Start car without pushing the clutch in mod!!!!!!!

blueboy7

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta PD BEW 5M
Been wanting to do this to my 04 Jetta ever since I got it in 9-2014.
I thought for sure the ECU would have a fit. Guess I just got used to it.
Next on the list, disable the clutch switch!

As mentioned before with all the safety features these days people are getting more and more stupid!! :mad: And now they can't drive in winter without a 1/2" layer of salt on the road!!:mad::mad:

You can't even buy a new truck with a standard transmission. I wanted a standard in my brand new 07 Silverado but had to settle for a crappy automatic. I hate it!!

Wallace

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 quattro.
Does anyone have a decent diagram of the clutch pedal and switches? I had a look at mine today and from what I am seeing in the online manuals I may have Knee airbags, so they are directly above my feet, I could feel around the pedal but couldn't actually see anything. I wondered if I should lower the plastics at the bottom of the dashboard and get in that way but got side tracked then to other things.

Hall sensor is that the other switch on the pedal or is that the one I am looking for? According to the parts catalogue there is a Hall sensor and another "Switch" but it doesn't say what the other one does or show where it fits in to, sorry, confused :)

Rrusse11

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf, 5spd; 05 Jeep CRD
No need to even remove the wire from the switch;

https://www.harborfreight.com/electrical/electrician-s-tools/plugs-terminals-connectors/50-pack-quick-wire-splices-96230.html

Squeeze one of these on and you've shorted the switch, ie., the car
thinks the clutch is in all the time.

vintage red matthew

TDI
2004 New Beetle
I deactivated mine but for a different reason.

I injured my left foot and was told that I wouldn't be shifting for up to six months. I had to buy an old, cheap Civic with an automatic so I could drive.

After about three months I figured out that even though I didn't have enough strength to press the pedal with the ball of my foot I could press with the arch of my foot far enough to shift but my heel and toes would hit the floor before the switch was activated.

I bypassed the switch and was driving my car much sooner than I would have been.

Figit090

Veteran Member
TDI
Lifted Unicorn! '03 Jetta GLS TDI Wagon, 5spd, Candy White, Black leather.
Anybody notice the throttle response changes with the clutch depressed, even slightly (half an inch)? In my 2003 my throttle response is electronically limited to slowly increase revs, perhaps to protect something?

I can blip the revs up fast once I put weight on the clutch pedal or fully disengage the clutch.

How does this clutch start mod affect throttle response?

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
First off this is a hack, not a mod. Other than a physical limitation I would never do this.
But no, it would not affect throttle.

Wallace

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 quattro.
I had a bit more of a rake around on the net and found some pictures (other VAG cars) but pretty sure it will be much the same. I just need to get the bottom of the dash lowered and I should be able to see what I am doing.

I also found a You-Tube video where a guy fitted a 15 amp fuse, so just removed the wiring plug and plugged in the fuse. This should mean I can remove the switch altogether and keep it for future use if required but it will take the load off it, so when I go back to it (if) it should be like a new switch. Has anyone done this or are there any negatives anyone can think of?

Wallace

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 quattro.
Finally had a look at the car today and couldn't find anything. Further internet search has led me here, the clutch master cylinder is more like a plastic switch in this car (2015), there are 2 electrical connections/plugs to it and one is a removable switch sometimes called a hall sender and I think this is what I need. Thing is it looks like with the clutch pedal fitted, the plugs will be through the bulkhead, so in the engine bay. Also there are 4 pins in the multi plug so not sure I would know what I am doing, any ideas?
Couple of listings attached from the bay, pictures tell the story of my search :)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Clutch-M...l:Yeti&hash=item286d1f0304:g:OGAAAOSwr05dxWF4
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SKODA-YE...=223556115658200276118c29482caf75702f01cd8f3d