Timing Belt Replacement Cost

marko

TDI
Jetta 2001 GLS Silver
I just got a quote to change my timing belt on my 2001 Jetta. I can't believe it is $630 ($385 labor, $245 parts) CDN plus tax. As this has to be done every 64,000 it somewhat defeats the purpose of higher fuel economy compared to an efficient gas engine. Furthermore, the dealer has no information on the new belt and tensioner system.

Any body else besides the dealers do this service in Winnipeg?

cattlerepairman

Veteran Member
TDI
none
Yes, the price is actually quite ok for a VW dealership. I got quoted as much as 900 bucks for that job (in a particular dealership in Ottawa). Finally I had it done for about your price. Ouch. I know.

On my New Beetle it IS a finger-breaking exercise and I had no chance to do it myself during the winter.

You might want to mail "VWPetrolero" braulio@telus.net who is in Vancouver, I think. He recently posted that he can get VW parts for Canadians.
Getting the whole kit (incl. the new style belt and tensioner) and having somebody install it, is an option.

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
Hey Y'all,

I send my A4 timing belt kits to Canada for the same $184 USD including shipping. I use USPS as opposed to UPS and I've had several reports of customers receiving their packages and Not paying any duties though I can't gaurantee that duties won't be charged...just a thought. For some reason, UPS shipments are hit harder by duties.

marko

TDI
Jetta 2001 GLS Silver
Agree with Braindead. They seem to add their shipping and then charge a minimum brokerage fee together with taxes, shipping and if applicable duty. I ordered a case of Stanadyne Performance Deisel Fuel Additive - cost me $120 CDN. Shipping/brokerage/Duty cost me $150!! Now I have stuff shipped to a hotel in the US and bring it back when I go down for our weekend vacations.