www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Order your TDIClub merchandise and help support TDIClub

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > Meetings/ GTG/ Regional Discussions > West Coast Canada/USA

West Coast Canada/USA Local discussions for those on the West Coast of Canada and the US.

Old January 19th, 2013, 10:58   #1
Tap2112
Default Mini GTG/mod day in NorCal with Matt-98AHU

Anyone need any services from TDI guru Matt in the very near future? I may be having him come up to do some clutch and tranny work on two of my TDIs and I have a four post lift for him to do the work. I was thinking this might be a good opportunity to have him do some work on other people's cars while he is here since I know some of you can't make the big GTG in March.

Haven't set a specific date for his arrival just yet but we are discussing mid Feb.

I'm not looking to make this a huge GTG since I don't want to draw attention away from the San Pable event in March - and this is at my personal home so parking is limited - but I thought some of you might benefit from the lift since certain jobs (clutch, tranny, etc) are much easier when the car is in the air. Only caveat is that the work must be finished same day as I won't store any cars on the lift overnight (it's my parking space above my wife's car in my garage).

Also, if anyone is curious about Biodiesel this would be a good chance to share ideas, tips and experiences. I have been making Biodiesel for a number of years and have been successfully using it for more than 100K miles in my 4 diesels, including 3 ALH TDI's and a 7.3L F250 4x4.

If you're interested in having Matt do some work please PM me (don't just post up here as I don't check this thread daily). I need to coordinate dates and specific jobs for Matt if this is going to be successful.

Once a date is firmed up and we have some scheduled jobs I will post up more details.

Hope to meet a few more people as it has been three years since I've been to the San Pable event.

Feb 7 UPDATE:

Just as an update. I confirmed with Matt the date of Sat Feb 16. If there is more work than he can complete in one day it will become a two day event spilling over into Sunday the 17th.

As of now I have 5 confirmed people/cars plus my own TDIs. It will be everything from timing belt and routine maintenance to clutch work, gear replacements, nozzles, suspension and custom tuning. So a little bit of everything.

And with the four post lift each of you will get a good look at the underside of your cars if you haven't already done so. Makes it easier to spot unknown issues before they become problematic.

Last edited by Tap2112; February 7th, 2013 at 11:59.
Tap2112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 09:23   #2
Tap2112

140 views and no response (and no PMs)? A bit surprised especially since it seems that some people might not be able to make the San Pablo event in March. I thought a few people might jump all over this.

Anyhow, I'll keep this offer open for the rest of the week but if there is no interest I will pull it down on Friday since I leave Sat for 4-5 days and will need to know the status before I take off.

Cheers.
Old January 21st, 2013, 11:20   #3
kongjie

I have work for Matt to do (timing belt and perhaps suspension) and could make a mid-February date. Feb. 9 is no good for me, but I think the next week would work.
kongjie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 21st, 2013, 15:20   #4
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Fuel Economy: 52/47/39

There is a GTG planned for March ... for which I have only confirmed the date earlier this morning.

I would contact Matt and tell him about your offer to host a mini GTG since he is up here quite often and this would make him life easier to do the work at one location.
Too much to list but lots of love from Matt 98-AHU

Last edited by NewTdi; January 21st, 2013 at 15:25.
NewTdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 22nd, 2013, 00:25   #5
Tap2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTdi View Post
There is a GTG planned for March ... for which I have only confirmed the date earlier this morning.

I would contact Matt and tell him about your offer to host a mini GTG since he is up here quite often and this would make him life easier to do the work at one location.
I've been in contact with Matt and we are working on a date that he can come up here in Feb. I wasn't trying to supplant the March event (in fact I specifically stated that in my post) but some people can't make the March event - including myself since March 17 is my birthday and I am hoping to be in Tahoe.

I've had a few emails and PMs about it and am trying to figure out which date will work best for everyone, including me. As of right now the weekend of Feb 15-17 is looking best since I am busy on Sat the 9th (and so is one of the people who PM'd me about having work done) and I don't think Sunday alone will be enough time. I am flexible during the week, but I am guessing most other people are not so I figured a full weekend should be scheduled - including a Fri or Mon, if necessary.
Old January 22nd, 2013, 06:37   #6
NewTdi
Veteran Member

I might be in as I need to have 2 small things looked at ...
Old January 25th, 2013, 19:06   #7
Tap2112

So it is looking like this will take place the weekend of Feb 16-17. Not sure if it will be just one or both days (depends how many more people respond with work needed)

Here is a brief recap of the work requested so far:

Member#1: clutch, injector nozzles (on two TDIs), possible custom tune, 5th gear swap, other minor odds and ends

Member#2: Timing belt/tensioner/water pump and possibly some suspension work.

Member#3: 5th gear swap

Member#4 (maybe): DSG service and new cam on B5.5 BRM5.5 BRM

Member#5 (maybe): 2 small things
Old January 27th, 2013, 17:41   #8
B100
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 2003 Golf

Where dis be happ'nin? The Bay Area is so far-flung...
Old January 27th, 2013, 23:10   #9
Tap2112

Quote:
Originally Posted by B100 View Post
Where dis be happ'nin? The Bay Area is so far-flung...
Discovery Bay. Let me know if you're interested in coming. I will be PMing the address to all those who plan to attend.
Old February 7th, 2013, 11:57   #10
Tap2112

Updated first post...
Old February 7th, 2013, 15:57   #11
Tyan

I would like to have Matt to check out my 2004 TDI Golf. It probably needs a turbo replacement since it's making noise.
Tyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 7th, 2013, 22:40   #12
NewTdi
Veteran Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyan View Post
I would like to have Matt to check out my 2004 TDI Golf. It probably needs a turbo replacement since it's making noise.
what type of noise it is making?
Old February 8th, 2013, 12:37   #13
Tyan

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewTdi View Post
what type of noise it is making?
High pitch whining noise, bearing?

Lost power, sometime drives ok, it seems like the computer is trying to compensating it with a different programing curl

Leaking exhaust from the engine compartment, which some of it get sucks into the AC intake.

There's some oil in the inter-cooler. Not sure is normal or not.
Tyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 01:50   #14
oldpoopie

On a PD, that is almost certainly an exhaust leak from the egr cooler.

Email me, justgrow@gmail.com
oldpoopie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 10th, 2013, 21:08   #15
Matt-98AHU
Loose Nut Behind the Wheel Vendor

Fuel Economy: Depends on which TDI :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldpoopie View Post
On a PD, that is almost certainly an exhaust leak from the egr cooler.
Justin is very likely spot on with that one. Bring it on by, I'll have a look and verify! Let you know what parts you need to fix it up.