the people. They know the rest of us don't have the money to get a lawyer and fight or can't be bothered too. If they wanted to and actually cared they would just buy back the remaining cars no questions asked and deal with it on their end without all the 'BS'...

loujet

Veteran Member
Airbus320, I second you, think lawyers must be involved. Also, the firm that does the Claim Supervisor Report, are we able to complain direct to them so that our situation reports clearly in the next monitoring report (next november 25th)?

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
We can whin and cry all day long which will not speed up anything. Patients patients!!

Yes but only if we whine and cry to ourselves, this needs to be taken up with the lawyers as it is getting unacceptable.

April = excitement, May/June = optimistic, July/Aug = patience, Sept/Oct = cautiously optimistic and Nov = frustrated/annoyed

As you can see I have past the patience part and am on the verge of frustrated and annoyed!

Most of this is due to a lack of information on VW part, when I have an ongoing delay I make announcements every 10 min or so, when my passengers get of the plane at the destination they aren't pissed because we are late they are more or less happy because I kept them in the loop about what was going on and how much longer we could expect to wait.

We have absolutely no information to go on therefor I am getting a bit testy.

greebo

TDI
2013 Jetta Sportwagen
I wonder if we could get access to the Canadian dealer exchange offer. At 2015 clam prices plus the exchange, you can get a pretty decent car if you save the GST and PST.

benficais

TDI
jetta 2009
Yes but only if we whine and cry to ourselves, this needs to be taken up with the lawyers as it is getting unacceptable.
April = excitement, May/June = optimistic, July/Aug = patience, Sept/Oct = cautiously optimistic and Nov = frustrated/annoyed
As you can see I have past the patience part and am on the verge of frustrated and annoyed!
Most of this is due to a lack of information on VW part, when I have an ongoing delay I make announcements every 10 min or so, when my passengers get of the plane at the destination they aren't pissed because we are late they are more or less happy because I kept them in the loop about what was going on and how much longer we could expect to wait.
We have absolutely no information to go on therefor I am getting a bit testy.
I agree with Airbus; unfortunately, I am already fed up with VW.
The reality is being patient or complaining has gotten us all nowhere. VW, has made no effort to contact and provide any information to anybody who has a imported/exported TDI not eligible for either settlement. That is not acceptable. So in the end myself and others have no idea if they should park their car or keep driving and throwing money at a car that is essentially worthless on paper.
Airbus, I am with you on getting a lawyer to try and get the ball rolling if nothing happens soon. If there are others on here interested as well we can all get together on this.

gerpeters

TDI
VW has until Sept 2018 to complete the claim process. They are still well within the legal settlement requirements.

I'm all for pushing them to get it done and I like my car to be gove but at this point, we can't do much than just wait

loujet

Veteran Member
I am in for the lawyer, how do you see this?

I also tried (e-mail and phone) to talk to Ankura consulting (third party that reports claim progress to the US Court) about this, so that we are not swept under the rug in their reporting.

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
VW has until Sept 2018 to complete the claim process. They are still well within the legal settlement requirements.

I'm all for pushing them to get it done and I like my car to be gove but at this point, we can't do much than just wait

gerpeters, we the people have till 2018 to get this done, VW has a timeline to hold to when we input our claim (about 30 days till offer) Now we are in a bit of a different situation and I can understand that but we are now a year into the claim process for the US and 7 months since they have said Canadian owners will be accepted. So by my count they have passed the timeline plus some.

I have tried calling a few different lawyers in NY and CA but no returned calls yet.

Stay tuned.

PutItInH

TDI
2010 JSW (US Spec) MT
I am in for the lawyer, how do you see this?
I also tried (e-mail and phone) to talk to Ankura consulting (third party that reports claim progress to the US Court) about this, so that we are not swept under the rug in their reporting.
We're not under the rug. Check the most recent "Supervisor Report" on the US settlement site, there's ~750 people in our situation who've registered a claim thus far, and it mentions some of the issues VW has had to work through. Unfortunately, they don't have a timeline to report either.

gerpeters

TDI
I'd say good luck in finding a lawyer who will take this on. Lawyers are in it to make money by billing for the hours of work. Unless you have the means to pay a lawyer 100 + per hour and hope that will get you anywhere I would not count on it.
Believe me I would like this to be over already but right now all we can do is wait

turbowhistle

TDI
2011 JSW Pano White Corn Silk Beige 6MT
Latest from VW Claims

Latest from claimsvwgoa.com chat today:

"I'd be happy to give you an update. As of yet we have not been approved to move forward with the Canadian claims. We will notify you once we are able to move forward and validate your documents"

"All of the US vins registered in Canada are currently on hold until we can work out the logistics of the process. I do not have an accurate timeline but we are close to finalizing everything."

Colour me skeptical as to the accuracy of that last sentence

Caolissifiarge

TDI
Golf 2011
Hey,

FYI all:
I got news from them on Friday, by email:
VWGoA Online Claims Portal - Settlement Package Available
I'm in Quebec, Longueuil. And submitted an application on the US website quite a while back.

I sent them back a scanned form, telling them I'm switching from modification to buyback. I'll let you know if it moves again!

Best of luck everybody.
And TY for updating us here in the past!

gerpeters

TDI
The claims for Canadian owners with US VIN are proceeding now.

A lot of patients is paying off :)

It is happening. I'm now are step 13 of 15 with green check marks. I just got this email:
We have reviewed the documents you submitted as part of your claim with reference number ######. Currently, your application appears to contain all of the necessary documentation to determine your eligibility.
Next, your document package will be re-reviewed by the Court appointed Claims Supervisor to ensure completeness. If your document package is confirmed to be complete, we will proceed to determine your eligibility and will inform you whether you are eligible to participate in the Diesel Emissions Settlement Program.
Please click on the links below to view the processes for different remedy types:
- Process Overview Buyback or Early Lease Termination
- Process Overview Approved Emissions Modification

INowHateVW

TDI
2012 Jetta
I too have had my documents reviewed - all have a green check except my ID, which is now expired (but obviously wasn't when it was originally submitted many moons ago...) I've now re-submitted a recent ID - fingers crossed!

Airbus320

TDI
2010 Jetta TDI
The claims for Canadian owners with US VIN are proceeding now.

A lot of patients is paying off :)

It is happening. I'm now are step 13 of 15 with green check marks. I just got this email:

We have reviewed the documents you submitted as part of your claim with reference number ######. Currently, your application appears to contain all of the necessary documentation to determine your eligibility.

Next, your document package will be re-reviewed by the Court appointed Claims Supervisor to ensure completeness. If your document package is confirmed to be complete, we will proceed to determine your eligibility and will inform you whether you are eligible to participate in the Diesel Emissions Settlement Program.

Please click on the links below to view the processes for different remedy types:

- Process Overview Buyback or Early Lease Termination

- Process Overview Approved Emissions Modification

Just got the same note last night, I'm now only at DEFCON 4 we'll see how it goes.

Caolissifiarge

TDI
Golf 2011
So my submitted file didn't work. They want only one file, and the website doesn't accept ZIP file types. So I put PDF pages into OneNote, copied that image into paint, and created one big image off of all the pages. They didn't like that.

Trying the "Fax each individual pages and put a"Attention to: Claim Department" and my Claim #, as a scotch-taped paper on the side" approach now. We'll see if that works!