Head Gasket and Timing Belt

Kuuner

TDI
MK4 Golf
I bought my clunker at an auction for $1,700.00. Canadian import 5 speed manual with 330,000 KM on the motor. (I'm still trying to learn how to convert when i'm on the freeway but that's the least of my problems)
I knew there would be things to fix but, it started, drove, didn't get hot, shifted, etc. A/C worked, interior was complete (for the most part) and the body was clean, as was/is the paint, so i thought what the heck, would be a great commuter car for me as my daily trip is 108 miles roundtrip and at almost 50mpg, thought i couldn't go wrong.
I've already replaced radiator fans, overflow bottle and cap, control arms and bushings, the missing interior parts, some electrical parts (switches mostly) and so on. Again, no elusion as to the fact that i need and will need to do things to get this thing tip top but went in eyes wide open. My next job was going to be suspension all around and at the same time, do the timing belt but, i had this persistent coolant leak problem. Bottle pressurized and stayed pressured. No leaks anywhere. Good bottle (OEM). Good cap on bottle (OEM). Did dye test, no leaks showed. No peanut butter on oil cap. no bad hoses. No EGR coolant leak. No heater core leak so, i thought, dreadfully, that the culprit could only be the head gasket. Well, confirmed with my mechanic, it's the head gasket. So...argh. Sh*t. I don't turn wrenches but so far, working on these VWs has been liking adult Legos. Almost fun! I thought to myself, i'll do it myself considering my mechanic wants $2,346. Granted that includes timing belt kit as well as head gasket but for that money, i'll put a bullet in her before i spend it. Yeah, i'll spend $500 on parts and could screw it up but, still, even if i screw it up, i didn't spend almost $2,500.
So...my question. I have done the research for the timing belt change. Lock the cam, lock the injection pump, mark everything, be methodical, be slow and purposeful, yada yada. I get that and think i can do that but now that i have to do the head gasket as well, i started researching on doing that. Ok, seems straightforward enough. Even though there are lots of videos of guys doing it different ways (Turbo removed, turbo not removed, cam pulled out, not pulled out, etc.), still, some things are always the same and at the end of the day, the head comes off. Well? When the head comes off, the cam comes off with it so, once i get the head back from the machinist, how do i ensure everything is where it should be and that all my sprockets, belts, teeth, timing, etc. are where they should be, and were?

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
That is what those tools and procedures are for. If you have never done this and don’t understand what you have seen and read you may be about to really mess things up. You may need that bullet yet. Maybe some day someone will make a video of this being done with the motor on a stand so that everything can be seen and explained. If done wrong, you may see that the price quoted by the mechanic was worth every penny. Keep watching videos and researching until you don’t have to ask that question. Sorry I can’t be of more help.

Sent from my iPod touch using Tapatalk

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
http://pics3.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf

Read thru several times. Then some more. I believe my turbo diesel also has a "how to". Never needed more than the above. Beware of most YouTube videos. Some good ones, lots of idiots.
Taking the head off is relatively simple. Installing (correctly) a bit more involved. But, when doing the TB at the same time makes a head r/r a lot more tolerable.
Lots of typical machine shops tend to mess up TDI heads. Search forum member Franko6, at least listen to his advise.

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
I could add a little bit more. After you have followed the procedures using the tools recommended, remove the alignment tools and using a socket and large wrench or breaker bar on the crank shaft bolt, turn the motor over twice carefully feeling for any bumps of the pistons hitting a valve. If all goes smoothly bring the flywheel mark back up to TDC and then check the belt tensioner marks and reinsert the alignment tools without more than a fraction of a turn to reinsert the IP alignment pin. If all goes well the motor should start after priming the fuel system.

TLH_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta Wagon
After all adjustments are made to the motor and timing, recheck the belt tensioner marks using a mirror on a handle.

flee

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS wagon
BTW, there is no need to 'mark everything' or to mark anything at all.
find TDC on the flywheel and use the index mark on the housing.
The pump pin and cam lock do the rest.
One of the tell-tale signs of the 'mark and pray' timing method (bad)
are marks chalked or painted onto the TB and cam sprocket. Good luck.

Nuje

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Sportwagen; Golf GLS 2002 (swap from 2L gas); 2016 A3 e-tron
Frank's TDIs - he might have a head that's been rebuilt (he's the pro's pro of that job) for a bit more than your $500 machinist job. But at least you know you're starting the job with properly spec'd parts.

1007 Olive St
Lockwood, Missouri 65682
417-232-4634

I had to do pretty much exactly this same thing because I discovered the used car I'd bought had spider cracks on the lifters, indicating a busted timing belt that had simply been replaced....but no work done on the damaged valves/lifters).

Have the Bentley manual handy, read and re-read how-tos here; if something's unclear, ask a specific question (e.g., what's the best way to lower the head back onto the block?).

Kuuner

TDI
MK4 Golf
http://pics3.tdiclub.com/pdf/a4timingbelt.pdf

Read thru several times. Then some more. I believe my turbo diesel also has a "how to". Never needed more than the above. Beware of most YouTube videos. Some good ones, lots of idiots.
Taking the head off is relatively simple. Installing (correctly) a bit more involved. But, when doing the TB at the same time makes a head r/r a lot more tolerable.
Lots of typical machine shops tend to mess up TDI heads. Search forum member Franko6, at least listen to his advise.
Thank you! Awesome link and information.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
If, and when I did, take a head off a TDI it goes to Frank. He can also supply a complete kit to reassemble the head and the TB kit. Everything you need in one box so there is no "ooopps, I forgot about that" and more ordering/delays. His prices are reasonable, the kits are complete and high quality.