Need help identify if axles are oem.

PhreQQ

TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan TDI
tldr; can you help identify if these axles are OEM?

Hello excellent TDIers, I recently bought another TDI, a 03 02m jetta with about 250k, and within the first tank the rack and pinion blew a inner rod seal something fierce. So I am in the middle of that replacement (along with a full suspension refresh, I think it was on original everything :eek:) and noticed how messed up my inner cv axle boots are. He said the boots were a little torn but no issues. Looks like PO tried to zip tie plastic bags over the boots :mad:...

The driver side is definitely smaller diameter and solid, while the passenger side is hollow. I first thought that must mean some cheap Chinese replacements went in at some point on at least one of the sides, but after searching around it sounds like that was actually by design to help with torque steering, neat. Is there any identifying marks or design that could help me identify if these are OE and I should consider replacing the cv joints instead of shelling out $700 for replacement new oem axles?

Last edited:

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The axles look like an OEM version to me, the twisted up plastic bag is not.

You can rebuild those with new joints, boots, or joints AND boots, however you need.

If you reuse the joints, swap them left to right.

PhreQQ

TDI
2003 Jetta Sedan TDI
No, I don't believe so. I actually work at the same company as both PO's :eek:

I've never disassembled a CV Joint before, are there any good videos?

ItAintRodKnock

Veteran Member
TDI
01GolfTDi
No, I don't believe so. I actually work at the same company as both PO's :eek:

I've never disassembled a CV Joint before, are there any good videos?
Definitely on YouTube.
I'll be doing mu first CV rebuild; new joints and boots. Ive read it is "easy" but dirty and time consuming.

Sent from my VS987 using Tapatalk