TDI painful experience. HELP NEEDED

ntmzp9

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
One last question. Before the engine replacement - in the 200 miles i had driven before engine breaking - When slowing down I would hit first gear and 15 mph and it feels like a hard engine brake. I mean hard. Brakes were not engaged, and would happen even if i turned the ESC (button center console). Now that I'm up and running I've driven it some but still hesitant to fully rely on it, as i still have what i would call an engine brake at same speed.

Foot is off gas and no braking, car is slowing down but around 15 mph I can feel front end "hold back"/bog down/engine brake. Even happens if i put car in neutral and coast to a stop. I did have to replace the turbo actuator as it was damaged from wreck, so my question is would vacuum pressure affect the engine like this - maybe i don't have the nuts "correct" even though they are within specs and no flashing lights are showing. Do i need to adjust the nuts down slightly on actuator so it doesn't fully "close" at low speeds? Or would this be related more to an EGR/intake issue?

Is it cause for concern? Not nearly as bad as it was before, but I'd hate for my timing belt to break again from something I've noticed happen on both engines. I don't even know what engine braking feels like - I'm just guessing. But it's not transmission related, for sure.

Growler

Got Soot Vendor
TDI
Schmutz, 2015 Golf Sportwagen DSG & Schnurren, 2001 Golf GL 2 door 5M
I went back and reread the thread but didn't notice if this is a manual stick shift car or a DSG?

if its a stick, 15mph is a bit fast to be downshifting into 1st gear. this would cause the RPMs to spike quite high and cause your car to slow down quickly. Any time you are off the go pedal and the car is in gear you are also engine braking. the old cars (ALH) used to completely turn off fueling during this time. not sure how the new systems act.

but you also state that it does this bog slow down thing while in neutral at about the same speed as you are coasting to a stop.. this is def a headscratcher.

ntmzp9

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
This is a DSG. And yes, pushing it to neutral - does the same thing around 15mph slowing down. If i'm at a stop and start to move forward, it does feel a bit "heavier" getting going unless i punch it. Things are smooth as can be 30mph and above. I bled all brakes and all seems well there.

JELLOWSUBMARINE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen, 6M, red/tan, navi, pano, 83 5m diesel pickup, 82 p/u trailer,.04 5.5 TDI Passat wagon (gone), 80,81,82 diesel p/u (gone), 80,82 sportruck (gone), 59 passthru bus (long gone), 79&87 westy (gone), 57 baja bug (long gone), 73 914
This is a DSG. And yes, pushing it to neutral - does the same thing around 15mph slowing down. If i'm at a stop and start to move forward, it does feel a bit "heavier" getting going unless i punch it. Things are smooth as can be 30mph and above. I bled all brakes and all seems well there.
Is it possible the hill hold feature has anything to do with it?

ntmzp9

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
I'm going to use VCDS to try and disable to hill hold feature. I did notice that if i jack up the front end, wheels on or off, the brakes are wanting to engage sporadically. I verified this by removing the calipers, letting it run in D, they turn smoothly at the all speeds, not just 15mph mark. With calipers on, they're grabbing. I bled through VCDS, but maybe disabling the hill hold feature will fully release them. Long story short, lesson learned. If you're rebuilding a salvage vehicle, the less electronics - the better! Also helps to know what you're doing but I'm getting there. hah!

ntmzp9

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
I was able to "disable" the hill hold feature, but still having the issue at low speeds. Luckily I don't have to hit much traffic to and from work, but still not sure what the issue is. Just seems like engine brake or brakes are grabbing 1-2 gear. I've searched extensively for the ABS delete - the ASR website (i think) where you put the long coding in refers to byte 29 but mine only goes to byte 19 in VCDS. Thoughts on how to fully disengage the ABS braking system through VCDS?

ntmzp9

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
I checked wheel speed sensors through VCDS and all are registering. Is there another group to check when ABS is kicking in? It's not lighting up on Dash - but it has to be that, right? Again, its only 15mph slowing down when i feel it. 5mph and it really grabs.

I did notice the requested load vs actual load. This is shown in %, and actual load at idle is -8% and requested is 4% i believe. I might have this backwards...but did a quick drive through parking lot and i'm always seeing a difference in these 2 numbers. How would i adjust load %? Could this be the turbo vacuum needing adjusted, or possibly why i'm feeling the front end bog down?

On a side note, I'm going to get rotors turned/check for sticking calipers. Maybe one isn't fully disengaging when slowly moving? Thoughts?

ntmzp9

TDI
2012 Sportwagen
Or could this be the DSG chatter people are talking about - needs to be reprogrammed? Would the DSG tune from Kerma take care of it?