80 Ah TDI Battery Golf TDI 2002

Andreat

TDI
Golf GL TDI 2002
2002 Golf TDI GL, Original Battery 1 JO 915 105 AG
I called the VW dealer: do you have a battery for my 2002 TDI ?
"Yes, we do". The battery looks smaller: I measure it: only 10 " wide, same height and depth. The original is 12 " wide. The parts person says:"They changed the specs, it is smaller but it has the same power...". Trusting him, I buy the battery for $ 118.80
I get home, I check the numbers, and the new battery is only 330 A DIN, vs. 380 A DIN of the original. The Ah is also lower: 61 Ah vs. 80 Ah of the original.
New battery part #: 000 915 105 AD
Original battery part #: 1JO 915 105 AG
Question: shall I install it and go with lesser Ah (and lower weight)?. Do I risk painful winter starts in the cold Northeast? Does VW still has the real original or not?
Thanks,
AT

TDICADDGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2012 BMW X5 35D
I think they gave you a gasser battery. I would take it back and either get your money back...or the right battery for your TDI.

Interstate makes an excellent battery for TDI's.

Windjammer

Veteran Member
TDI
MK4 & Mk5
As TDICADGUY said. They gave you the wrong battery. You need the 80ah battery. The vw dealer where I get parts all batteries cost the same, so get the correct one.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
formerly: 2001 Golf GL, '97 Passat (RIP) '98 NB, '05 B5 sedan
Andreat said:
Question: shall I install it and go with lesser Ah (and lower weight)? NO.
Do I risk painful winter starts in the cold Northeast? YES
Does VW still has the real original or not? YES they do
Thanks,
AT
you're welcome

Andreat

TDI
Golf GL TDI 2002
Thanks for the info!!

I will proceed to order the correct one at a different dealership (the one I returned the battery to keeps insisting that they do not make the original one anymore and that I shoud settle for the lesser Ah).

AT

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
In defense of VW, their parts software (ETKA) is misleading on this point. I just went through this last weekend with my son's car and they tried to give me the gassser battery. Fortunately I was there in my B4 Passat and gave them the PN off that. The larger battery was the same price. Go for the bigger one.

TDIfor

Veteran Member
TDI
'02 NB Double Yellow
They should have verified the engine type of the car (my dealer did) and, for the NB, there is a size limit -- can't get the 80aH battery, only the 72aH battery fits (according to dealer - may be a third party battery that fits, but I didnt bother researching it that far.)

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'03 Jetta Wagon, 5-speed, 563K Miles (July '23)
IndigoBlueWagon said:
In defense of VW, their parts software (ETKA) is misleading on this point. I just went through this last weekend with my son's car and they tried to give me the gassser battery. Fortunately I was there in my B4 Passat and gave them the PN off that. The larger battery was the same price. Go for the bigger one.
__. I needed a battery in a hurry and went to the stealer. The parts guy showed me the spec for the gasser and "TDI". He sold me the "TDI" battery but I looked at it and it was only 72 AHr. I told him that I wanted the 80 AHr battery. He looked at it and said "Oh, you want the Jetta TDI battery; this is the Beetle TDI battery". Now, this may all be stealership ignorance/smoke blowing but it appears that there are multiple batteries out there in different sizes/specs and the VW info doesn't really provide a lot of guidance about which is which.

__. If you have a Jetta or Golf, be sure you get the 80 AHr (I'm not sure about the NB).

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You may be right, although ETKA doesn't differentiate. The smaller battery is what fits in the NB, IIRC.

Andreat

TDI
Golf GL TDI 2002
As of today 09/10/08 the saga of the 80 Ah battery is over.

Quirk Volkswagen in MA has a nice web site that allows to post a message for the Parts Dept. I got a quick reply by e-mail:"Yes, we do have a 80Ah battery identical to the original".

I visited them today. Nice Parts Master who quickly drops me the 80 Ah battery. $ 108 + tax (5%).

Parts # 000 915 105 AG. (the first three numbers are different, but the battery is identical, made by the same manufacturer, Varta)

Thank you for all the info.

Guess where am I going to buy my next VW Diesel?

AT

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
The Group 48 battery for the New Beetle TDI IS 80 AmpHr. Yes - it is physically smaller than the one you get for the Golf and Jetta.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
scooperhsd said:
The Group 48 battery for the New Beetle TDI IS 80 AmpHr. Yes - it is physically smaller than the one you get for the Golf and Jetta.
i'm pretty sure the group 48 is 72Ah.
You can't get the same Ah from a physically smaller package :eek:

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
tditom said:
i'm pretty sure the group 48 is 72Ah. You can't get the same Ah from a physically smaller package :eek:
__. The dealer parts guy told me that the "72Ah is the TDI battery" although I wasn't gonna buy that. He then later came out with an 80Ah (same as the one that came out of my car) "this is a TDI battery too". I dunno if he had picked up the smaller (visibly smaller and noticeably so when it was sitting on the counter) 72Ah as the NB battery but he was sure -- until I told him that I wasn't going to accept it -- that that was the TDI battery.

tditom

Top Post Dawg
TDI
yeah, the group 48 is the one that fits in the NB (unless you do some modifications), so 72Ah is obviously enough for a tdi. But for some reason they put the next larger battery into the Jetta and Golfs. I interpret this to mean that 72Ah is right on the edge, and 80Ah is preferable for the VE/PD tdi.

Funny thing is, at the Detroit Auto show I looked under the hood of the JSW and saw a 61Ah. Don't know if that is indicative of the new design needing less or not....

GeoffGo4It

TDI
VW Beetle 2002 1.9 TDI
Batteries for the NB TDI

I followed the thread with interest as I needed a new battery. The old one would die after 36 hours if the engine was not run. Checked with the local VW dealership but did not like the answer for their battery. I finally selected the Interstate MTP 91, Cold Crank Amps 700, Cranking Amps 875, 85 month limited warranty and it fits my NB TDI. Cranks right up like new. It will be interesting to see how it does in the cold weather as I run on WVO (75%). I'll let you know.

Geoff
2002 Veggie Bug
Rocket chip II

paramedick

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor
TDI
2015 Audi Q5 TDI
GeoffGo4It said:
I followed the thread with interest as I needed a new battery. The old one would die after 36 hours if the engine was not run. Checked with the local VW dealership but did not like the answer for their battery. I finally selected the Interstate MTP 91, Cold Crank Amps 700, Cranking Amps 875, 85 month limited warranty and it fits my NB TDI. Cranks right up like new. It will be interesting to see how it does in the cold weather as I run on WVO (75%). I'll let you know.

Geoff
2002 Veggie Bug
Rocket chip II
Deka also makes the correct battery for the A4 cars. 694RMF. It DOES NOT show as the correct battery in their database, but it is.

I put one in the B4 Passat awhile back.

Moesauction!

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2001 tdi 423,000 sold:[ , 2003 tdi 425,000 lower ryder hot rod 17/22 520rc southbend clutch. 2005 mercedes cdi 232,000 sold , 2003 7.3 ford 586,000 miles.
trust me when it gets cold youll wish you had the right oem one.

wolfskin

Veteran Member
TDI
Skoda Fabia Combi TDI
My strategy is: get the most powerful battery that fits in the space. Max current (Amps) is the more important when it comes to TDIs. The capacity (Ah) counts if you want to run accessories with the engine off (powerful stereo, parking lights all night, electric cooler box, etc.).

But for starting, the max current is the important caracteristic. The engine WILL start in any weather if the fuel is good and the starter can turn it over reasonably. Any battery will lose as much as 60% of it's power (max current) in cold weather. So even if a battery turns over the engine just fine in the summer, it might not start it in winter (oil very thick, too, so more power needed but less available).

The stronger battery, while costing a bit more will also live longer because it's stressed less in cold weather.

Last edited:

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
wolfskin said:
My strategy is: get the most powerful battery that fits in the space. Max current (Amps) is the more important when it comes to TDIs. The capacity (Ah) counts if you want to run accessories with the engine off (powerful stereo, parking lights all night, electric cooler box, etc.).
You have it backwards especially when it comes to a diesel.

Ah is the best indicator as to how well the battery can supply power to Glow plugs, ECU, ABS ECU, Cluster, oh and the starter!

The starter only requires between 150-200 amps so having 1000CCA isn't going to do you much good. TDI's used planetary reduction geared starters meaning they have very low amperage draw and are more about voltage than anything else meaning Ah is the PRIMARY consideration. Ah is predicated on maintaing voltage during high draw periods without dropping below specific voltage thresholds sufficient to power essential consumers.

But for starting, the max current is the important caracteristic. The engine WILL start in any weather if the fuel is good and the starter can turn it over reasonably. Any battery will lose as much as 60% of it's power (max current) in cold weather. So even if a battery turns over the engine just fine in the summer, it might not start it in winter (oil very thick, too, so more power needed but less available).
Again with a geared starter volts are more important than the marketing BS of CCA's.

The stronger battery, while costing a bit more will also live longer because it's stressed less in cold weather.
Stronger in what regard?

A proper battery will have the highest possible Ah rating, meaning it has a LOT of lead and plate mass which is needed to maintain voltage under high demand.

You can have a high CCA but very low Ah just look at an Optima, no guts all glory. The OEM battery can deliver nearly double the power and maintain higher voltages required for optimal starting rpms.

The best option of all is an AGM with full sized plates. These have massive Ah reserve and double to triple the required cranking amps (650-800).

DB

Ookpic

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Golf 2Dr 5spd
I fell upon this thread because it is starting to get a little cooler in the morning and the Jetta has only slightly slower turn overs when my car is cold in the cooler weather. So I know by now that the TDI requires special battery needs. So while I was doing a recent oil change I decide to take a look at the existing battery for any dates. I find an AC Delco 60 month battery under the battery lid??? It is physically a lot smaller than the box so I guess I'm up for a new battery ASAP. I did some calling around in case anyone from around these parts is interested. I really only sourced 2 batteries.

Interstate MTP-H7 and VW 000 915 105 AG. These seem to be the most popular choices. I really wanted an Optima but they don't have one that has the aH spec so I didn't bother.

2 VW dealers in town
$125 at one
$135 at the other

2 Interstate dealers I got ahold of
At one place it was $260 installed or $200 uninstalled
At the other place it was $190 uninstalled.

Guess I'll go to the VW dealership.

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
hid3 said:
About batteries: Do those OEM VARTA batteries need any maintenance or not?
__. I have a little experience ... I've kept three batteries until death (well, one isn't dead yet, read on) -- that's not an exhaustive scientific sample but it will do for me.

__. Following excellent advice on this website, I removed the fake stickers over the plugs on the battery on my '02 when it was about 6 months old. The water level had dropped a bit so I filled it with distilled water and repeated that at autumn/spring intervals until the car was totalled at nearly 5 years old. That battery was still hot as a goats ass after he'd been in the pepper patch for about a week. I have done the same on MzLauraLee's car, delivered Memorial Day of '03 -- that battery is now 5 1/2 years old and is showing no sign of getting old.

__. When my '02 sedan was totalled, I replaced it with an '03. That car was off-lease and had had maintenance in general badly neglected. The battery had never been maintained. As soon as possible, I opened it up and refilled the water (it was pretty low) but summer was coming so it did OK for about 6 months (not great but OK) but when the weather started to get cool, it really slowed down so that battery was replaced in late '07. (It would be "draggy" if the car had sat for a couple of days without being started, then after the car had run a bit, it would start more crisply. I am very leery of a battery that takes a "surface charge" - they're sneaky and will let you down at a bad time.)

__. The stickers on the tops of these batteries are there for show, only. This is not a "maintenance free" battery. If you want it to last, you have to peel off the stickers, refill with distilled water, and keep the terminals clean at regular intervals.

decan

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 jetta gls dk.blue
mrGutWrench
how is it then possible that the original battery of my 00 Jetta TDI lasted over 6 years without an additional drop of water during that time, and was only replaced as a preventive measure..... and the new maintenance freeVW battery has also not shown any indication as to needing maintenance for the past 3 years?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
If you go by the green eye, this does not indicate the water level in the battery.

The battery's are conventional lead acid so some water loss is normal.

The only true maintenance free battery is an AGM.

DB

mrGutWrench

Top Post Dawg
TDI
decan said:
mrGutWrench
how is it then possible that the original battery of my 00 Jetta TDI lasted over 6 years without an additional drop of water during that time, and was only replaced as a preventive measure..... and the new maintenance freeVW battery has also not shown any indication as to needing maintenance for the past 3 years?
__. Congratulations, I'm very happy for you.

hid3

Banned
TDI
Golf V 1.9 TDI-PD 105 HP
Just checked my VARTA battery. Unclipped one hole cover and looked inside: electrolite was underwater so nothing to worry about yet. My car is almost 3 years old.