2015 Q7 vs. 2015/16 MB GL350?

OnePutt

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf (Silver) | 2005 Jetta Wagon (Spice Red)
Hello - I've been looking to buy a Q7 (TDI of course) for a while now, but wanted to know if anybody has compared the Q7 against the MB GL 350 BlueTEC.

I have a 2013 Touareg TDI, so I sort of know what I'm getting into w/ the Q7. I've read lots about the pano roof and Air Suspension on the Q7 being an issue. I presume the air suspension on the GL is prone to similar failure.

I'd love to hear a mechanics POV here on w.r.t. engine, transmission, turbo, electrical, issues. @oilhammer? :)
Thanks!

deezelpower

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI, 2015 Audi Q7 TDI
We love our 2015 Q7. I cross shopped the GL350 Bluetec but the high failure rate for electronics scared me off.

Now that they've been out for awhile the Mercedes are having above average complaints with the transmission. I kinda figured that going in, and knowing the Q7 has the same transmission and torsen center diff split as Toyota landcruisers (minus the lockers), it's something we'll likely never have any troubles with, I hope. And yes I'm aware of the propeller shaft bearing issue, and I'm ready when that comes, and big deal :)

The Merc was also $10-15k more so it was an easy decision for me. Zero regrets.