transmission shudder

Zanzibarbob7

I have a 2002 TDI Jetta w/173K, auto trans. I have had the indicator light on for tens of thousands of miles and the tests indicate that the transmission is the culprit. What is curioius is that I may (on rare occasions) get a slight shudder when I accelerate BUT it occurs consistantly when the indicator light is OUT. I have checked the running gear, mounts, and cv joints and can say with certainty that it is coming from the transmission.

I know nothing of the auto trans's working but suspect that it may be some sort of valve or partially blocked fluid passage. The trans performs fine otherwise, is solid and shifts smoothly.

What baffles me is why the trans performs badly when the indicator light is off. I have had two mechanics look at it but the light was on and I could not duplicate the symptom at that time. Opinions please.

Thanks, Tom

Zanzibarbob7

It was checked 20K ago and the fluid was of appropriate color, not burnt, and up to level. I thought it might be a good idea to change it and the filter. It would be my first move given that I have no other solution at this point. Comments?

Joe_Meehan

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB TDI, 2002.5, Silver
My guess is the fluid should have been changed about three times before this. I would guess this one is going to mean a rebuild or replacement.

If you find you need a new or replacement, shop around and don't assume the dealer is going to give you a good deal or that they are the only place in town. I would look for a local INDEPENDENT transmission shop. No Chains.

Good Luck

Zanzibarbob7

Apparently it's the torque converter. It seems to be a common problem with the TDI. Fluid changes area at 100K so I was good there. Given that the symptoms are only an irritation and the trans runs well otherwise, it was suggested that I keep running it until or if things get worse. It's been doing this for a long time so I'll live with it. Thanks.

geraldk2

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta
Zanzibarbob7 said:
Apparently it's the torque converter. It seems to be a common problem with the TDI. Fluid changes area at 100K so I was good there. Given that the symptoms are only an irritation and the trans runs well otherwise, it was suggested that I keep running it until or if things get worse. It's been doing this for a long time so I'll live with it. Thanks.
Well, our 2002 tdi auto 198k miles is having the same problem plus it also delays locking into drive. ours started to shudder during acceleration this last month. No cel lights. Prior to that, the last 6 months or so its been hesitated going into forward drive pretty much all the time. It goes into reverse right away. This car was a commuter for a little old lady, I guess we should be thankful it made it this far :) I got a spare trans sitting on the garage floor from our totaled tdi last summer. Waiting for it to die completely then I will change them out. If I knew for sure it was just the torque converter, I would just change that. Its so dang hard to change the transmission, I want to make sure.